Oh ssssuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrre

Star*

call 911........call 911
So I have to do this lifestyle change and I'm adjusting very well, which is good because I didn't think I would. But get over myself already.

Part of this change is ABSOLUTELY nothing to eat after 7:00 PM. (Nancy may have something that I'm not real - possibly a Gremlin and will turn into SPike and wreak havoc) but it's not negotiable. So the first night? DF makes popcorn at 7:15, has a bowl of cheerios at 8:00, then has a popsicle at 9:00 and a few cheetos a little later. Nice - (I can't use the name here I called him under my breath but isn't it amazing, utterly AMAZING that when your body is void of food your mouth takes on a life of it's own and utters language that would make a sailor pale) even more amazing is that you can speak DIRECTLY to a man and he will say WHAT? And you end up in a mindless, repititious game of say it twice or else but call him a nasty name under your breath, with your back turned and he hears you as if he had the auditory clarity of a jackrabbit.

So this lifestyle "thing" also includes 30 minutes of exercise a night. Grrrreat. Now on top of everything else I have given myself the equivalent of Indian rug burns on my butt from riding a stationary bicycle. I didn't have ENOUGH problems - now I can't sit at work without slinging my hip this way or that way and taking a pillow to work is not an option.

Then I have to hear DF complain as I empty the entire house of ANY and all foods that are OFF the list, place them in boxes and bags and rid our house of evil food forever. What if I am wrong? What if this doesn't work? Why does HE have to participate? In a fit of anger I drug out MY full length mirror and placed it in the kitchen. Then he whined about the Splenda - it doesn't TASTE like sugar. Nope it doesn't. But you just keep loading those healthy cheerios with heaping spoonfulls of whatever you want fatman - but don't come crying to me when you can't get your pants buttoned.

So for the last 2 weeks - after believing that I had a stressed induced heart attack - and got serious about getting a doctor to work with me to find out why I feel so lousy - I got him on board with me. And he's been doing it. We have been doing it. I have lost 1 lb in 2 weeks. I had my little victory dance (yippee) 1 lb. 1lb. 1 lb. 2 weeks.....1 lb. happy me.

And so he goes to the doctor and ya know what......he calls me today - after being on this same exact thing for ONE week.......

SEVEN LBs. SEVEN.......HE LOST SEVEN LBS.

you watch - he's going to get all thin, and fit......and I'm still going to be sick, and fat and HUNGRY. :mad: ARGH.

klmno

It was sloppy handwriting by the dr. That 7 was really a 1, just like you. :D

Congrats on hanging in there and doing this- you'll get there!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
My dad is the same way. Went on a diet and lost 20 lbs in a month. Unfortunately....I didn't get my metabolism from him.

No advice or words of comfort but I would be Grrrrrrr-ing too. Hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sweetie pie..........this always happens. ALWAYS. But ya see, his weight loss is water weight........you're is most probably the real deal. :D That means his will come back and bite him in the arse, yours won't.

Shoot, if my husband would just stop drinking soda he'd loose 50 lbs in no time flat. Yeah, not gonna happen. Can't even get him to drink diet.

Try freecycle for a treadmill. We have lots of them on ours for some reason. lol And it will save your fanny, plus keep you from building muscle, which at this point you don't want. Later down the road......not now.

You'll get used to the splenda pretty fast. But make sure to look for the generic of it at wallie world. Few dollars cheaper. Notice I said dollars. And it's the same stuff. Even tastes the same.

And yeah............I've noticed the thing with men and lifestyle changes. Mine would ask me (I swear to God) about every 15 mins if I wanted sunflower seeds, pepsi, or some other snack I happen to crave.....knowing full well none of it I could have.:mad:

I got him back though..........I made him eat vegatarian for a week. :D LOL

Congrats on that 1lb. I'M PROUD of ya!!

((hugs))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There, there honey. I know JUST how you feel! On our roadtrip I made every effort to take stairs, go on hikes, kayak, cycle, whatever just to increase my caloric expenditure for the day, combined with eating less fat, less sugar, less calories. I lost, oh, maybe 3 pounds.

husband, bless his chubby little heart... he did not kayak. He ate what he wanted, as much as he wanted (which was waaaay more than me). He slept in. He sat around and fished all day. He slept in. He rode his bike the same amount as me. He did not hike as much as me. He took the elevator. And how much did HE lose? Close to 10 pounds!!!

