New

DonnaB

I'm Donna and I'm new to this site. I have 2 sons, 22 and 17. My 17 year old has RSS, ADD, Soft Bipolar, NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) and other LDs. I would love to here how others are preparing their children to become "adults". I know that it's so much harder to get them ready than "normal" children.

Donna,

Welcome to our site!!! It's nice to have you here and I look forward to getting to know you better.

I don't have much time right now but I have three children. Two of my children are difficult children. difficult child 1 is 17 yrs. old and difficult child 2 is 16 yrs. old. Both of them are males and both of them are a MAJOR CHALLENGE when it comes to preparing them for life in the "real world."

I'll go into more detail regarding my difficult children when I have more time. I know others will be here soon to welcome you too. WFEN

4sumrzn

Hello & welcome Donna!!!! I'm not that far along with my difficult child "yet", but others here are & will be along. You have found a great place to be! Once again, welcome.

BusynMember

Hi there, Donna. I have an almost 15 year old on the autism spectrum and we have to plan his after 18 life too (kind of early but the school starts a path toward his adulthood next year, when he will be a frosh).
Does your daughter have any services in place? Social workers who can help you both make decisions for her? I do know that we plan on letting Lucas postpone his "adulthood" until he is 21. Even then he will probably will need a little assistance from somebody--assisted living and help getting a job, probably. Maybe social security to supplement his income. Is the school district helping you? The county? A private psychiatrist/neuropsychologist/therapist?

Steely

Hey welcome.....

It looks like our kiddos have similar diagnoses. You might check out the threads on the Parent Emeritus forum that we have. We chat a lot about how we are going to get our kids ready for adulthood. It is a scary and long process, but we are all here for you.

Hugs.

Christy

Hi and Welcome!
My son is only 9 but that's a question I've been thinking about so I hope you get lots of responses from others with older children.

Good Luck!
Christy