My Pitty Party .... want to join me?

Stella Johnson

March has to be one of the worst months of my life to date.
February 23rd I was laid off from the place I had worked for the last six and a half years.

The weekend after I was laid off we had a major wind storm. My house is 6 yrs old. The roof was warrantied for 5 yrs. :slap: So, I called the insurance company. I have a $1600 deductible I am trying to come up with. So, I am cashing out my 401k. Still waiting on the check for that.

On March 24th a 19 yr old girl was making a left turn onto a major highway in the area. SO, difficult child, and I were going straight. She couldn't see over the truck next to us so she made an unprotected left turn and hit us. Then another car rear ended us.

Now my car is totalled. I have a broken rib, swollen and black knees, and a bruised sternum. I had my knees on the dash when she hit us. Forced my knees into my chest and then I broke the windshield with my knees.
SO has a fractured L1 vertebre. difficult child has a bruised pelvis and cuts from the seat belt.

I was supposed to start my next insurance adjusting class the Monday after the accident but I could not since it is a hands on class where they teach you to estimate rooves etc. I was barely walking.

It has been over a month now. Still no job. Still too banged up to really go out and find one. Driving a rental car but since my car is totalled the rental will only last through this week.

I was planning on being a contractor for catastrophe claims. The big insurance companies pay you on a contract basis to go out and adjust hurricane sites, big hail storms, etc. But with no car... can't do it.

I sucked it up and called my father as much as I hated to. He is very very selfish. I knew what the answer would be before I called but decided to try and hope he had grown a heart in his old age.

I asked if he would cosign for me to get a car since I have no employment to show on the application. He laughed and said if he did he might not be able to borrow money some day if he ever needed it. When I told him my car was totalled he never once asked how Sabrina or I were.

The worst part is, my father owns a car dealership.

I still don't understand why he is the way he is. I would and haved moved heaven and earth for my daughter. I don't understand how he can be so uncaring. I know he doesn't owe me anything. I never thought he did. I guess I was just hoping that by him knowing I am raising his only grandchild alone, maybe once he would help.

I have been pretty upbeat and positive about the whole lay off thing until today. Today I didn't get out of bed until difficult child came home from school. I have been crying, trying to figure out what I am going to do all day. How can you get a car with no job? How do you get a job with no car? I know I will figure it out. Just seems to have all hit me today.

steph

Awwwww - Steph - you have had way more than your share. I certainly hope that things will begin to look up for you now that it is April. I truly believe that all things happen for a reason - and it is not for us to understand that reason. Hang on tight - and things WILL get better.

It's so hard when family lets you down. Somehow that hurts worse than any other disappointment. I have such a hard time with that. Like you - I would move heaven and earth for my children. AND I would have given my family members the very shirt off my back - AT ONE TIME. But no more. I find myself putting more and more distance between me and them.

But - I digress - this is YOUR pity party!

I will keep you in my thoughts and send up some prayers that things turn around for you. It's okay that you spent the day crying - you probably needed it. Tomorrow will come soon enough and you will once again pick up your sword and fight on.

Many, many hugs, and two boxes of tissues!!

Amy

LittleDudesMom

Steph,

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it.

Why isn't the 19 year-old's insurance company paying for the car since she made the illegal turn? Why are you having to buy a new car? what about your auto insurance?

Have you applied for unemployment to tie you over until you get a jew job? You might want to think about it. It's not too much but it may help you out.

Hopefully you can get back to the training soon. I like the sound of that new job you are going for. Kinda a field insurance adjustor.

Steph, I hope things begin to look up and you physical begin to mend.

Sharon

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> well i certainly hope things start to turn around for you soon. maybe SO could co~sign for you??

anyway i hope something positive happens soon.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Steph, many gentle hugs to you and sabrina!

I had the same questions...why isn't the 19 year old girl's insurance paying for the totaling of your car & the rental car? If you haven't done so already, you need to contact her insurance company and ask these questions. This was not yours or sabrina's fault, so you should not be paying anything...or, if you do, you should be getting reimbursed through the other driver's insurance companies.

I am an insurance adjuster and our company does CAT claims - we handled over 600 of the hurricane claims in the Gulf area seasons 2004/2005. I can tell you that we hired many a subcontract adjusters and almost all of them had rental cars as their main vehicle while handling claims. Since most insurance companies will pay a flat rate per mile, the cost of the car rental and the fuel is usually well covered. All is not lost completely in this particular area.

I will keep you in my prayers and I sure hope you're feeling better real soon. Hugs~

Loris

I'm so sorry you're going through all this and so much at once. I also would find out about her insurance. You should be provided with a rental until they have a replacement or your car is fixed. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Stella Johnson

Hangingbyathread,
I hope there is a silver lining to all of this. I am going to distance myself even more now. Just not worth it.

LDM,
My car was financed. I owe exactly what it was worth, thus her insurance co will pay mine off but I still have no car.
I am on unemployment. I hate it, but I am. It is very very little though.
Yes, it is a field ins adjuster. I'm excited about finally starting. :thumb:

kris,
He might cosign. I just hate to ask.

JoG,
Most of the ones I have talked to so far said they used their own cars. I guess I should look into just renting one while I am there.
I'm going to PM you. I have more questions. :angel:

steph

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah you have a right to feel like hosting a huge pity party!!! I hope it gets better for you... come on spring!!! Maybe some good weather will bring some good changes for all of us?

Hang in there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Steph

(((hugs)))

Why does it seem like these types of catastrophes always run in groups? :frown: You most certainly are entitled to a pity party.

Have you checked with Family Services in your area in regards to the car problem? Here family services will provide up to 1500.00 for a car depending on income level to inable you to keep working/going to school. (so you won't end up on walfare.) Maybe they have something similar where you are.

Saying a prayer things begin to fall into place for you soon.

Lothlorien

If your dad owns a dealership, can't he get you a loaner car from the dealer? He should be able to help you out with a car. For goodness sakes....what an odd thing.

I'm sorry you are in such a pickle right now. I'm hoping there's a silver lining to this, too.

Hugs and prayers!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Steph, I don't have a dang bit of advice but your situation right now truly deserves a pity party. It completely stinks. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Big hugs,
Suz