Neurotonin?

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
psychiatrist wants to start me on this for my chronic pain and anxiety. Anyone got experience with this?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
That's what husband is on for his testicular neuroma. It was originally created to help with anxiety and a side effect is kind of a nerve block. (You know me on FB, hubby said to PM him..)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Sent him a message, thanks! All info is welcome, the Rx won't go to the pharmacy until Monday so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

flutterby

Fly away!
Neurontin is a seizure medication that is also* used for chronic pain and nerve pain. Lyrica is the basically Neurontin that is effective at a lower dose, if that helps explain it. It works well for a lot of people. It made me *intensely* suicidal after 3 days on the lowest dose, but I have a tendency to get the psychiatric side effects of medications. I didn't know it was used for anxiety. It's sedating - take it at night.

DammitJanet

Neurontin is an okay medication for nerve pain. It came out before Lyrica. I was on it long ago and am back on it for my fibro. I dont know how well it is working. Im not thrilled about another medication in this class along with the topamax and the lamictal. They also have a new form of this which is a long acting one so you dont have to take it 3 time a day like you do the neurontin. I will think of the name eventually. LOL.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I have joint pain from old sports injuries that really flares up in winter along with general aches from chronic stress that's really flared right now.

Flutter, were you on any other medications at the time or just the Neurotonin? That's scary.

Janet I just know she's titrating me up with weekly changes in the dosage, but I've not seen the medication yet. I take it once a day with supper is what she said.

TerryJ2

Let us know how it goes.

My cousin is on it and has been for many years. She is such an unreliable source that I have no idea if it works for her. The doctors seem to think it works. The others here hafe given you great info.

flutterby

Fly away!
Haozi, I was on many different medications (still am), including an AD that I had been on for years. Neurontin was the only new medication and somehow I was able to find a moment of clarity and realize I had started a new medication and that was probably the problem. It was intense - more like a very strong compulsion. It was also the only time I called a suicide hotline, and I'd been hospitalized for severe depression before. 4 days after I stopped the medication, I was fine. It was like someone flipped a switch - on then off 4 days later.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/114859.php

flutterby

Fly away!
See how it works for you. I'm just thinking there might be better alternatives for joint pain and general aches - naproxen (prescription strength) or Celebrex, Cymbalta, Voltaren Gel, etc.