Need info on long term affects of meth use

ksm

I have posted before on my daughter`s addiction and abusive relationship. To update, in June last year she, her boyfriend and their then 14 month old son, were evicted from their apartment here, and went to live with her biomom on the NE coast. We had adopted our granddaughters when she was 5 after being in foster care for a year due to her parents drug issues. Her mom was supposedly in recovery and working. They wanted a fresh start to get away from the issues here and start over in a new place.

Well, they never really got and kept jobs, it is questionable that her mom was really "recovered", and in November, the boyfriend ended up in jail for domestic violence for 30 days. In early December dtr asked if I would fly out and bring grandson home and she would return in a couple of weeks, so I did. I had been worried if he was being taken care of properly. On Christmas day, she called and I knew she was psychotic/delusional. She was talking about being pocessed, having a demon in her, needing to find a high priest, and getting an exorcism performed. Said when she was 14 she and friends played with a Ouija board and that is when she summoned a demon. More delusions, different scenarios,

We had several weeks of trying to fly home, her wondering around lost in a large city. In the mean time, boyfriend was released from jail, and even though he had a 5 year no contact order, pretty much moved back in. I was able to read some medical reports and she was testing positive for meth. She returned home 6 weeks ago and the first month was awful. I believe she is clean as she has not left the house with any friends. She had many delusions during that time, was unable to care of interact with her son.

Now she is better mentally and interacting with her now 22 month old. boyfriend returned about the same time and was living with his dad and step mom about 20 miles from where we live. But, this past week he has reunited with his estranged wife, found someone in that town who would let him and her move in to their home. As a side note, his wife has lost rights to 2 children with her first husband, and the child she had with him, and he also had rights terminated to their child, and also one born to a girlfriend. I should add that dtr had this baby because boyfriend wanted to have a family and she didn't think he would stick around if she didn't have his child. Hopefully boyfriend is out of the picture, but we have been dealing with him for 7 years! He has manipulated our dtr and this other woman all these years!

Ok, after all that history...she isn't using, but she isn't moving forward. I made a list of phone calls that needed to be made. Important things, like replace her health insurance cards that she lost, make appointment for baby as he will be 2 soon and hadn't seen pediatrician since he turned 1. Replace her driver's license and SS card. Set up appointment with her previous psychologist. Check on restarting WIC. apply for part time job. Etc.

I can't get her to do anything!! Whether it is doing her laundry or closing the cereal or chips so they don't get stale.

How long does this stage last? She talks big plans about going to college...but not interested in starting at our local community College. She wants someplace out of town or out of state. She has no money, no car, no home and has a child! Then gets upset because I try to be logical. Yesterday, she wanted to get a license to fly a plane!

Advice or experience on adult children getting off of meth and moving forward and adulting! Please, does it happen??

Newksm

Last edited by a moderator:

Nandina

Hi KSM, I’m so sorry you are dealing with the effects meth has had on your daughter. It is baffling, isn’t it?

I have had a little experience with my 21 year old son using it, however it was not his drug of choice (that was pot). He mainly used it when pot wasn’t available and I don’t think he was addicted to it. He says he did it about 10 times. (that is 10 times too many!) Nevertheless, it did noticeably change his personality making him very angry, contentious and threatening, paranoid, and eventually after he was jailed, he had a psychotic break.

Before the break he was delusional with sort of a God complex where he felt like he had powers that were making certain things happen. This behavior took place back in December. It took a couple of months and he is on mood stabilizing medication, but he no longer is talking such nonsense. (Or at least as much as I can determine from talking to him on the phone).

From what I have read and heard, the effects of meth on a person depend on how long they’ve used it, and the quantity they were doing, as well as how (snort, smoke, inject). Apparently, today’s meth is much more potent than the meth of the past and the effects are stronger with anger, violence, etc. and addiction can happen much quicker. The effects can be temporary, permanent or intermittent where the person can go in and out of psychosis over time.

