Klmno...any updates from the week?

DDD

Just thought I'd let you know I've been thinking about you and difficult child. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that this week has been calmer than last. Hugs DDD

klmno

I just saw this as I'm having my coffee and trying to catch up on reading others' threads. Nope- not really anything to update on. The counselor is coming over Monday to meet with me privaately, I'm trying to line up condos/townhouses to look att this weekend and I'll be visiting difficult child and trying to get some things prepared to move at home this weekend. I've been spending evenings after work combing thru online ads for places to rent and calling to try to schedule a showing but I have to tell you, it appears that most are being managed by realtors and itt's hard as hades to even get them to return a call, much less schedulae anything, for rental property. I suspect the relators are getting people to agree to let them list their houses for sell by promising to get it rented out for them if it doesn't sell, but when it actually turns out that the place needs to be rented out tthe realtors don't seem to have any time to spend on showing it- they are too busy trying to sell other property. This might be why so many places aren't even being rented out now. I have probably called about 10 places this week and have all of one actually scheduled to see today- and this is the owner I'm dealing with for that one. It's in the same complex as one I came close to renting last Oct, that has 2 master suites and a pool in the complex. I just don't know if I want to drive that far to work or pay that much in rent.

Thanks for thinking of me!

JJJ

I would keep in mind the commute to work and difficult child's school. It'd be great if it was close enough that you could run between them on your lunch hour if you needed.

klmno

That's what I'm looking for, JJJ, but I can't get people tto respond and schedule a showing- maybe they are just going quickly and I'm not first in line when answering an ad.

DDD

Hope you get something soon. I'll toss in a couple of thoughts...don't I always?? LOL.

Where I live now (rural) and where I lived before (urban) there were specific real estate offices that either specialized in rentals or had an agent who did. Even at most desperate economic times I did not touch a rental property. There are a pain in the fanny and you get very very little money for your time. on the other hand I had a cousin by marriage who made a decent living and didn't mind the hassle. So...perhaps...you could call a bunch of real estate offices in your area and just ask the person on duty "could you refer me to an agent or an office that deals in rentals?" You could luck out and get good direction. on the other hand, it may be a complete waste of time, lol.

Second and last unsolicited input for the morning. Make sure you have a prepared reason for your relocation. Although your moves make sense you want to avoid too much information and yet be perceived as a quality long time potential tenant. Hoping the "right" place is available pronto. Hugs DDD

klmno

That's pretty much what I'm doing. There is a TH that looks perfect but every time I talk to a realtor from that office, they say they'll call me back after they contact the listing realtor (also frrom that office), then I never get a call back. That's why I think someone must already have an app in on it or the listing agent just isn't being responsive. I can't get the phone number to anyone exxcept the main office number. I've tried to contact them every day since Tues.

As far as reasoons- that's no problem- better sd, etc. difficult child has a little over a year left in HS so that would be reason enough.

JJJ- one other thhought- I can be either near my work or closer to the new PO/csu office. I'm trying to weigh all that with sd, decent neighborhood/environment for difficult child, cost, etc. Also, I'm trying to get another job around here and this place I'm scheduled to look at today would be a lot more convenient if I get that job.

DDD

I'm BIG into newspapers. In the "big" city the Sunday paper had the most real estate coverage and you could pick up an issue on Saturday night. For years that was my "big" Saturday night excitement as often new listings were in that issue and I had time to driveby and checking them out so I could hit the phone early Sunday morning. Also those free real estate magazines can lead to something good, too.
Fingers crossed. DDD

klmno

OK- I was able to finally look at the one I'd been waiting to see all week. The inside features are better than where I live now, except they need to upgrade to refrigerator but I'm making my app contigent on that. The outside in front is worse than where I live now because it's a sea of pavement. The rear fenced yard is a bit bigger and it backs up to a creek- which is ironic because every place difficult child has lived (in the free world) since he was 2 1/2yo has backed up to a creek. It's 2 miles from where I live now and the complex is accessed at an intersection with a red light, making it easy to make those left turns in rush hour to drive to work. If difficult child is standing turns left at that intersection, he can walk .8 mile and get to shopping centers and fast food restaurants- think summer job here; if he goes straight for .8 miles, he's at the front door of his school. If he turns right and walks 1.1 mi, he's at a huge YMCA. It's 30 more a mo than what I pay now, a better sd, and larger rooms. How's that for "mom" work? LOL!

The bad thing is that it will take me 1 hour, min, from the time I leave work and pick difficult child up to get him to tthe CSU to see his PO.

The alternative is to find something closer to the csu but pay more to be in a nicer neighborhood and me ddriving about an hour ea way to/from work. They are nicer but you know, it leaves me less money.

Oh- the realtor who showed me this place said my credit score was high enough to buy again now. I don't want to right now but that's nice to know so I can start saving for that and we'll see how things are going with difficult child, work, etc, in about 15 mos when difficult child has graduated HS (hopefully) and the quality of sd will NEVER again be my concern!

Oh- I forgot to mention 1 more positive about the TH- it has a security system- and 1 more negative- it has pull down steps to the attic in what would be difficult child's BR- giving him another attic to hide things in.

I forgot to tell you all something else about the current PO- once a few mos ago he told me another of his "clients" was held up on his release for mos awaiting a halfway house, then the last time we had a face-to-face mtg, he told me another one sat at home 3 weeks after his release awaiting to get into sd, then he busted out laughing over that- which I didn't find dunny because it probably left the kid out of school so much he couldn't pass anything for the semester. But what stuck out at me along with his attitude about it, was that it appears a lot of his kids have trouble having any smooth transition and it's up to PO to coordinate all that. Just another example where it appears to me he's not focused on getting his job done accurately and timely.

Mattsmom277

I'd say take the place. It all sounds good except the drive to PO. However that won't be daily and the daily perks for living there sound good. It sounds to be located conveniently for all your and difficult children needs. The drive would stink but the price and location sound more than enough to make up for it.

A good living situation will go a long way to keeping your spirits and difficult children up while dealing with his PO stuff.

At only 2 miles from your current spot, would that be enough to get you away from current PO's region? Also, have you confirmed that this current idiot can't decide the distance is close enough to find a legal way to force himself to keep jurisdiction under some guise of continuity of service or some such excuse?