More health problems. Need prayers

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You're right, InsandCdn it seems like every day I have new symptoms. Oh and my chest pains are back so I've been downing aspirin like it's going out of style. I go back to the cardiologist next month for further testing. So I'm not only worried about cancer but I still have concerns about my heart.
CB, the aspirin is probably the CAUSE of your stomach distress. if you are concerned about your heart, take ONE BABY ASPIRIN per day. That's all you need to "protect" your heart, and really, you shouldn't take that unless it's under doctor's orders. Aspirin is terribly hard on the stomach.

If you really want to be kind to your stomach, pick up a bottle of "low dose" aspirin. They are 81mg each, buffered to be kind to your stomach, you take one per day with food. That's ALL you need! Downing more than that can actually harm your stomach and cause other health problems.

Lil

Going North said exactly what I was going to. If you are taking anything for pain, I'd make it Tylenol. But really, it is entirely possible that the chest pain is caused by acid reflux, which is now being made worse by the aspirin and causing the stomach pain and vomit of acid.

Acid reflux definitely causes chest pain. When I had it, I was in so much pain...I felt like someone was standing on my chest. It was bad enough I went to the ER for a EKG...I really thought I was having a heart attack.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB. If you take Tylenol. it is imperative that you follow dosing directions and take no other medications containing acetaminophen at the same time. The maximum dosage of acetaminophen per day is 4 grams and that can be taken for no longer than 10 consecutive days.

Acetaminophen overuse is the leading cause of liver failure/transplants in the US at this time.

In fact, were acetaminophen to come up for approval today, it is highly unlike that the drug would be approved, it is that potent a liver toxin.

Lil

Really? Good to know. I don't take it myself, though I do take the equivalent of a Rx Ibuprofen every day.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I take RX doses of Ibuprofen daily for my arthritis as well as using Voltaren gel and lidocaine patches as needed.

Because of that, I had to go off the low-dose aspirin. Too many NSAIDS. So far my stomach is holding up with the help of Prevacid OTC at RX dosing. My ins won't pay for the Prevacid because it is available OTC.

I tolerate the ibuprofen better than I tolerate the prescription arthritis medications and it's certainly a lot cheaper.

Lil

I take Omeprazole twice a day for the acid reflux. It's available OTC too...basically the same thing as Nexium...but cheaper by prescription - go figure. I notice when I miss a dose too.

susiestar

Roll With It
The stomach acid may be causing the cough. GERD (stomach acid in the esophagus) is a major undiagnosed cause of chronic coughs. I think thank you's recent coughing (and regular winter coughing every year) is due to this. I was reading through some stuff from his allergist recently and noticed the recommendation to take nexium or prevacid if the cough is bad. Six days on lansoprozole (prevacid OTC) and it is almost gone where it was an all night thing for most of the winter. So he will be staying on it for a while.

The acid irritates the nerves that can trigger coughing, so the stress can be the cause of the cough too.

Take a deep breath, focus on other things, and let the doctor do the worrying!

Lil

Now that Susistar has said that, it reminds me...when my acid reflux was really bad my voice would get really gravely and I would get a nagging cough. I'd actually forgotten about that.

There's just really no doubt in my mind after this discussion that you have a major acid reflux problem!

Confused

Californiablonde, I hear ya about stomach acid, my reflux is so bad that I now can barely handle any foods even as I take my prilosec. Its probably just that and stress, But just keep your acid reflux diet to perfections, keep your fiber and water intake up!You already got great advice! Its helping me a little!I have graduated to a worse form, but still need to see a dr to. Coughing oh my yes!!! Food can get stuck so thats why your chest might hurt to besides your heartburn. We are all by your side :) Congrats on your weight loss! Stress is a big player too! You do need proper rest, I know its hard. Hugs

Californiablonde

The cough only lasted a day and went away. I have been battling on again off again sore throats unrelated to illness too. Today I'm just suffering from a little nausea and chest pain. I go to the doctor tomorrow. I have a severe phobia of doctors so it's taking me a lot of strength to make myself go. I will keep you all updated.

Lil

Deep breath. Make a list of your symptoms. I'll be really surprised if it's not acid reflux...which is made worse by stress, so don't be freaking out over the doctor. He's there to help.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Sending you hugs and hoping you will have a calm spirit when you go to the Dr.
It's good to listen to your body but don't automatically jump to conclusions and assume the worst. As my momma used to say "Honey, don't go inviting trouble"
Let us know how things go with the Dr.

Lil

My guess is she has blown off your concerns because you go in thinking it's something catastrophic when it's not. So, she foo-phoo's your concerns, because she doesn't think the symptoms add up to, say, heart problems, but doesn't look for the cause of the actual symptoms. Don't approach it that way. Go in and say, "I've had a lot of things going on and I don't know what's causing it. I've been vomiting up stomach acid...I have chest pain and stomach pain intermittently. I've also had problems with constipation...etc. etc." You might even tell her that several people have suggested some type of acid reflux based on their own experience.

If she totally blows you off...get a second opinion. Even if it's just stress-caused, it is something. You deserve to feel better.

Californiablonde

I am back at work after my doctor's appointment. She suggested it could possibly be reflux but she didn't sound certain. I was prescribed a medication that temporarily reduced stomach acid called Pantaprozole or something like that. I am also to give a stool sample and she took blood to check for various abnormalities. She said to keep taking the Metamucil for my constipation.

She doesn't have any answers for me yet. Right now we are just waiting on lab results. I am trying my best to remain calm for the next few days. In the meantime, you know how I was complaining of losing weight too fast? Well I just gained a pound over the weekend. So there ya go. Cross extreme weight loss off the list of my many concerns.

Confused

Californiablonde, My acid reflux undiagnosed by professionals but by sis, has gotten really bad and I started taking prilosec and its helping, dont skip a dose, watch your foods and , dont eat when your stressed! I was a stress eater and now with the acid reflux if I eat when upset, Im down the rest of the day and night! Hang in there. Are you going for an acid reflux test yet with the camera?? Hugs

Californiablonde

I would feel A LOT better had she referred me to a gastroenterologist. But she didn't. She is trying to handle this on her own. I go back for a follow up visit next month. I'm not sure what else she can do for me. It's just a wait and see kinda thing, I guess.

Californiablonde

Okay now I'm seriously freaking out. I have also been having very pale stools in the last two weeks and it's a major symptom of pancreatic cancer. Cancer of the pancreas only has a 2 percent survival rate. I know I shouldn't have looked on the internet, but now I'm more worried than ever. Those blood test results can't come fast enough!

InsaneCdn

QUIT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE!!!!

Sorry to yell, had to get your attention.
Did you look at the chances of having pancreatic cancer? It's not that high on the frequency list.

Don't go looking for anything exotic. You know you are stressed out and that your body doesn't handle stress well. STRESS alone can account for every single symptom you are listing. Was it wrong to go to the doctor? No, prudent. BUT... in reality, you are probably making yourself sick by getting all wound up and anxious about the symptoms that are simply caused by being all wound up and anxious.

RX: For the next 3 days, the ONLY thing you can do on your computer (other than work) is this board. ;)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stool color is very dependent on what you are eating! You eat a very limited diet. Stool color is also very dependent on your gut bacteria since bacteria make up a lot of the weight of your stool. Number one thing to upset the balance of your gut bacteria? STRESS AND ANXIETY!