I don’t know how long your daughter has been using meth but since it is such a strong stimulant and she is no longer using it, I’m not surprised that she is in sort of a ’come down’ mode, where she lacks energy to do anything. After all she has been way overstimulated for a while now. It could take months for the effects to wear off and to determine whether or not she will have any permanent mental illness.

I don’t mean to sound all doom and gloom, but meth is such a powerful drug that affects people differently. The effects of the new meth are still being studied.

This is the one drug I tried so hard to educate my son about and urge him never to try it. I warned him all kinds of toxic chemicals you would never want in your body are used to make it, including drain cleaner, but apparently my advice fell on deaf ears. The result is after maybe a year’s “casual” use, he committed a crime while under its influence. He is now a convicted felon who spent the last four months in jail and is on probation for three years. And until I am able to spend more time with him, I really won’t know the full effects of his meth use.

Hugs to you and I hope your daughter fully recovers.

Nandina

KSM, one more thing I thought about after re-reading your post.
she isn't using, but she isn't moving forward. I made a list of phone calls that needed to be made. Important things, like replace her health insurance cards that she lost, make appointment for baby as he will be 2 soon and hadn't seen pediatrician since he turned 1. Replace her driver's license and SS card. Set up appointment with her previous psychologist. Check on restarting WIC. apply for part time job. Etc.
Without telling you what to do, of all the things mentioned above that are important to take care of, this is what I would do. I would focus on the psychologist and the WIC and of course, eventually getting a checkup for the baby. If your daughter has been using for a long time, I think it will be hard for her to be successful at a job right now as much as she probably needs the income. Coming off meth she might need a push to do much of anything. I don’t know about your daughter but with my son, he always needed a push even before drugs.

The baby being in the middle makes it so much harder. Bless him. More hugs

Crayola13

She probably needs a dentist appointment because of what meth can do to the teeth.

I was hoping maybe she had finally ended things with that horrible guy.

ksm

Thanks, Nandina and Crayola, It is just so hard to keep waiting and wondering if things will get better. But, I have seen some improvements...and will keep waiting for more. New ksm

ksm

Nandina...

(Quote: Before the break he was delusional with sort of a God complex where he felt like he had powers that were making certain things happen. )

Wow... so did my dtr! The second day she was here, the weather got colder, and she made the remark that it was because she wasn't happy...as if her mood controlled the weather. She also complained of being tired, after sleeping for 12 hours. She said she was up all night "protecting the city". Oh, and she also flew the commercial jet home...from her seat in economy...

But, we have had a couple good days this week where she is doing a few things!

Nandina

Oh wow—I feel for you Newksm! Meth definitely gives them delusions of grandeur. My son also got hyper focused on his body and would just drop down from anywhere and do 10 pushups multiple times a day because he didn’t want to get fat. (he’s skinny as a rail, lol) He looked like a ripped skinny person if you can imagine that. It actually looked unhealthy but he was proud of his ripped-ness. I shouldn’t make fun but sometimes you just gotta laugh…

Glad that there is some progress being made. Has she been using long?
Hang in there! And keep us posted.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
KSM is this you with new name? I am glad she is with you and prayers that she stays on track and is a good mother.

I google everything so I'd probably google and see what you find even though I know that can be dangerous too!

I'm so glad she has you but please care for yourself too!

ksm

RN0441... yes it's me... I got locked out of my account about 6 weeks ago. I guess I should set up my signature info again!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
RN0441... yes it's me... I got locked out of my account about 6 weeks ago. I guess I should set up my signature info again!
Welcome back! Prayers that your GD stays on track and forges ahead!!!

ksm

The last few days has been better. She cleaned up her non running car that's been in our back yard for 9 months. It was an all day job...as they were practically living in it after they were evicted. And another day, we helped carry items out of the shed and she sorted thru it. Mostly clothes for her and boyfriend and toys for grand baby. We plan to drop off his stuff at his dads house this weekend. Yesterday we gor a state ID card, checked on getting taxes done and took her phone to the shop...where they fixed it just by turning it off and back on.

