medications Question

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child is now on Seroquel (is up to 150mg and increasing 50mg per week - started at 50mg) at night and Klonopin .5mg in the morning and PRN.

The Seroquel doesn't seem to be horribly sedating for her, which doesn't surprise me. The stuff that is known to be strongly sedating usually isn't for difficult child. However, the added Klonopin in the morning is, and she's sleeping all the time. She sleeps all night, takes the Klonopin and sleeps for several more hours. So, of course her nights and days are completely turned around. On the days she forgets the morning Klonopin dose, she does fine. Plus, it's also prescribed as a PRN, but there are only 30 pills so I'm not sure how it can be PRN if it's also once daily.

I always thought that Klonopin was a PRN medication, not a daily maintenance medication. difficult child really wants to take it as prescribed, though. We see the psychiatrist again on Feb 6th. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if the sedating effect of the Klonopin will wear off as she adjusts, or on the flip side, if it will become less effective as a PRN if she's taking it everyday.

Thoughts?

T

TeDo

Klonipin CAN be used as a regularly scheduled dose. However, I would stop taking it during the day if it's causing her to be that sleepy. Taking it at bedtime would make more sense. I don't remember if this is a medication that builds up in your system or if it's a short-acting one. With her sleeping so much on it, I would only use it as a PRN when she's totally out of control or if it builds up, I would take it at bedtime. Her "quality of life" hoovers if she can't stay awake during the day. That's JMHO.

cubsgirl

I'm on klonopin as a daily maintenance medication but I take it at night. It has a really long half-life. I agree that if its sedating her, you probably should let the doctor know and maybe see if you can give it to her at night. it may become less sedating as time goes on - or not. Sometimes my doctor has me take it as a prn, but usually I only take the maintenance dose.

flutterby

Fly away!
He told me specifically not to give it to her at night with the Seroquel. Other than over-sedation, I'm not sure why. I couldn't find any contraindications.

StressedM0mma

My difficult child has sleep issues, and her pediatrician. prescribed klonopin to take at night to make her sleep. We quit using it because it caused her to have horrid rages. (and they are/were bad enough without medications.)

DammitJanet

I took seroquel and klonopin at the same time before. I always took them both at night though there was a time I had klonopin melt tabs which I could take prn. Now I dont take the seroquel anymore and I take xanaxXR which is the extended release form and I take that at night and it covers me all day long.

crazymama30

Klonopin can be used as a maintenance medication, I have actually seen it used to control seizures. I think the only contraindication would be over sedation. Could you give her half of the .5? Or call the doctor and maybe just use it as a prn?

JJJ

At the higher doses, Seroquel is not sedating. If this was my child, I would likely give the Seroquel in the morning and the Klonopin at night.