Need alternatives to PIE!!!

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
I have been having such a craving for pie! Pecan pie, apple pie, chocolate cream pie, fresh peach pie, PIE!!!!!!

I need help! Anyone have any alternatives to or *healthy* pie recipes?

P.S. The solution can not be "no pie or pie like substance", or I may cry!!!

:crazy1:

trinityroyal

Just thinking off the top of my head here.
What is it about the pie that you like best.

I'm imagining, if you can make a pie crust out of graham crackers pressed into the bottom of a pie plate, and use a low fat/low sugar pudding mix (made with about 1/3 to 1/2 of the usu amount of liquid, to make it thick enough for a pie filling), and some sliced fruit?

I'm thinking something like vanilla pudding with peach slices.
Chocolate pudding with some chopped nuts mixed in.

Butterscotch pudding, well just on its own.

I have no idea whether any of this will work, because I'm just wandering around inside my head thinking about what I would try to whip up if I were having a pie jones.

Hope some of this helps, Michelle.
(I'm fighting a cheese-puff craving and scarfing down edamame as fast as I can steam it to keep things at bay)

Hugs and strength to you

Trinity

trinityroyal

Oh.....there's an apple crumble recipe I used to use.

Make a mixture of oatmeal and brown sugar splenda for the crust.
Use sliced apples and brown sugar splenda for the filling
Sprinkle more oatmeal-and-splenda on top

I would usually cook the apples gently in a pan to get them softened up a bit.
Put the whole shebang together in a glass baking dish
Bake at 350 degrees until the oatmeal looks crisp like cookies.

Sprinkle a bit more brown sugar splenda on top, and you're ready to go.

If you need something creamy to eat the pie with, try light Cool Whip (or if you can't stand the edible-petroleum-ness of Cool Whip, try the pudding thingy I suggested above)

Trinity

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
How about experimenting with fruit tartlets?

You can buy tiny tarts and fill them with whatever you want.

Or, you can make your own using a tartlet pan and make your own 'crust' using low fat/low sugar ingredients. Then mix together an in-season fruit and make it your own.

If I had to [and if I could get it past H's sweet tooth] I would remake the nectarine pie I made this weekend. I would lower the sugar a bit or replace it with Splenda. I would have made my own graham cracker pie crust by using low fat graham cracker crushed together and use a bit of Smart Balance spread and press it into the pan, reserving some for a crumb-like topping. Then, to make up for the absence of too much sugar, I would use a whipped topping like the new in a can Cool Whip Free! *Another way to make your crust is to use fat free/sugar free cookies you can buy and crush them instead of using graham crackers.

I like the idea of using the mini pie pans or tartlet pans because you can have a small enough serving to satisfy the craving without eating the entire pie! And you can freeze them individually.

Another idea is to find a fat free/sugar free ice cream you like (buy only a pint so you don't make a large dessert). Allow the ice cream to soften while you crush up a few low fat/fat free/sugar free cookie, making large cumbles, set aside. Spread 1/2 the ice cream into a square or rectangular container (so you can cut out small servings), sprinkle with the cookie crumbles (or the filling of your choice - can be fruit) and top with remaining ice cream. Put some mini-chocolate chips on top (just a few) for decoration. Freeze. This is very yummy. And you could even place a few sugar free York peppermint patties in the middle for a little snap.

OK friend, you just need some pie! So....... plan it into your daily routine. Here's what I mean, I love pizza so instead of suffering... I will allow one piece it and count those calories along with my other calories for the day, not going over what I'm allowing myself each day. Mainly, you don't want to suffer. Suffering causes wild cheating. So have pie for dinner. And don't eat anytthing else after that. Maybe start tommorow, have it for breakfast, and eat lightly the rest of the day. No guilt!!!-Alyssa

or get fat-free, sugar-free, chocolate jello pudding (60 calories), add a ton of fat-free, sugar-free cool whip. Hardly any calories!!!!-Alyssa

N

Nomad

What kind of pie?

I like the idea of fat free pudding. The chocolate and butterscotch...yum!

Also, the Breyers FF Vanilla ice cream is out of this world! (double check your portion/measure)
The chocolate one is also excellent! All the flavors are really good. There is a caramel one too. They are all low in calories/low in points.

You could add blueberries or some other fruit topping...as well as a little reduced fat cool whip.

difficult child and I make a really good low fat yogurt pie.
We get one of those reduced fat graham cracker crusts.
In a bowl we mix: strawberries, low fat/reduced sugar strawberry yogurt, low fat coolwhip.
Mix in low fat graham cracker crust.
Freeze for about one hour.
I don't recall the calories...but it isn't too bad at all.

I agree...if you can't find a good substitute, consider looking for a place that sells a small pie. We have a gourmet shop that sells them; although some regular stores sell them now. They are going to be high in calories so you will have to make a careful plan to help you with portion control. Share it with someone in your home. If there is anything left over...consider giving it away or making it "go away" by some means other than your stomache.

Last edited:

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
You all are so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I"m printing these replies out so I can have them for this and all future pie cravings. Today I am craving this peach pie at a local resturant...it has a shortbread type crust with slices of fresh peaches covering in a glaze and topped with whipped cream. I may have to buy it and reorganize my menu. I think if I use some of the ideas you all gave me, maybe my pie issue won't get out of control. I like the tartlet idea for whatever I make so that it is portion controlled. Because if left to my own devices I will eat a whole pie with no problem.

Pie is just such a comfort food for me and I've been feeling kind of lousy--divorce is hard even when you want it. And I have yet to find anything that makes me feel better like pie does. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!