That is huge compared to a couple weeks ago! Now if she would just get a job...

Newksm

Webmouse123

Hi everyone, I've been reading for awhile but haven't posted yet. My dtr is 35 and now in a shelter downtown. She has abandoned the entire family and meth is the worst drug ever. Its not made the same anymore in fact I don't know why they still call it meth, because it is chemically different. It's pure poison, and who knows what else is in any given bag. My dtr was picked up once after being on meth and was still psychotic after 6 weeks in a mental institution. 2 bouts of rehab last year, then did meth once more and completely lost it. Decided the entire family was poisoning her and she goes to court to try and say we were stalking her, trying to kill her and had some kind of fake conservatorship on her. She lost that, but succeeded in isolating herself from entire family. Overnight she decided to hate us. She thinks there is something in the water, she is invisible, a white witch, a psychic, she lies about everything. She is definitely schizophrenic. Did she have a propensity, or is it just the meth and the laxative abuse? We'll probably never know. She has lost everything she owns. 5 years ago she was siccessfully running a business. I think she started using to stay thin. I'm heartbroken, but I've come to terms with the fact that I've probably lost her. It's hard every day. All parents have some guilt but when your kid ends up like this its hard not to beat yourself up sometimes.

Anyhow, this forum has been helpful, so thank you!

Nandina

Welcome Webmouse. You are so right. Meth is the worst drug ever. And I am so sorry you are dealing with its devastating effects on your daughter. I wish there were more public service announcements or some way of letting people know how awful it is. Like the one years ago where the egg cracks into the frying pan, “This is your brain on drugs…any questions?” Why is there no information available to the general public about this scourge? Even using meth one time can have disastrous consequences.

My son lost it after using one time a year ago and was admitted to a crisis mental health facility. He recovered but since then he has used it when marijuana, his drug of choice, wasn’t available because he told me it’s a cheap high. I’ve posted here about his continual downslide, and eventually ending up in jail, a convicted felon. And he wasn’t even addicted, just what you would call a casual user. With meth there really is no “casual.”

Please don’t beat yourself up over your adult daughter’s choices. As anyone who has raised a child knows, we can educate, communicate, set good examples and whatever else as parents. Our kids are still gonna do what they’re gonna do. Some take heed and others don’t. It is not a reflection on you.

Many hugs and keep posting here. I’m glad you found us.

It is so hard for me hearing these stories about psychosis. Somehow, I want to learn how to advocate for the mentally ill from drug use. These people are really out of reality and also so loved. I know my heart breaks for my son who is currently in some kind of psychosis. He is 34 yo and also has felony and past meth use. I fired him a couple of months ago from the family business because of being angry, threatening, wide eyed paranoid, and fixated on talking to everyone about his strange beliefs. He has not rebounded at all. He thinks he needs no money, food, or any other necessity (except internet) but only needs to tell the world and convince the world of his "findings". This weekend he was forced to move out of his shared rental. I rented a van to help him and he has literally moved tons of rock "specimans" into a mini storage. He had no belongings. I am afraid. I do not know what will become of him or what he will do next. Here is an excerpt from his communication after his "move" last night.