Not fair, not fair, not fair, not fair, not fair. Not. Fair. Whatever. His cholesterol is out of control, so nyaah, nyaah, nya-nyaah nyaah.

YEAH for YOU, Star, for making the changes for yourself!!! I hope you stick with it despite resistance from the peanut gallery. You deserve to feel better!

witzend

When I was much younger I worked with a very pretty young lady who was not fat. She just wasn't bone thin. She went on a diet and she was so thrilled that she had lost 5 pounds the first week. The second week she lost 1 pound. Same the third week. She was so upset that she quit the diet. I didn't get it. If she wanted to be thinner forever, what would be the problem with only losing 56 pounds in a year?

Don't worry, Miss Star, time is on your side in a diet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, one thing that really helped me with my lifestyle change.................

I refused to make it about the weight. It was so I could feel GOOD again. Human. Maybe have some energy. Instead of feeling like I desperately needed to crawl into bed all day.

I swear when doctor told me exercise would give me more energy I called him a liar. lol But it did after a short while. That and the lifestyle change.

The weight loss to me was an added bonus. And at first, I didn't lose much. A pound here or there. Not noticable cuz I can make that up with water retention on any given day. sigh But once my body got going and my metabolizm finally kicked back on.......I did much better......and the pounds started going.

If I'd let myself worry about the weight part, I'd have gotten frustrated and quit. (I know me)

I'm oh, about 50 pounds over weight right now. This seems to be my top weight. I never (no matter how much I eat) go over this weight. Which is a good thing I guess. So I'm back to the lifestyle change. (my body is again giving me no choice) If the weight goes, that will be nice. But I've been the weight I am now for so long........actually it doesn't bother me much.

I just want to feel human again. ugh

((hugs))

Lothlorien

Men always lose more weight than women in a shorter period of time. It's so not fair, but it is their metabolism. It's what we suffer from being the sex that has babies.

Congratulations on your lifestyle change and the 1 pound.

trinityroyal

Star, congratulations! Slow and steady is the best possible way to lose weight over the long term.

Yes, men have faster metabolism than we do, and they generally are able to drop weight more quickly than women. BUT, they're also MUCH quicker to gain it back.

You're doing great! And I agree with Lisa's suggestion about the treadmill.

susiestar

Roll With It
Star,

It is true that men always lose weight faster than women. It is a hormonal thing, from what my endocrinologist says.

You concentrate on the lifestyle change. NOT the weight.

My father in law used to gain 10-25 pounds every winter and lose it every summer. SMIL kept wardrobes for him in 2 sizes.

He had a very bad heart attack about 10 years ago. It was late enough in life that for some reason it doesn't count toward my husband's heart attack risk.

The problem leading up to the heart attack was the repeated gaining and losing of weight. If he had STAYED even 50 pounds overweight it would have been healthier in the long run that his cycle.

So you concentrate on FEELING better, not on competitive weight loss!! You are not in the Olympic Weight Loss Competition. ''we want you around for a LONG time, not for just a little while!!!

I used to just whap husband on the back of the head when I walked past him if he was being rude about eating while I was enduring the beginnings of lifestyle changes.

Since he can only hear you when you mumble, ONLY speak to him in a mumble. Why waste the time with the Huh? game??

Or if there is something he really likes you could do what I did to the kids. They couldn't hear ANYTHING that I said unless it had to do with dessert or something fun (fun for them, not concerned if it was fun for me or not). So I would say "Chocolate Chip Cookie" and then "Could you please take out the trash?" or whatever.

It worked for YEARS. Actually, it still works! I didn't just use choc chip cookie, I named all sorts of yummy things. Having Chocolate in the word helped.

ps. When you stop for tea or whatever at McDonalds or a gas station or whereever, grab an extra packet of splenda. That way you have one in your purse and even a few at home if you need them. Just don't go overboard.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

Good job on the pound weight loss Star. Slow & steady wins the race!!!

Here's a story that might make you feel better about DF's weight loss: I was recently sitting with my bff, she's all of 5'3" and she was complaining about being 126 lbs.

126 lbs.

I did the only thing I could think of as she just didn't get the disdainful look I shot her. I lifted up the back of my shirt and said: "Let me introduce you to my back fat."

She burst out laughing.

graceupongrace

Star,

You're off to a great start! Way To Go!

After a bit, your body will start to crave that exercise. And it really helps emotionally as well as physically. Exercise is a great way to fight depression & frustration. I call my treadmill "mommy's sanity saver." LOL! I try to run either outside or on the treadmill every day, and when I don't, I miss it.

