Moving Forward

tiredmommy

Thanksgiving is over and it's on to Christmas. I'll be hosting Christmas Day this year. I anticipate having twelve to twenty folks crammed into my little house. I need to start thinking about the menu. Here's what I'm thinking so far, how does it sound?
*Ham
*Mashed potatoes
*Janet's cream cheese corn
*Steamed broccoli with cheese sauce
*Sausage/pasta/mozzarella bake
*Green salad
*Bread from DiCamillo's Bakery (WNYer's know what I mean!)
*Cookies
*Brownies
*Tarts (maybe!)
*Cocoa
*Wine
*Coffee (with Bailey's available)
*Tea

Any suggestions? I think I'll plan on using paper products wherever possible.

tiredmommy

I'm shooting for folks to arrive around 2pm, exchange gifts around 2:30pm and visit for awhile, dinner hitting the table somewhere between 4 and 4:30pm, cookies et al out by 5:30pm. Hopefully Duckie won't get to bed too awfully late. :xmasdancers:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Twice baked potatoes would be awful yummy with that ham. :smile:

Sounds like a delicious meal to me, though.

But then, I'm still looking forward to thanksgiving dinner. I'm not having ours until tomorrow evening. :rofl:

Then I won't be ready to even thing about xmas day menu for at least a week. That's about when my stomach bloat will go down. lol

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
A meal like that and I might drive out your way. I am thinking of doing a shrimp boil (shrimp, new potatoes, medication corn on the cob, cut kielbasa....) but yours sounds a might better at the moment.

Beth

goldenguru

I just finished putting away the last of the Thanksgiving dishes. I don't even want to think about Christmas dinner. At this point I'm thinking take out would be nice. :bah-humbug:

Penta

I am taking my small family out to a late breakfast on Christmas day. We have a 24 deli that specializes in yummy breakfasts every day 365! I think it will be a new tradition. So, no cooking for me!

Although, your menu sounds delicious!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sounds wonderful TM. Your menu sounds great.
I loved hosting the holiday meals. My "boo boo" meals are remembered and retold with relish everytime we get together. So don't sweat mistakes. It makes the meals memorable and gives everyone something to laugh about years from now.
Enjoy creating shared experiences and making holiday family memories.

Anything that becomes special like a regular Christmas day brunch or anything that makes family anticipate being together will be remembered fondly forever. Especially by the kids.

My hardest chore was to not get cranky or irritable. Easy to do but it :censored2: the joy out of the festivities. Take rests, delegate when possible and don't aim for perfection in food but fun atmosphere.

That's my .02. :xgift: It's a gift you give that comes back 10 fold over a lifetime but it's a lot of work. I think of it as a labor of love.

TerryJ2

Wow, you really plan ahead!
But planning helps things run smoothly. (Sampling while you cook is nice, too.) :smile:
Chocolate. Yeah, I can go for that. :smile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sounds delish~

I think I would add some shrimp or something for appetizers along with a cheese and fruit platter?

My girls are with their dad this year for Christmas so thankfully, I don't have to do too much. I am ordering a Honey Baked Ham for H and me which I will prepare with some honey glazed carrots and mashed potatos and brussel sprouts. And I will even have some leftovers for some ham-bean soup! Yum-yum.

tiredmommy

Thanks all. :smile:
Star- Duckie usually "fashions" some sort of centerpiece each year. I'm sure this year will be no different. :smile:
Beth- the more, the merrier! :xmasdancers:
Penta & GG- I'm thinking of having the family go to breakfast on Christmas Eve if the place I'm thinking about is open. :blizzard:
Fran- My "BooBoo" meals are legendary! As for my stress and crankiness... that's legendary too. Everything will be fine IF my mother doesn't follow me around harping on me... :bah-humbug:
Terry- Planning ahead is the only hope I have with a difficult child in the house. :snowman:
Jo- I was actually thinking about the shrimp today. Plus some grapes and chocolate dipped strawberries. :forsanta:

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like this Duckie kid - resourceful, artistic, clever - If it stays any warmer here in SC - I'd be able to send you roses.

COME ON SNOW!