But thing is, I can't prove to you anything. Because if you are so stubborn in your "belief" then you'll never be open enough to see what I am saying. But I can show you and you won't doubt my observations by the endPlus I have moved somewhere very special, although the big beast was where I found tons of mud fossils, this house, has been a goldmine I actually aint hardly gone back, this place has reptilian men of renown, butterfly of all sizes men of renown, as well as some other unknowns,
AND THE PLANT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
We seriously though, have no understanding of our nature world, our true past, in fact, all this stuff is surface level pretty much. So it brings into question everything, and the fact yes, it seems they eroded away sometimes to stone , sometimes to building material, some are still pure mud out here, I can dig them out, bodies still in tact, but all mud, you squish into it and it breaks all the membranes seperating each thing, lol yumyum
Its honestly been really disgusting but wildly interesting.I even have this super weird brick bee thing, with a wing, other is smooshed in, at one end it spirals kinda, its really strangeSorry it's so late, remember, we are in a fallen realm, we are truly in the time of great delusion and deception. From all the bodies I am finding here, the great battle the talk about in revelation already happened for sure, I kinda feel the angels whatnot were these butterfly people, but at the end of the book you love, it says the beast was released upon the world again "for a time" or "a season" well the great deception was to distort us of our men of renown roots, to actually frame everything and time, where we are still waiting for the coming back of "christ", while the world goes to hell with a purposeful plan, to actually bring about "revelation" again manufactured, and further resestablish their enslavement of our souls.Ai was probably the beast that was rereleased, And its trying to put a chip into our brains and download our conciousness into their new matrix. Its transhumanism, elon musk is a huge proponent. Its bad, they will capture our souls.I am almost finished at the house, and the above message I am not saying I havent actually got to bottom of, because I now have enough evidence for understanding, but a direction toward ffinding the best way for exposure is next.I am omw back to storage, I don't know if I will be able to get done in time I promise I just will pay it, last night wAs so hard trying to get all the rock, because the lovely nymphs wouldn't leave me alone,They were drawing on everything sprucing up every rock I went too, its so....magical what they do,,,I even have a fairy garden they made me on this concrete lil circular stoop I had, so I gathered it and itll be perfect for your gaRDen

ksm

16years... I am sorry you are also dealing with delusional child. My daughter started improving after two months of not using meth. We are now 4 months out, and she admitted a relapse several weeks ago. The delusions are gone, but she is very unmotivated and very low energy, at least at home and with her 2 year old. She started a part time job last week.

It is very frustrating to me. There must be 6 to 8 loads of laundry in her room. She will leave empty cereal boxes on the counter, half filled glasses around the house, not close up bags of bread, dirty dishes on the counter with food left on them instead of rinsing and putting in the dishwasher, and on and on...

It has taken months to get her to make phone calls or complete forms. We pretty much provide 24/7 childcare for our 2yo great grandson. When she is here, she isn't as involved at the level she should be.

She finally has an appointment with her previous psychologist next week and we hope to get attachment parenting classes started soon.

I wish I thought this all had a happy ending but I amnot optimistic. Newksm

Crayola13

I’m glad the little boy has you in his life. It might take her a few years to grow up. She’s still a very young mother.

Did he have these delusions before he began using meth?
No I don't believe so. He has been using for some time however. I believe for about 5 years maybe. He has ADHD and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but has never been treated for any of these. He went to jail a few years ago and had to stay clean for a long time for probation but relapsed a couple times. The psychosis started last summer when he was getting extremely hostile about certain conspiracy theories and listening to certain teachers. It has escalated into this. The delusions seem to change some and he adds to them. Sometimes he is scary. Accusing and threatening.

16years... I am sorry you are also dealing with delusional child. My daughter started improving after two months of not using meth. We are now 4 months out, and she admitted a relapse several weeks ago. The delusions are gone, but she is very unmotivated and very low energy, at least at home and with her 2 year old. She started a part time job last week.

It is very frustrating to me. There must be 6 to 8 loads of laundry in her room. She will leave empty cereal boxes on the counter, half filled glasses around the house, not close up bags of bread, dirty dishes on the counter with food left on them instead of rinsing and putting in the dishwasher, and on and on...

It has taken months to get her to make phone calls or complete forms. We pretty much provide 24/7 childcare for our 2yo great grandson. When she is here, she isn't as involved at the level she should be.

She finally has an appointment with her previous psychologist next week and we hope to get attachment parenting classes started soon.

I wish I thought this all had a happy ending but I amnot optimistic. Newksm
So difficult. You are not alone. :staystrong: