maybe difficult child isn't

crazymama30

we went to McDonalds for dinner. difficult child orders the most complicated burgers, and they are not usually right. He was screaming, yelling, almost in tears and almost threw his plate across the room, I grabbed it. psychiatrist is on vacation, so this will have to wait, but this was almost a rage. He controlled himself before it got too far, but I have never seen this before. I really did not like it. All over a hamburger. Wow. This, up to that point, had been a good evening.

F

flutterbee

I have found that often when my difficult child flies off the handle over something small, it is either the proverbial straw or she's too tired.

A former co-worker had an expression that seems to hold true: it's the ants, not the elephants. Big things come along and we hold it together, but then something small happens and we lose it.

crazymama30

Usually when he loses it (and he has never lost it like that) It builds. We or he has a bad evening or day, and eventually it goes from bad to worse. This was new for us.

Steely

If it makes you feel better, our last phosph admin was over a hamburger too. I had never seen anything like it either, because usually he builds into a rage - this - was like a bolt of rage - all stemming because BK put tomatoes on his burger. Obviously his medications were way off, and obviously it was not really about a hamburger - but rather (in my opinion) because his gpa has just been diagnosed with cancer and we had been at the hospital for days on end with him...........
Now difficult child and I can joke when ordering fast food about tomatoes and how his last psychiatric hospital visit was all over a silly, stupid, hamburger. He knew it was outrageous - but it was just the straw the broke the camel's back.

good luck to you.......and definitely call psychiatrist as soon as he comes back in town.

Alisonlg

So sorry about the hamburger meltdown. :::hugs::: Those out of the blue ones are never fun. Just when you think you've got the triggers figured out...

A former co-worker had an expression that seems to hold true: it's the ants, not the elephants. Big things come along and we hold it together, but then something small happens and we lose it.

Oh my gosh if that isn't the truth! I love it! "It's the ants, not the elephants." I've got to write that down somewhere. :wink: