Marguerite

I have to endorse the others - you must put your granddaughter's needs first.

I watched my sister go through similar traumas with her adopted son. He first left home when he was about 15, she couldn't prevent it, short of nailing his feet to the floor. He left their country town and headed for the sleazier parts of Sydney. He was probably prostituting himself for drugs from an early stage. He was also robbing people, breaking into houses and would steal cash from anyone, including close family. He stole several thousand dollars from my father's 'frozen assets' in the freezer emergency cash stash. He was in and out of rehab then in and out of jail. He would turn up with a new girlfriend, declare he was clean and going straight, but would continue with drug trafficking and use. Over the years he's had a series of GFs, a series of sons, my sister has ended up either having to instantly become sole carer to a grandson or suddenly having the kid whisked away "and you'll never see him again" when he turned up and got angry because she challenged him about ongoing drug use.

He's now 40, clean and going straight. We now recognise serious learning problems which weren't dealt with when he was younger. We managed to get him diagnosed with dyslexia but back then schools wouldn't recognise it or support a child with it because too many teachers didn't believe in it as a legit diagnosis. His oldest son (back with grandma) looks like he's about to get an Asperger's diagnosis. Her various grandsons have had a rough time of it, being pulled here and there, changing schools every time they get sent to live with grandma or taken home again by mum.

For a long time my sister did everything she could for her son. She poured money into the situation (money she didn't have) with bail, buying him furniture and food. He sold everything to get drugs. When my mother moved into a retirement home my sister took a lot of the whitegoods and gave them to her son. He sold them, too. Or his druggie mates trashed them.

He only began to get his act together when he had no choice but deal with the rock bottom. She could no longer help him, he was in and out of jail and totally out of touch with family. He had cut himself off completely. She could no longer have him in her house. So eventually it was make or break and he HAD to do it for himself and by himself. His rapidly growing-up son gave him motivation.

My sister was getting married again, after years of being alone. He got in touch, asked very meekly if he could pop into the wedding (it was very informal, in family backyard). She invited him with open arms and he came, with his oldest son. He stayed in the background and clearly felt embarrassed because he knew how much he had hurt his mother. That alone was enough for us to see that he has finally changed and we think, permanently at last.

Things aren't good for him. He's not well. I suspect he's HIV positive. He's had to give up alcohol as well as drugs, although he still smokes. He's not imposing himself on his mother, although he is now in touch for advice and moral support. I wish we could have got him better help when he was young enough for it to have maybe made a difference, but our focus now is on his sons, especially his oldest. And he accepts that - he sees himself as damaged goods and his son as the main priority. "Learn from my experience," is what he says. "The damage must stop here."

My sister now realises that taking him back in all those times, when he was just out of jail or just out of rehab, when she could SEE he was using again - all that was enabling him and delaying his eventual recognition that he had to get serious help.

It's hard to say no, especially when they're crying, they're desperate, they say they'll die if you don't take them in. But if you give way - they've got a reprieve and will party to celebrate.

Talk to a drug counsellor, see what options there are so you can help, but safely from a distance. J is an adult now, even if she's not behaving like one. You need to stop this continuing into the next generation.

Good luck.

Marg

gottaloveem

Sorry things have been so hard with-your stepdaughter. Thank-god you and your wife have guardianship of your granddaughter. It sounds like you and your wife have handled this mess in the right way, with loving detachment. I know how a drug using child can stress out a family.

Hopefully one day, your daughter will wake up and change her ways so you can all be together and enjoy life together without the chaos drug use brings.

saving grace

Welcome HWGA you have definitely come to the right place to unload and share such a heavy burden your carrying around. It must be so overwhelming when you right it all down and recount the tragedies year for year. Alot of us here, especially in PE and SA forum have been there done that. Please do come back and share some more, the folks here are very helpful and caring and NON judgemental.

You are doing the right thing,put the babies needs first then do what you can for difficult child. The others above have really given good advice already.

Just wanted to say HI

Grace

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hi HWGA, welcome to the board and welcome to PE.

I really don't have much to add except to suggest, along with Wyntersgrace's lead, that you try to find a different kind of rehab for your daughter. My son went to a "dual-diagnostic" (mental illness/substance abuse) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) when he was a minor...hopefully there is such a thing for adults, too? We got direction and assistance from our MHMR (Mental Health, Mental Retardation) department. Has your daughter ever been medication complaint?

Suz

hearthope

I am glad you found us and are able to tell your story, I know it helps to get it off your chest.

I want to share with you a story of my friend.

She dabbled in pot and pills on and off for several yrs.
Finally, she did enough that she was fired from her job.
She moved back to her home state and cleaned up.
She married, and had a son.
She divorced and started using again.
She became pregnant again and cleaned up.
She married and stayed clean for a while.
This man brought 2 children into the marriage so between them there were 4 kids.
He was not a good provider and she buckled under the stress of making the ends meet.
She disappeared for mths, she ended up on the streets selling herself for crack.
She was finally arrested and spent time in jail and was released into the first of four drug rehabs.
She was on medicad during the treatments and finally was diagnosis'ed bi-polar.

I have to say that as long as she stayed on her medications she thrived.

