I'm not sure my dog....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sally isn't going to last much longer. husband & I always had our "line in the sand" when it came to treating our animals - how far we would take it before we let them go.

But Sally, my wonder dog Sally, is 14 years old. She's been with us since she was 2 years of age. I'm making an appointment with the vet tomorrow to see if she will tolerate steroids - I asked him to do his best to keep Sally alive this year to the best of his ability. We're at the comfort care stage of Sally's life.

I watching my puppy dog & get more & more discourage. She's struggling with the half tiered stairs - not eating much or drinking for that matter. She sleeps her day away. Can make it only half way around the block.

I had hoped & still hope she makes it until after January or goes quickly now. Vet appointment tomorrow or Tuesday. We'll see., Maybe the steroids will help.

I don't know which way to go & I don't want to make this decision.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Everyone told me I would know when it was time. I did.
If their quality of life isn't good then it's up to us to make the decision to keep them from suffering.
I hope medications will allow her to be comfortable and she can be with you longer.

LittleDudesMom

Aww Linda, it's a sad thing when we watch our beloved pet suffer. The one and only time I ever saw bonehead actually cry was when we had to put our sweet dog, "baby" down. As Fran said, it is a quality of life issue and we have to think of them and not us first. Poor Sally.

Sharon

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm so sorry Linda. I'm with Fran though....you'll know. When we put Taz down it tore me up even though I knew it was much easier on him than letting it happen naturally. husband and I were with him as he went, petting him, touching him and talking to him and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

See what the vet says and go from there. Sending hugs for you, the Tweedles (whether they know about it or not) and for Sally The Wonder Dog.

Star*

call 911........call 911
After 14 years? I think you and Sally have a bond that no one else would ever recognize. When it's time? She'll tell you. My heart goes out to you Linda. I'm sure Sally's heart is aching just as much as yours. It's been a long, good friendship for you both. Love doesn't have an expiration date.

Sending a huge hug.
Star

TerryJ2

Linda, I am so sorry for you and Sally. Having just put a dog down this summer (Taffy), I can commiserate.
You will know when it is time. We made the decision to have Taffy put down, and she rallied--which they tend to do at the end, like they know what you're up to--and then she went downhill to the point where I was just drawing out her misery.

If the steroids help her out, go for it. You're lucky she can even make it halfway around the block. Taffy gave up about 6 mo's b4 we had her put down.

You are right to keep her out of pain, and to give this a lot of thought. You are a good mommy. Trust your gut.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't blame you for not wanting to make this decision. This decision is never easy and with so much loss this year, I imagine it makes it much more so.

I hope the steroids help Sally and keep her in comfort - or the vet has another trick up his sleeve. As long as she's comfortable, you know she'll want to be with you.

(((hugs)))

BusynMember

(((Hugs, LInda))) I'm so sorry. It's soooooooooooooo hard for those of us who consider our animal babies part of our family.

This is how hub and I decide when it's "time." Maybe it's dumb, but I'll throw it out to you.

We ask ourselves if WE would want to be alive if WE were in the same condition as the dog. Told you it's a little screwy. However, it helped us when we had to put our last baby down (English Cocker at age fourteen). He was suffering so much, could barely lift his head, yet he still managed to wag his tail...it was so sad. He had a skin infection and the vet said "He doesn't look like there is fight left in him to lick this. He's tired; let him sleep."

Anyway, much empathy for your situation from me.

Abbey

Spork Queen
No words of advice. been there done that. It stinks no matter what way you choose. I chose not to put my dog down probably many too years late, but in retrospect it might have been the right thing. Who knows. We had a couple of good last years.

Just enjoy what time you have. Give that doggie a good hug for me.

Abbey

witzend

I'm sorry, Linda. I know you will do what's best for your dear Sally. It's so hard to make these decisions when they can't speak for themselves. They trust us to do what is right.

KTMom91

I'm so sorry, Linda. It's such a tough decision, but Sally will let you know somehow. My Lhasa Fred let me know, though it was still so hard. He was nearly 15. Many hugs to you.

Steely

Sending peace & hugs your way. You will know if it is time.
I am so sorry things are so unbelievably difficult for you right now. I just don't understand how life can be this hard to such good people.

Lothlorien

I sure hope that she can be made a little more comfortable and make it a little longer. I know that it's just one more thing for you to deal with. NOT fair.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sally is taking rimadyll instead of the steroid. Vet thinks she's too weak to handle the heavy side effects of the steroids like she had in the past.

In the meantime, I massage her hips, give her some kind of drops in her water ( some vitiamin thing) & vet ok'd cheese, sausage, anything she'll eat for the time being. At this age, there's no reason to not treat her every now & then.

Vet told me to watch for certain things & others I will know instinctively. He did mention that Sally may be missing both husband & kt. Dogs get depressed "grieve" in their own right.

Thank you for your support ~ I'll do what needs to be done for Sally. I'll know the end time for her as well. I just don't want to acknowledge it right now.