Lessons learned

everywoman

For the very first time in years, I sit here tonight to post with a positive heart and uplifted spirit.

Tonight I hosted a Pig Pickin'. For all of you not from the south, you cook a hog on the grill, all day, and the the guests, pick from it. I had about 40 people attend. I had a great time.

Two years ago, this would not have happened. husband was fresh out of rehab for addiction to pain pills, and difficult child was in rehab for the same. easy child daughter was dating a guy who was also in rehab. My life was an enmeshed and I was so co-dependent that my happiness was based on the lives of those I love.

I have learned so much from this site. I have been here since 2005, the first time difficult child was hospitalized. I am happy to say that today, I am so free and clear from worrying about those I love that I can truly enjoy life.

I have learned that I can't control anyone but me. And that I can love the people in my life, even after they have disappointed me.

I go to sleep tonight happy and satisfied. My oldest is married with two precious babies. His marriage is his responsibility. difficult child is sleeping here tonight for the first time since May. His girlfriend and her son are also here, and I can deal with his choices in life without judgment or prejudice. Pcdaughter is also here and happier than I've ever seen her.

Tonight life is good, and if I never have another, then tonight, having a good night with my family is enough!

So, my message for you al is to enjoy each happy moment. You never know when disappointment will rear it's ugly head. But with good memories, you can sustain.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
EW

That is fabulous. :D And so very true.

And OMG I wish you lived closer! I'd have died to have gone to your pig pickin'!!! I love pork that way! Course, I love pork period. lol

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a wonderful update on survival and thriving regardless of the curves life throws our way.
Glad you had a great day and wise enough to relish it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Moments of acceptance and contentment are rare. I'm happy that you were blessed with one and that you recognized it. What a great post. Thanks.

Suz

DammitJanet

Kat...seems like a whole lot longer than 2005! You sure have packed a lot into those few years...lol. Wish I could have made it down for that pig pickin. I love them.

Whats this about difficult child having a girlfriend with a little one? Hmmm...spill? LOL. Im glad they were able to stay over with you feeling good about it. Very nice.

Maybe this summer we can get all the kids together. With the pool!