It May be Nov but...........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The people in our town are gearing up for the holidays. We had another huge chunk of the population lose their unemployment benefits in sept.

The folks who fixed up bikes for kids last year ranging from toddler to teens, is doing it again. I'm giving them Travis' new bike. The one he bought at school, crashed a few times and decided it was better to walk. lol And a couple of the grands ride ons .....ok mostly Aubrey's because they're pink. lol

The church that organized the clothing and school supply give away is doing the same type of thing for xmas. Anything you have in decent shape you have to give away, they'd like to have from housewares to clothes and toys ect. Including wrapping supplies. They set up a daycare type area and watch the kids reading them stories and feeding them goodies while the parents "shop" for free.......everything is wrapped up before the parents pick up the kids, so kids don't see anything. It's not based on income and people don't have to prove their poor to shop at it. It's for anyone having a hard time.....including people working their tails off to make ends meet who don't have anything extra left over for luxuries.

easy child is helping Darrin and Brandon sort through the boys toys for ones they no longer want. Now I told you how these lil guys get spoiled........so yeah, they have tons that are still in good shape. easy child does this every year because otherwise there would never be room for the new xmas toys from santa.

Nichole is going to help Aubrey go through her stuff and she's going to do the clothes that Oliver has already outgrown.

I already have quite a large batch of stuff I had ear marked for goodwill, but instead will donate to their xmas drive. I'm sure I'll find much more as I continue to clean.

There is toys for tots here too now. And our local food/clothing shelter has always given out for xmas.......although I'd never recommend their gifts as they were pathetic at best. (I'm not being mean, they really were) But these people are not only helping the very poorest, but are also reaching out to help those that don't technically qualify as "poor" but can barely keep a roof over their heads and food on the table right now. Says a lot.

This is why I love this town. It's not perfect, but it still has that little town heart.

cubsgirl

Wow - that is a really nice idea. I'm sorry to hear that your area has been hit so hard.....but your community's outreach really reaches the meaning of "Christmas Spirit" :)

T

TeDo

I remember you telling us about this last year. I still think this is phenominal "community spirit", "Christmas spirit", "brotherly love", and all those other things.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our community does similar things. It is one reason that husband stayed here after college, that I came back here to finish college after 3 yrs at a huge univ in a big city, and that we moved back for husband's grad school and have not moved away. That community spirit is something that you just don't find everywhere. I am glad your area has it, Lisa.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. I'm glad too. This is a year round attitude. It's why I love this little town so much. It's not perfect, and there are just some things about living in a small town that can drive you nuts. But this makes it worth it in my opinion.

And I'm tickled. I found 2 ride on toys of Aubrey's to donate. I just need to wash them up. She outgrew them years ago and the boys have the lil tyke cars to ride in. I'd have donated them last year but I actually forgot they were out there.

tiredmommy

I wish I knew of something like that around here... Duckie is finally willing to part with some of her 'big' toys.