IQ report (InsaneCdn - here is info you offered to review)

ksm

OK - I have my copy. Update... this was done in Dec/Jan 2012. difficult child is now 14 and starting 9th grade this fall.

VCI 114 82%
PRI 117 87%
WMI 102 55%
PSI 83 13%
FSIQ 108 70%

Then, on another page titled Table of Scores

Cluster/Test GE (Grade Equiviancy?)
Brief Achievement 10.5
Total Achievement 8.6

Broad Reading 10.7
Broad Math 6.7
Broad Written Languate 8.2

Brief Reading 13.0
Basic reading skills 13.0
Reading Comp 13.0
Brief Math 8.4
Math calc skills 5.9
Brief writing 7.9
Basic writing skills 10.6
Written expression 7.7

Academic skills 10.8
Academic Fluency 6.3
Academic apps 9.0

Letter-word identification 13.0
Reading Fluency 6.7
Calculation 8.3
Math fluency 2.8
Spelling 9.3
Writing fluency 8.8
Passage comprehension 15.3
Applied problems 8.4
Writing Samples 6.2
Word attack 10.0
Editing 12.8
Reading vocabulary 11.2

And... I have the report from testing at the mental health center when she was 9 years old. Part of it says " The results identify on the Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function to show significant problems with inhibition, working memory, planning and organizing, organization of materials, and initiating self.

The Stroop COlor Word Test shows her color word section significantly low with a T-score of 26 and interference score of -33 for this task.

The Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children hand movements, which identify visual reproduction and visual sequencing memory problems, resulted in a scaled score of 4, significantly deficient.

The d2 Test of Attention shows her concentration performance was deficient.

Test of Auditory Processing Skills - III shows her auditory memory was at the standard score of 95, identified as average. Her lowest subtest was auditory number memory forwards, performing at an age equivalency of 6 years 6 months, at a 16th percentile. Her strength was in sentence memory at the 75th %.

The Children's Color Trails Test performance was below average. This test screens for altered neurological functioning in children, looking at subtile neuropsychological dysfunction without structural evidence of brain damage as in some cases of ADHD. Her percentile scores for CCTT-1 on the Color Trails was 24 and CCXTT-2 at the 16th percentile.

The Development Eye MOvement Test resulted in an ocularmotor dysfunction, which is type II. Her horizontal test C was at the 10th percentile with an elevated ratio.

The Copeland SYmptom CHecklist, one given by her teacher and teacher assistant, as well as both brandparents, shows significance for inattention and distractibility, impulsivity, underactivity, poor achievement/cognitive and visual motor problems.

The List of Children's Behaviors, filled out by her adoptive grandparents shows some oppositional defiance as well as anxiety and ADD.

The Neurological Questionnaire shows significant prefrontal problems with a slightly elevated cingulate problem present. THey describe her as always seemingly impulsive, forgetting and/or losing her assignments in school, however, reading comprehension is above level. (What does this mean???)

On the Brain SYstem CHecklist she was significant for ADD, inattentive type and aneerior cingulate symptomatology.

The General Symptom Checklist shows Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Overanxious Disorder with some separation anxiety present.

OK... I left off a few things that were in the normal/average range. InsaneCdn - or anyone else who is knowledgable about these types of reports - please give me ideas of what I can ask the high school to help accommodate her so that she can succeed better.

KSM

ksm

Does the report include any recommendations?

The one from when she was 9 did.

paraphrased... (as I am getting ready to leave for work) medications to increase her dopamine level, which involves stimulants and / or Concerta that she was on prior to her assessment. In addition whe will need some coaching or organizational skills help. An increase in protein diet will help with alertness, concentration and attention with the production of catecholamines. Also increase aerobic exercises on a consistent basis. THere may need to be peer relationship counseling. I also want to make a referral to Dr. XXX (eye physician) to further asses thiss possible ocularmotor dysfunction, type II noted ont he Developmental Eye MOvement Test.

I never got a copy of this at the time - it was sent to her family doctor and was available to the therapist at the same clinic we had been seeing.

We did see the eye doctor, who prescribed bifocals... which didn't seem to work for her - as we could never keep them on. Her regular eye doctor didn't feel there was any real eye problem... but did regular glasses with a small correction as she complained of headaches when reading. SHe wouldn't keep those on either. She has not worn glasses for several years and we saw no problems without glasses. Still has headaches - which I feel are more stress related or a defense mechanism when she doesn't want to do something. KSM

On the IQ test... It says, The results of this evaluation do not find that a Special Education identification is appropriate. Behavior concerns are reported, however no school referrals or discipline points are on record. Redular ed coud do a 504 paln to address study skills, such as her slowness in doing paper and pencil tasks, if cocumentation that J is ADHD is made. However, after spending several hours with J I don't believe she would take advantage of any accomodations. Sincer her grandmother has reported problems with somatization and no health concerns were reported ex allergies, this may be an area her grandparents will want to rule out. J is currently seeing a therapist ahd the therapist will want to address her report of symptoms of depressions which should be followed by interventions to decrease the family stress being experienced.