Hang in there. It will pay off. Honest. :D

grace

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - 2 points for tired mommie and her back fat comment - I lol'd at work and got myself in trouble....hahah.

and grace - I think i feel like that - I even stuck my nose in a gym today and got an invite to come back for free (Hear that Susie* supercheapy) on Friday. So I'm going to check it out - even though I'm a proximitist and I have a nose like a bloodhound :) thinking of sweaty people. Maybe

I've been doing Splendablend for 2 years.

THere's more to it - but at least I have a doctor willing to work with me and keep looking for answers.

When I'm a real person - maybe I'll post a picture. lol

Wiped Out

Staff member
Star,
You are off to a great start. It never seems fair that men lose so much faster than we do! Slow and steady is the way to go! It is amazing what a difference exercising will make and in more ways than one! As for the bike, I think they sell padded seats still, I bought one once but rarely bike, if I can find it I'll let you know and I'll send it to you.

Keep going, working for WW, we tell people about 1 pound a week is good! There will be times when you will gain. Don't get discouraged. I went through a lifestyle change about 13 years ago. I joined WW, kept exercising (I already was doing that) and lost 70 pounds. Fifty of that I've kept off. I started drinking water (64 oz) a day, before that I never drank water, maybe a few sips at a restaurant.

I know you can do this!

TM, you had me rofl!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That is my H too. He boasts about his weight being what it was in High School and I just want to kick him till he bleeds. Lol.

You just keep going and going and you will do nicely. The best way to lose weight is slowly anyway. You're doing great so far!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's the rub-

I've had a lifestyle change since the board started the healthy living forum and really stuck to it. No weight loss - so the doctor is doing tests to see why - but as a skeptic does not belive that you can drink as much water as I can, eat the small portions I do and eat what I have journaled that I do - and NOT loose weight - so that's why she's done the tests. In tears I told her THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE -

The over all problem? I went from being a very fit/active 135 lbs. in January to 280 lbs. and feeling like I was dying in July - with multiple health issues that I never had before. This has been going on for six years - two of which I have had a lifestyle /diet/change. With NO change. Something is wrong - and has been wrong - and no one can find out what the problem is. I am a thin woman trapped in an unhealthy huge body. I gained an entire me PLUS 10 pounds in less than 6 months - and no one has any answers. THAT is why I'm a wreck. :( The doctor I'm seeing now is conversing with two other doctors and they have some theories which go from ridiculous to scary - but I'm not getting upset - I just want to get well and finally have a chance to work with someone who believes me - I took a picture of myself like before and after. It's pretty wild. I didn't eat myself into this body - I never changed my healthy eating habits or my exercise habits until I got so huge I couldn't walk or exercise - Now I'm forcing myself to do it and OMG it's very hard. But I have one month to prove to her that I'm not just making this up. Something isn't right. :(:(

susiestar

Roll With It
OH WOW, Star!! That is incredible!! My pain doctor was upset because I gained 30 lbs in a month - but it was because I didn't poop for 2 weeks. We are working on THAT.

To have no answers, I am crying for you! I know I didn't gain that quickly, mine came on with each pregnancy, but I could not ever lose the weight. Even with healthy lifestyle changes, no progress. But that is not a fraction of what you are dealing with.

I am proud of you for forcing yourself to eat well and lose weight.

I have another chore for you. Go to whatever docs you used to see, the ones who did tests and said everything was fine. Tell them you want copies of the actual lab reports from ALL of the tests tehy did on you. NOT the doctors report, the actual paper from the lab with the results.

Then you make a graph for each test. The amount of whatever they measured on the up and down part, dates on the bottom part.

Then take those to your doctor. Often the TREND of what the chemicals are doing tells more than the test itself. For my mom, doing this graphing meant that her doctor said "You have PBC." NONE of her liver enzymes were out of normal range. But one went up and another went down. THAT told teh doctor it was Primary Biliary Cirrhosis that caused most of her health problems. And the treatment was AMAZING.

Call the docs tomorrow or monday. It may take them some time to pull the tests out. But this may help figure out what is going on. Which could save your life.

When you are on the right track, get a lawyer and sue the jerk of a doctor who said you were "just fat" because you ate "wrong".

If you cannot graph the results, send the tests results from the lab to me and I will do it for you. You can even scan them and email them to me.

Somewhere there is an answer. I am glad you have a doctor who is working on it.

Gentle hugs.