It's nice to know

Wiped Out

Staff member
that sometimes the school system isn't totally screwed up.

Today we had difficult child's IEP meeting after school. Actually although we thought it was his IEP it was just going over the BIP to see what changes needed to happen.

The LEA, person chairing the meeting, was from downtown. She was called in because of the recent problems going on. She also chaired last year's final IEP meeting. She was really good and kept difficult child at the forefront. Saying our job was to make sure difficult child's needs were met.

To begin husband started off very upset and let everyone know how we are feeling about all that has been going on with the other child that has been bullying difficult child. Then I talked and, of course, cried.

She was great and the BIP had very little changes to it and the ones that were made are for the better for difficult child.

She also said she had seen the letter husband and I sent to the asst. superintendent and thought it was well written and that we need to start looking at things from our parents point of view and to make sure we are being heard and not to worry about how it looks that we are employees of the district.

She gave us good advice and we will be having difficult child's psychiatrist and nuero-psychiatric. write letters explaining how his behavior is directly linked to his disabilites. We did something similar last year but this will be even more specific.

We both really feel that we were heard. She even volunteered to come back for the actual IEP meeting as she has a real interest in difficult child. She also said that the spec. ed teacher should invite someone from the middle school difficult child will be going to next year.

We are also hopeful that we will get the middle school we requested for difficult child next year.

All in all we were very please with the meeting.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wonderful news Sharon!! And it nice to know that there are professionals out there in the system who do really care about our kids. Sadly we only met less than a handfull over the years but those people still are remembered and appreciated even now that my kids are out of school.

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
It must be so refreshing to have someone on your side. Someone who will help you fight this battle. Yay!
I know there are a lot of professionals who care about our kids but not every one of them is effective or knows how to be an advocate. Congrats on having one on your team.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

As someone who has only had positive experiences with the school and the school system in relation to special needs, I can't tell you how happy I am that you had someone who you felt truly understood not only your perspective, but difficult child's needs!

Seems you can move forward. I am curious as to what solutions/suggestions the school made regarding this child who has been egging on/teasing difficult child.

Glad the meeting was so positive. In regards to the middle school, you know it may be different since you and your husband are educators, but I didn't want the middle school to know too much beforehand. I kinda wanted difficult child to make a new start with too many preconceived notions on the school's part about who he was or what type of kid he was. So we had a good IEP in place going in by his old school so I just left it at that to start. As needs arose, it was handled at that time.

Sharon

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

It has to be a relief that your concerns were not only heard but addressed. The fact that the LEA kept the meeting directed on difficult children educational needs was wonderful!

I hope that any & all changes are implemented quickly.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have often thought it was very hard to be parents of a difficult child and employed by the school system. I know here those parents get pressure to not push for the treatment the child needs. In fact, one family was threatened with both parents being fired if they kept voicing problems with teh middle school Special Education teacher (same one who fed all my difficult child's obsessions). I am glad your school district is different, and that this LEA person thinks you should address your difficult child's problems solely from the position of being difficult child's parents.

Soudns like a good meeting.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. It does seem so often sds don't come through for our kids and at times ours hasn't but at least this time it did and it feels good to have someone in our corner.