Did you like the school psychs quote about J not being willing to accept accomodations? This psychiatric was very condescending to me at the meeting... She actually told the group that when J asked her why she had to do all this testing, the psychiatric told her - "the same reason I had to give you the test... because your grandmother wanted it done!"
May not be able to reply til this evening. KSM

TerryJ2

Good grief, good thing there's someone here to interpret this!
The only thing I noticed was that the math score was very low. Which does not surprise you, I'm sure.
Best of luck.
As you know, the more answers you get, the more questions you have ...

T

TeDo

Yes, the GE stands for Grade Equivalent. It seems that reading, comprehension, etc are a strength. Math is definitely a deficit so help with math (1:1 explanations, assistance, no timed tests, extra time to complete assignments, MAYBE shorter assignments, etc) is definitely justified. She will probably get frustrated and either angry or depressed if she doesn't get enough help in math. The rest looks like she's really close to her grade level. Expressive writing also seems like a smaller issue. You could ask for help with things like a choice of writing topics, a voice to text program, use of technology for taking notes and writing assignments, things like that to help.

It looks like she has a lot of potential in most areas. Except for math, she's really close and might only need minor help in some of the areas. Hope this helps.

ksm

Today, the school psychiatric at the high school returned my call. The 8th grade principal had given me her name and number. She sounded so much nicer and on the ball than the one I dealt with earlier in the year for junior high. She has the testing done by the other school psychiatric, and will soon be able to access the junior high records thru the computer once it rolls over. (not quite done with 8th grade yet) She gave me the name of the counselor and told me that they have a social worker availabe to the students a couple days a week. She said they have a "class with in a class" for most of the core subjects. She said that meant that it is a regular classroom with regular students and some students that need extra help. There are two teachers in the class instead of one. She said all the teachers will work with students and try to find out learning styles that work for them.

I know there will probably be a few more bumps in the road... but it sounds SO MUCH BETTER than what we had in 7th and 8th grade. For a bright kid, my difficult child has struggled and wouldn't have passed if I hadn't been the one to keep on her and be the go between person for her and the school. My last couple of emails brought her English grade from a D to a B!! Just by telling the teacher the work was done and forwarding copies of a couple reports that were still on my computer that she said she didn't have. Most the work difficult child does is A and B's but she gets enough zeros that brings it to C's and D's.

KSM

InsaneCdn

OK, just remember... I'm "just" a parent too. But had to figure some of this out because of difficult child.

1)
VCI 114 82%
PRI 117 87%
WMI 102 55%
PSI 83 13%
FSIQ 108 70%

No MAJOR spreads here, but processing speed is a weakness. That doesn't qualify her for much, except maybe some accommodations. Here, that would be another factor in her receiving "standard ADHD accommodations", such as taking tests in a separate room (less distraction) and specifically untimed, which also helps with a processing speed weakness.

Then, on another page titled Table of Scores

Cluster/Test GE (Grade Equiviancy?)ing

2) Grade Equivalency... they "usually" don't consider the results to qualify them for anything extra, unless they are at least two grade levels lower than where the student is at. She's in grade 8. Technically, as these were done in Dec, she was at 7.5...

Brief Achievement 10.5
Total Achievement 8.6

Broad Reading 10.7
Broad Math 6.7 - slight weakness
Broad Written Languate 8.2

Brief Reading 13.0 - obviously, reading is a strength
Basic reading skills 13.0
Reading Comp 13.0
Brief Math 8.4
Math calc skills 5.9 - weakness, but still within 2 grade levels
Brief writing 7.9
Basic writing skills 10.6
Written expression 7.7

Academic skills 10.8
Academic Fluency 6.3 - weakness
Academic apps 9.0

Letter-word identification 13.0
Reading Fluency 6.7 - strange, when the other reading ones are strong... unless it ties to processing speed.
Calculation 8.3
Math fluency 2.8 - *** significant difference ***
Spelling 9.3
Writing fluency 8.8
Passage comprehension 15.3
Applied problems 8.4
Writing Samples 6.2
Word attack 10.0
Editing 12.8
Reading vocabulary 11.2

Obviously, Math is a problem. But it's an "uneven" problem... from a weakness, to a disability. Most schools would not qualify that for Special Education. Probably not needed. Sometimes, they will "stream" the kids - esp. for math - so that there is one smaller class with the kids who are weakest in math, with a shared aide as well, so that they can get these kids up to speed. Doesn't look severe enough to qualify for dyscalcula. But... with her processing speed on top of it all, I wonder what other accommodations are out there that might help. For example... being allowed to use the calculator for all basic math facts (i.e. no mental math). Maybe, because reading is a strength, she could have access to more completed examples with details explained, so she can "self-teach".

Be aware that results that are more than 4 years old, are not considered "current". They are "background info" but won't drive accommodations and interventions.

She definitely needs every ADD/ADHD accomodation they can give her. Especially untimed tests. Working memory being a weakness, they might allow her alternate-format tests for classes like math, science, maybe history... i.e. no paragraph-style recall answers... more short-answer, pick-from-list, multiple-choice, etc.

Just some ideas. Overall, she's in pretty good shape.