Just got home

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Jungleland, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. Jungleland

    Jungleland Welcome to my jungle!

    from the ER with easy child 3 "J". 5 1/2 hours of waiting, tests, more waiting, more tests, waiting, cleaning up vomit, waiting...

    About 5 weeks ago, J and our whole family had the stomach flu. Really bad, high fevers, etc. The rest of the family got over it in about 2 days. J had it about 6 days. Ever since then, she has had what we thought was 2 more episodes of the flu. Doctor said after the 2nd bout that she is just one of those kids who is susceptible to the flu.

    Well, right after snack this morning, she started crying that her tummy hurt again. I had her lay down and she slept for 3 hours, this is a kid that never naps!

    No fever, just really bad tummy pain. I called her doctor, she was out till Wednesday. So, the office said to go to ER if it continues.

    She was doing better when she woke up. Then ate dinner, didn't eat more than a few bites and was crying her tummy hurt again.

    So, we decided to take her to the ER. They gave her medications to help with nausea, since by the time we got there, she was vomiting.

    Blood tests, then more blood tests. Her liver enzymes were sky high.

    Not sure exactly what this all means, but ER doctor thinks it may be Hepatitis A. He was thinking of admitting her but the vomiting stopped so he sent us home with orders to see her pediatrician tomorrow (today:tongue: )

    The whites of her eyes are slightly yellow, her skin is already so tan I can't tell if it is yellowish or not.

    I, of course, am very worried. She was so good during all that waiting.

    Going to try to get a few hours of sleep, will update after she sees doctor tomorrow.

    Worried mama, Vickie
  2. WhymeMom?

    WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

    Hope you get answers and she gets relief from the illness...... thinking of your family.......
  3. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    If the whites of her eyes are slightly yellowish, odds are it's something to do with the liver. So, hepitits sounds resonable.

    Now bare with me I'm not up on the latest immunizations, but I'm pretty sure hepititis was one of them. But I know there are I think 3 types of hepititis. I haven't as yet had my first cup of coffee so my brain is foggy. lol I'm trying to recall which is which, but I think the vaccination was just for hepitits B.

    Anyway, I'd think the blood tests they ran should have shown if it is hepititis. And I'm thinking with your little one so acutely ill, she should have been admitted regardless of the fact she'd stopped vomiting.

    Keep a close eye on her and I hope the pediatrician doctor can get her in today. Poor kid. Prayers being said. Keep us updated.

  4. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Daisy, we just started the Mighty on Hep A. shots.

    Vicki, I hope that's not what it is, but it is acute and once it's over, she will have an immunity, so you may very well not need the shots. I hope she gets better quickly.

    Get some rest.
  5. Jungleland

    Jungleland Welcome to my jungle!

    Still waiting for pediatrician office to call me back. What a horrible night. She tried eating some crackers cause she was starving. Within 20 minutes she was writhing in pain again, then vomited. Only slept about 2 hours last night.

    This morning she tried a tiny bit of dry cereal, again major pain and vomiting. No fever, but she is in so much pain.

    I just called pediatrician office again and pediatrician isn't in till 9. I am debating on just taking her back to ER.

    This is so scary!
  6. Star*

    Star* call 911........call 911


    Hope you find some relief for J. This is just awful. Hope YOU get some sleep.

  7. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    If the pediatrician cannot get her in immediately, I'd let them know you'll be taking her to the ER. Poor kid. I hope she feels better soon!
  8. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    How frightening and frustrating! I'm sorry she (and you) are going thru this. I hope they identify any problems soon and she starts feeling better. I wouldn't hesitate to take her right back to the ER- even though I hate the wait there, too.
  9. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    If she can't keep anything down, Pediatrician should admit her for IV drip. She can dehydrate pretty quickly. Update us when you can.
  10. Abbey

    Abbey Spork Queen

    Yellowing of the eyes is a direct sign of liver concerns. It usually starts under the bottom lid.

    Hep doesn't have to be the contagious kind either. I have auto-immune Hep. It's like my body went to the store to pick just the right organ to think was bad and put on a full force battle against it. They picked my liver...not my kidney or spleen. Shoot - they could have just yank those out. Liver? No.

    If her tests come back negative, they'll probably retest because they have a lot of false negatives. If THOSE come back negative, I'd suggest to the doctor that it might be auto-immune. Very few doctors are familiar with it so it's relatively hard to get treatment.

    Update when you can.

  11. Jungleland

    Jungleland Welcome to my jungle!

    Home again. More blood work. pediatrician put her on Zofran for the nausea/vomiting. Her liver is not enlarged but it is really inflammed. If nausea medication doesn't work, then I need to bring her back in ASAP. Has her on chicken broth, Gatorade and Saltine crackers only. I am to bring her back in on Friday morning for follow up blood work to see if the Liver enzymes have lowered.

    If things get worse or not much better, then she will be ordering an Ultrasound and maybe a CAT scan.

    She is testing her for Hep A & B, Mononeucleosis, Epstein Barr and several others I forget the name of. She thinks that whatever virus we all had weeks ago, for some reason settled in her liver.

    I was kinda surprised that she didn't admit her but if we can handle this at home I guess that is better for her. She doesn't need to contract any hospital infections!! We have to keep her home and quiet.

    So far she has had 2 sips of Gatorade, several sips of water and 1 cracker. We shall see in about 20 minutes if she can keep this down.

    Gonna go lie down with her, try to catch up on the missed sleep.

    Thanks all!! Vickie
  12. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Really push the fluids with her! I hope she tolerates them and can keep it all down. She will be MUCH more comfortable at home, but if she gets dehydrated, they may have to admit her anyway.
  13. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Glad you both are home and that she is drinking some. I hope that it's just the virus that you had and nothing more serious. Thanks for the update!
  14. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Scary-I hope she is feeling better soon.
  15. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    How's J doing today, Vicky?
  16. Jungleland

    Jungleland Welcome to my jungle!

    Hi family,

    Just got home...again! Took J to ER Thursday morning and after tests revealed that her liver enzymes were even higher and the bilirubin was higher in her urine, they admitted her. IV fluid, tummy rest, nausea/pain medications via IV.

    Hep A, B and C were all negative, YEAH!! So, now they think it is Mononeucleosis. Will know on Monday. I have to take her back Monday morning for more labs and then see her pediatrician in the afternoon.

    She is feeling better, being arnery now! ;) Still no BM since Monday, but getting her on prune juice so hopefully that will help. She is on a low protein diet, giving her liver a "rest".

    Was a pretty scary couple of days, I am exhausted. Heading off to take a shower and then a nap! easy child 1 and her fiance are headed up to spoil J and give me and husband a little break.

    Thank you all for your continued support!

    Love and hugs, Vickie