When she stopped her medications, she relasped. It was always legal trouble that got her in rehabs and clean

She is 40 yrs old, she started using in her early 30's.
She had made the 16 mth mark of sober last mth.
She was currently fighting for custody of her oldest son.
I tearfully say that I recieved a collect call from jail fri.
She used and was busted, again in jail. This was her weekend to have her oldest son home. I made the call for them not to meet her.
Her mother is done. She has spent thousands of dollars trying to "help" her get her life straight.

I wanted you to know that there is hope, once she was diagnosis'ed she knew what the problem was and she was trained through counsel how to handle it.
When she went to her meetings and she was on her medications, she thrived.
I can say that she was not allowed to suffer once she was clean.
Her mom payed fines,bought cars, helped her with the bills and childcare. She also hired lawyers for her.
Looking back I think if it was harder for her to bounce back after using maybe it would have helped her make the choice to stay clean

She always had in the back of her mind that her mom would bail her out.

This will be the first time her mom has said no, I am done. We will see what happens this time.

I wish you peace, drugs touch so many lives. I hope that your daughter can find help in a diagnosis, my friend did, if she could only stay on the medications.

AliceLee

HWGA, your tale sounds all too familiar. I'm sorry.

I caution you to think hard before taking her in. It will most probably hurt your whole family, especially your grandaughter.

If there's an arrest warrant out for her, shouldn't she be in jail? Maybe she should be there for her own safety. Hopefully, the judge will release her to a treatment facility when one becomes available.

God bless you.

KFld

Hi and welcome. I am the mother of a 20 year old son, currently in recovery. He is a heroin addict and the last 1 1/2 have been very difficult. Your daughter has to want to help herself and in the end, no matter how much we try, there isn't much we can do until they are ready. My son has been in and out of rehabs many times over the last year and is currently living in a soberhouse and seems to be serious about staying clean. He didn't get that way until I detatched and had to throw him out of our house and allow him to hit bottom and see what it was like to fend for himself. Right now he is almost 5 months clean, working and doing well.

I hope you daughter gets into the next 90 day program and sticks with it. It's so hard to watch them relapse when they get some time behind them.

As far as you letting her live home until she gets into the program, you have to follow your heart.

Please keep us posted and welcome to our site. The weekends can be a little slow, but more people who have been in your situation will be around during the week. There are a lot of good people here who can fill you in on what has worked for them, and what hasn't. As I said above though, you have to follow your heart. What works for one, doesn't always work for another.

Hope to see more of you here.

Sunlight

I have to say I am in tears here reading your story. every word.

my son is an addict and has been so since age 13. he is 23. he has fathered a son who is three. I would like to get custody of that child. his mom sleeps all day and he is left to fend for himself. my son has him two weeks on two weeks off. my son lives here. my concern is that my grandson has no true home. he is a drifter from home to home. I cannot change that for now.

I allow my son to live here because he was released from prison almost 6 months ago. no place to go. he had been in jail for over two yrs for DUIs. since age 18 he had been in and out of jail or on the run...once taking his two month old son and disappearing for two months.

once they show us they are capable of this lifestyle, we can never truly trust that they will never do it again. we must protect ourselves with boundaries. we can only take so much.

so, we tell them they can live as they chose.. but we cannot go down that path with them. we also cannot let our grandchildren suffer and live with that.

I hope my son never has another child. he is a good dad to his son, but you never know for sure when things could relapse.

my thoughts if she were my daughter...I would make sure she is sterilized so no more kids are born. I would offer her a temp place to live til she goes to the rehab. she must go from the rehab to other housing. to protect her daughter from watching and hoping that mom will be all ok. her daughter doesnt need to cycle with mom.

if my son relapses he knows he is not coming back here. no matter how much he cries. his son will be protected from that misery.
Good luck and God bless. I hope that I am not still watching my son go up and down with his addiction when he is 26.
these 10 yrs have been much more than I ever wanted to go thru.

You and your wife are survivors.

Got calls from difficult child last night, today -- they are mistreating her, she needs to get out of there and come home, nobody cares, etc.

This makes me think she still isn't truly serious. Blaming others instead of realizing that she is reaping what she has sown. She was so contrite Saturday, now it's all poor, pitiful me again. The second I stop playing the bad*** (and I hate being a bad***) and show any kind of willingness to help her she wants to milk it. I told her she needs to stay there until she's thoroughly detoxed and has a date certain for Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I need to find out about Medicaid/SSI status -- she is clueless -- I don't know who's paying the bill at the hospital but I imagine they're going to want to ship her out at the first opportunity.

Loris

I'm sorry she's calling to try and make you feel quilty. My 24 yr old is famous for that. It's easier when they blame others, maybe, but it shows they are aren't accepting the responsibility. That's sad, but often that's the way it is.
Just a sidenote, it is usually best when a post is this long to start another post. That way, you're not overlooked. Someone may not realize you have posted with an update. Or some do just post update after the title of their original post.
I hope you are able to get somewhere seeking help for J. I know it's not easy, I feel for your family. I hope things start looking up.

judi

Keep your distance in my humble opinion. You are so right - you will be sucked right back into it. I too have dealing with this garbage for years now and am just so tired of it all. We have not had any contact in a month now and the peace and quiet is worth the agony of not knowing how he is or what he is doing.