My Dog has Bone Cancer

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
She is 8 years old, black lab, Shadow. She is the best dog in the whole wide world! She broke her leg last week -the worst sight of my life so far- and x-rays alarmed the vet. Biopsy done. Results are positive for cancer.

Chest x-ray shows no sign of spreading so far.

We will proceed with amputation of Shadow's left front leg tomorrow. Vet says she is an excellent candidate for success, based on her weight & athletic movement.

We are devastated, but trying to be strong. All good thoughts are welcome.

Peace

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Sending positive vibes for Shadow and your family. Dogs have a way of filling up the fissures of our hearts - they are the epitome of unconditional love. My prayers are with you and Shadow today. I hope she has a long and happy three-legged life!

Genny

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Sending prayers for Shadow's quick and easy recovery. Its good news it was caught before it spread, and dogs really do fare well with only three legs. And she's still not considered an old dog.

If she's a swimmer, help her re-learn that, tho - losing the front makes it a little more challenging, but she'll get it.

Hugs to you and your family. Let us know how it goes.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Pony and Pup,

I was so saddened to hear the news about the cancer that has invaded. When I read on about how they were going to use amputation as a first line of defense I KNEW how brave you both would have to be, and how STRONG you are going to have to be in the coming weeks.

Please know my heart goes out to you both. It should never happen to anyone - especially not lovely black labs that are the light of their mom's world.

You're absolutely in our prayers.
Best of luck as you make your journey today and positive paws for the best outcome.

Star

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So sorry about the news. At least there is hope she will recover from this... it's very scary still.

We had a kitty once that had bone cancer in her jaw :( He was about the same age as your dog, so I opted for the surgery because the vet also thought he would recover and live many more years -- albeit on a softer diet! I figured a modified life in a loving home is still better than no life at all...

Hang in there!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww, Pony. Hugs to you and your doggie.

As an avid watcher of Animal Planet (that makes me an expert, of course), dogs seems to recover quite well without a leg. You'll get the same slappy licks and snuggles without it, and he'll feel the same love and attention as before.

Let us know how it goes.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww, Pony. Hugs to you and your doggie.

As an avid watcher of Animal Planet (that makes me an expert, of course), dogs seems to recover quite well without a leg. You'll get the same slappy licks and snuggles without it, and he'll feel the same love and attention as before.

Let us know how it goes.

Abbey

witzend

That just breaks my heart! I hope that Shadow will be ok. Our Mandy is a Black Lab, but only 1+ years old. I hope that someday she will be as good of a dog as Shadow is. She's a bit of a big goof for the moment! ;)

I'm saying a big old prayer for Shadow. I hope she will be well. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. We all love our furbies so much.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Saying prayers for Shadow. I have an eight year old large breed dog and don't know how I would get along without him.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just wondering how surgery went for Shadow today! Hope her Mom is okay and knows they are in a lot of people's thoughts.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Pony, I am so sorry to hear this, but I do want to tell you that bone cancer in an extremity that has not spread to the internal organs can be CURED by amputation of the limb or tail.

Dogs and cats do fabulously well with three legs or what we vet techs used to call "trikes" <g>.

Big thing to do after the surgery and recovery will be to watch her back and other limbs as there will be more strain on those joints.

I'd recommend putting her on the best food you can find, watching her weight carefully (older labs tend to get a bit "round", especially spayed females), and putting her on a good joint supplement.

I personally am a fan of Cosequin which has been tested to have high bioavailability of active ingredients and comes in both chewables and capsules.

I have a friend who has a three legged springer/poodle mix that is missing a foreleg, due to an accident, not due to cancer, but she's so far lived to seventeen having spent ten years as an amputee.

She's creaky, but still has an excellent quality of life.

klmno

This is so sad- 8 yo still leaves a lot of life to live. I'm sending hugs and thoughts and many many wishes that this goes smoothly and Shadow adjusts quickly so the many more years can be enjoyed just like expected...

Keep us posted...

TerryJ2

Ohh, Pony, poor Shadow! Poor you!
What kind of cancer is it?
Sending quick-healing fairy dust and shaking rattles for you ...