Movie recommendations??

klmno

I think I'll watch a movie off my cable provider's options tonight. Does anyone have a recommendation? I like comedy, suspense, drama (not love stories so much but movies like A Beautiful Mind, The Guardian- maybe those aren't classified as drama). I've seen The Help (great movie in case someone hasn't already seen it)already when it was on at the theater and a couple of weeks ago I watched It's Complicated. I definitely don't want to see a tear jerker or something pertaining to the heartaches of raising a difficult child.

I like Steve Martin, Kevin Costner, Merly Streep, Robin Williams, Sean Connery, Tom Cruise, Whoopi Goldberg

I'm 50yo so the slap jerk comedy just doesn't do it for me and I never had any interest in sci fi.

witzend

I was really hoping someone would answer, because I haven't got a clue as to what is worth ordering on my pay per view!

J

joneshockey

I rented Friends with Benefits & The Change Up from Redbox tonight... I haven't watched either one yet, so I really don't know how they are - We got the movie Dolphintales for Christmas and it was AWESOME!

klmno

LOL! I was trying to remember which other movies were nominated for awards so I could look into them and see what type they were. There was one called The Deception or The 'something' that started with a D but I can't remember it now. My pay per view options are so large now that it would take 2 hours to just scroll thru them blindly. I'm going to google this years awards ceremony- maybe I can find something that way. I'll let you know, Witz.

JH- I hope you enjoy yours! Let us know how they are.

J

joneshockey

The Deception was an AWESOME movie as well... however, I believe that it is still on at the theaters :) I saw it over Christmas break - it was the BEST movie I have seen in years! Sad, but good!

klmno

Golden Globes Winners 2012: List of Winners and Nominees

That's what I was trying to think of- I watched the trailer and I don't think I can handle a sad one tonight so I'll save it for another night. I'd probably like We Need to Talk about Kevin but it hits way too close to home- well, maybe not- we don't have anything perverse going on here- but I'm afraid it would weird me out. LOL!

The link above shows the award nominees and has links to trailers, if anyone is interested.

I might like The Girl with the DRagon Tattoo if it's on pay per view- or maybe I;ll just watch The Help again, although I'd like to wait and watch it with my son sometime since it's funny but still would show him something about how bad discrimination was back then.

H

HaoZi

Hard to suggest since I don't know what's available to you. If it's there Cop Out is hilarious as all get out (not for younger kids), and RED is pretty darn good.

klmno

thank you! I gave up trying to find one tonight on pay per view- then I checked regular tv movies on tonight and found an old Kevin Costner movie on for free so I have it on- I can handle watching him no matter what he's in. LOL! I was really in the mood for a good suspense though- no difficult child stuff though. But this cable co only catagorizes action, drama, thriller, comedy, family, and kids. I guess my definition of suspense could fall in drama, thriller, or action and it's a PITA to sort thru them all. It's making me wish I used netflix but I don't know if that's worth the cost.

J

joneshockey

I just watched The Change Up... it was VERY funny, but had a lot of adult content. I don't think that I would watch it again - definitely not one that will be award winning.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love Netflix...

I saw a movie with Mel Gibson where he played a pilot in the 50s who was frozen (cryogenically) and thawed in modern times. I think it's called Young at Heart. Very very good...

flutterby

Fly away!
We just watched Cop Out tonight - it's on HBO On Demand. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I were in a better mood.

Trying to think of what we've recently watched....Dolphin Tales - was ok, I thought. And of course my mind is now going blank. Oh - on NYE we watched Cowboys vs Aliens. It was pretty good, though it did have a couple of sappy parts that the movie could have done without. Didn't fit. Plus, I don't do sappy.

And now my mind is blank again. Ha!

klmno

I just found that I can use Netflix directly thru the internet connection and it will streamline to my tv and they have a 30 day free trial. If you get the subscription, it's an unlimited amount of movies for 7.99/mo and there's no worry about sending stuff out on time or waiting on arrival since it's going thru the broadband connection. They have a huge selection of movies. I'm going to try it this evening and see if i can get it to work. That should motivate me to do my chore list today. LOL!

donna723

I did the Netflix $7.99 trial thing for a while but ending up cancelling it. I watched them on my laptop that has a big screen. You might like it but most of the movies were older ones or not to my taste. There were not very many new movies. The TV shows available on there were ones you'd already have access to if you had cable or satellite TV and if I wanted to watch those, I would have already done it. It would be great for someone with young kids though ... there's lots of good kids programming and many of the Disney movies. It's worth a try though - you might like it. For $7.99 a month it's hard to beat. And I had no problem cancelling, although I do keep getting emails from them wanting me to come back!

klmno

I need to check and see if my broadband speed and wifi speed capablities are high enough. If they are, I'll use the 30 trial for watching a few older movies that I can't find without buying (permanently), then I'll decide whether or not to get the subscription - that will give me time to check out their selections and so forth- and determine if difficult child is ever going to live with me here. I spent several years either with difficult child home and too young to watch r-rated dramas that I would have otherwise watched and then a couple of years too caught up in trying to get over difficult child getting committed that I feel like I have 4-5 years of movies to catch up on!

H

HaoZi

I love having Netflix, I use my Roku to watch it on TV. Right now we're watching Malcolm in the Middle, Kiddo is old enough to appreciate some of the conundrums and is absolutely convinced boys are idiots. When Netflix's contract with Starz ends I'm sure I'll be a lot less happy but it's entertained me for years. I dumped cable for my Roku.

DammitJanet

Blind Side is one I want to watch. If you havent seen Kiss the Girls, find it and watch it. Of course for plain out fun watch Rocky Horror Picture Show. I dont know what is on demand because I never check it.

klmno

I'll check for Blind Side- I'm a little annoyed now- I signed up for the 30 day membership because they showed that they had a movie I've always wanted to see but can't find anywhere because it's about 7 years old. After signing for the membership, I find that particular movie is only available with their dvd rental, not instant play.