memory foam mattresses./ toppers

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have the 10" Tempurpedic mattress and I love it. I just bought H a pillow to match.

In the winter months, it is very cold when we get into it. BUT, it grabs the body heat and retains it, which in the summertime is not so great...or when I get night sweats and hot flashes! ;oP

Sunlight

Jo, that is exactly what I worried about was the heat it can create. I do get flashes occassionally. they have a newer one that is not supposed to make you as hot. I am not sure I want to get one yet. still gathering info!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The reason we got the 10" and not the 8" was because at that time I was having horrible night sweats. I drove over 20 miles in torrential rain to buy a Chillow, which helped a lot.

Anyway, I am interested to learn more about the newer ones, but I have mine and I love it, plus it cost a lot and I doubt I could convince H to get rid of it now!

I recently bough difficult child a pillow top soft mattress and it is soooo comfy - she loves it!

Lothlorien

I have a 2 or 3 inch one, I put a really good quilted mattress protector over it. I don't have a problem with the heat. However, I don't think the 2 or 3 inch one is that great. We have a lousy mattress and it does help somewhat, but we are looking into getting a new mattress altogether. We will probably get one of the sleep number beds.

Sunlight

thing is they say you need 4 inches if the weight of either person is 160 or more. boyfriend is 165pds
I do think the mattress protector would help but I read it can cut down on the feel of the foam if the protector is too thick. I have a fairly new mattress/sleigh bed. I just would maybe get a foam pad.

the other thing is you have to buy deep pocket sheets too! my mattress is 11 inches already.

dreamer

My easy child has a 4 inch memory foam topper, she loves it. Me and son sleep in number beds at RMH but more often than not they are not working, and neither him nor or I have yet to figure out our own fav number. At my RA support group, the most popular bed is the numbers beds followed by full memory foam but yes the heat is the biggest drawback.

I have used a full float waterbed for 22 years now and while I think I need to switch to a more standard type bed, the idea sounds $$$ and makes me nervous. BUT during the appts when we donot o to RMH, but to the hotel instead? I LOVE Hampton inns new beds and bedding a LOT. (Lots more than RMH number beds)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Me and husband have the 8" tempurpedic, He has really bad spondylothesis, we just recently added a 3" wool mattress topper, the mattress alone was a bit too firm for his back, but, I loved it. Well now with this combo I am in heaven!!! SO is he... it is so comforting and restful, it does produce a bit of heat... but it really does create a wonderful nights sleep...love it. They are expensive though especially for both.

saving grace

Ahhh Janet you hit a sensitive topic with me. I am a very very picky sleeper, husband and I have tried many combinations of mattresses, toppers etc... We have tried a soft mattress with a pillow top it was too soft then we switched with difficult child when he left and his was too firm, so we were looking at the tempurpedics and I couldnt see spending the money so we opted for a foam topper that we bought at Costco, I think its about 4 inches, it helped for a while I guess. I did notice that I was hot alot when I had it on my bed.
difficult child wanted his mattress back so we switched back to the original mattress with out the topper and thats what we have now but I have to be in the same spot on the bed to sleep.

Now, my mom used the topper on the bed downstairs which is actually difficult children mattress that he brought back when he came home and she LOVES it. She has a bad back and hips and she said she never slept better. My mom left to go home and difficult child put the topper on his futon and he loves it. My mom came back again and she was supposed to stay for 2 months so we went to Costco to get another one and they actually had one that had a down like pad over the memory foam and she liked that even better. It comes looks like a giant mattress cover its cool because it wraps around the mattress like a sheet and the memory foam is underneath it. I did have problems keeping the sheet on when I had it over my pillow top.

All in all, I wasnt impressed but my Mom and son and husband loved it.

I am too picky.

Grace

dreamer

I asked my kids if they thought anyone would notice if we opened the Hamptons window and threw the whole king bed, bedding and all out the window. Our car was just out our room window, LOL. then I asked them if they would hold it down on top of the car with their arms out the windows the whole 5 hours home. LOL

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't tell you what brand ours is (3-4 in), but we got it from walmart. I didn't want to put out big bucks if we might not like it. Our mattress was shot, and really didn't want to put out even bigger bucks to replace that. lmao

I'm also picky when it comes to my bedding. But although I was set to hate it, I was pleasantly surprised I didn't. Actually I love it. Except that ours has no way to keep it in place so we have to reposition it every couple of nights. And if it creats heat I don't notice. I would if it did. I'm right in the middle of menopause. lol And we have an upstairs bedroom with no air conditioning.

N got a more expensive version from Penny's for xmas from mother in law. She absolutely LOVES it.

SunnyFlorida

We have a 4" one we bought off the net. We love it. We're both "hot bods" so our bedding is quite simply a sheet and a duvet cover minus the duvet. We throw a blanket on when it gets cold...but the cold doesn't last very long here. :smile:

Sunlight

ok sunny..rub it in...lol
I may check Costco before I order the one on the internet. boyfriend and I got cards there last week and we spent a ton just looking around. I am sure the Costco thingy will wear off but we went again and spent more.

I think he likes to go for the food sampling..lol

Martie

in my opinion shopping at Costco requires a lot of discipliune to "save" anything.

I now have a "COSTCO list" and if I don't deviate from it, I do well.

RE: beds.

I guess I'm old-fashioned but we have a "motionless" water bed with a foam topper that is integral to the mattress. Say "waterbed" and people think 1970's "crash pad" but ours is quite therapeutic. It takes regular linen and after my car accident, was the only place I could lie down for more than an hour. I have yet to experience a hotel bed I like better but maybe I should try Hampton Inn, LOL.

Martie

Sunlight

boyfriend bought the Costco memory foam one for his bed at his house. it is nice! thick, comes with a soft topper you zip it into to keep it in place and keep down the heat factor. we both liked it. it does keep the bed warm I have to say. very comfy. now I am thinking of getting one for my bed at my house. Costco was 120.00 cheaper than the least expensive one I found online!