IEE

wincha

My daughter had her IEE today. She has a diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), the psychologist saw more depression. Not surprising, my son has bipolar. My daughter didn't want to take the tests and had difficulty answering some questions not because she couldn't because she was upset over the testing. My daughter doesn't respond well to new people (shy) and has problems speaking up and verbalizing at times. The tester asked me to tell her how important the testing is. I ended up sitting in the room. I hope the tester could see how it is difficult at times for my daughter to perform. The tester made a comment that she didn't see my daughter cry. I was kinda annoyed. She also asked me what tests she had taken and I was under the impression she talked to the school but the school was only called to arrange payment. So while I was talking to my teenager at home who was reading off the tests she took the tester told me she didn't have time for that and had to get started. It took me a total of 2 minutes to get the info. If the tester made me annoyed I'm sure she gave me daughter the same vibes. So we will see where it gets us. My daughters IQ is above average anyway. I hope the psychologist can put anything in her report so my daughter will qualify for an IEP. I explained all of the difficulty she was having at school and her emotions at school. The school is having a behavorial meeting this week, we requested an FBA and BIP and this is there process called a "FIT" meeting. I'm not sure if it meets the requirements of what we requested so husband is going to find this out.

Its so exhausting. Of course I can talk to my daughter but if her emotions overwhelm her she can't get tested, she can't perform at school and then gets in trouble with school. Can't anyone in this profession help or get a 10 year old child who is depressed and has anxiety?

wincha

Looking at my daughters backpack today. She had a book report.
She missed the day to read a book to a first grader so was supposed to read the book outloud to the teacher, class or student and refused all since she was too nervous. She wrote her 10 questions in which she was marked good but the teacher took the 40 points off of the 50 point assignment because she couldn't do the assignment, reading outloud. Now she has Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and I am so frustrated by the fact she failed an assignment due to her disability. She said she would read the book tomorrow in class. So I am going to call the teacher and suggest this. Isn't this evidence that her disability is affecting her education?

Sheila

How did you located the IEE provider?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can't anyone in this profession help or get a 10 year old child who is depressed and has anxiety?</div></div>

Yes, but based on my experience, it has to be a real team effort that crosses all environments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't this evidence that her disability is affecting her education? </div></div>

Yes. It's impacting her grades.

Martie

Sue,

Yes, children with mood disorders can be helped but if school is making things worse, it is REALLY difficult. been there done that in spades.

Are you satisfied with difficult child's therapist? I think this is critical although with the school situation, it is important for you to deal with that, too. However, in my opinion, the parent has to have a lot of confidence in the outside therapist. Here is what helped my ex-difficult child who had more depression issues but was also anxious: the outside therapist dealt with "life," and the school social worker dealt with school. What i found was that school generates its own problems, and a good internal therapist is part of the staff and can be an advocate for a mood disordered child. It is very difficult to use outside therapy time for what is happening at school. Others may not agree but even the school SWs who were not effective with ex-difficult child (who was a difficult child to reach)tended to be supportive of our family's efforts and quick to remind the other staff that we were dealing 19 hours per day vs their 5. The middle school SW was really excellent and compared favorably to private outside therapists.

Martie