Older parents ... how screwed up are people under 35?

Between
the creation of the cellphone,
gender politics
identity politics
alt right
alt left
podcasts
lost of interest in procreation and humanity
Safe spaces
Social justice worries
Catering to whoever complain loud enough on twitter
Woman becoming responsibile for everything
Men becoming obsolete
Marriage becoming unimportant

How do you think it will effect our kids? Or do you think similar things existed throughout all time?

Dory

WOW
Personally it is my biggest hate in life. I don't have Facebook , I only have text and email if your lucky.
It is not me and definitely not what I wanted for my children.
It is the DEVIL I seriously can't see any good in it.

I'm just going to throw up!

BusynMember

My two kids under 35 are amazing and I don't see anything wrong. I kind of like technology myself!! :)

Men obsolete? They run the country and are not doing a good job
I personally stopped watching the news when Trump got in...for me he embodies everything I don't like about humanity. He is a man...as far as I know ;). And Congress is almost all men as is Wall Street and most CEOs. How are men irrelevant? I wish men WOULD share more of the power, especially white men.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I have four kids under 35. One is a child 13, the other three are adults.

My adult kids are all hard-working corporate types who laugh at safe spaces and gender politics.

They do love their cell phones, though!

But then, who doesn’t?

Lil

Between
the creation of the cellphone,
gender politics
identity politics
alt right
alt left
podcasts
lost of interest in procreation and humanity
Safe spaces
Social justice worries
Catering to whoever complain loud enough on twitter
Woman becoming responsibile for everything
Men becoming obsolete
Marriage becoming unimportant

How do you think it will effect our kids? Or do you think similar things existed throughout all time?

I do think technology in general has not been all positive. I mean, there are people who can barely spell, because spell-check fixes it for them. You go out to dinner and there are phones on every table, instead of people chatting. Jabber (my husband) and I are guilty of it, and we tend to sit in the living room, watching TV, him on his laptop, me on my tablet, not really speaking to each other unless it's to share a funny we saw on Facebook. The other night we went out to dinner. A fellow sitting at the next table alone reading and eating struck up a conversation with us. It was so odd...talking to a stranger instead of them just staring at a phone and ignoring everyone.

I think you can reconcile a "loss of interest in...humanity" and "social justice issues". I mean, if you have interest in social justice, you have interest in humanity.

I think all of the politics - gender/identity/alt whatever - have always been there. I think that technology, again, is part of what makes us more aware. I mean, if all you had was newspapers and TV, you didn't KNOW what just happened a thousand miles away and it certainly didn't intrude on your daily life.

I do think that many people are too thin-skinned these days. I mean, I'm fat. Do I get offended by fat jokes? Yeah. Do I expect people to not tell fat jokes? No. Always going to happen. I don't need a "safe space" because I learned to not really CARE what other people think all that much. We've always had sexual harassment. It should end, absolutely. But I'm not going to shut myself away because someone cat-called me...I'm more likely to tell them off. It does seem to me that people used to have more backbone. We expect people to be so polite these days and if they say what they really think, the mob descends on them. I don't know, I could be wrong. Fact is, I tend to be pretty deaf to other peoples comments...so maybe that's just me.

I don't think men are obsolete. But, let's be honest, women have always been responsible for everything, ;) at least since WWII when they began entering the work force in greater numbers. "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan..." has been around a long time. I don't know that's changed at all.

I just see younger couples and even my kids struggling with expectations and I think it adds to their stress.

I laugh of most of the stuff too, but you have to be so careful these day. But I’m an adult, you want something better for your kids, right?

So what you are saying is the insanity will pass?

I just grew up with zero biases and was so surprised in 2015 when all hell broke loose again.

Suppose turning off all my absurd cable news and political radio may help...lol.

We just have so much potential to thrive together as humans. It’s painful to see us divided in contentious way. Then again, maybe that’s just tv spin.

BusynMember

Smitty, I have learned to take my kids as individuals. Example, my daughter graduated in Criminal Justice and just got a Corrections job at the county jail. She is over the moon. I never thought of a daughter being in this field but SHE wants this. I am thrilled for her. I am so proud. Even though I truly never thought of her outcome as this.

We have to remember that their dreams may be very different than ours and that's okay!

As for the news, I dont watch it on purpose. It is all negative, at least what is put on the air, and I learned I can only control my little piece of the world. I wish I could help the whole world but it only makes me sad to see what is bad and out of my control.I am only one person who can't help. If I could, I would! I don't care if I'm uninformed. I volunteer and do what is possible in my community.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Hmmmm, Smitty,

Well we have figured out your problem—too much news!

You are being overloaded with negativity!

I hardly ever watch the news. Even my hubby hardly watches anymore. Yay!

Interesting thing happened—my son went to San Francisco a few months ago, and spent a lot of time with a girl he met there who goes to U C Berkeley.

He is pretty middle of the road politically (he’s really not into politics much at all). He said she told him that the students (in her opinion) weren’t really all that into all the politics and all the identity stuff going on that you hear about in the news. She claimed it is more the professors who push that stuff and most of the students really don’t like it and don’t believe in all the outlandish stuff. It’s really more of an outlier than the norm.

That makes me feel quite good, that the young people aren’t any more ridiculous than the rest of us.

Pink Elephant

What I see today, as compared to my own upbringing (when I was that age), is high paying job prospects are scarce, and the value of relationships has lost much ground.

Formal education doesn't reward today's generation with automatic employment, and with the high price of real estate in general nowadays, owning a home for a good portion of will never be. How defeating... how sad.

So in many regards when I see the younger generation engrossed in the likes of Podcasts, YouTube videos, and immersed in their electronic devices, I sometimes think, that's all they have to look forward to, which makes me even more sad.

BusynMember

The world has always been screwed up. As I pointed out before, somebody always suffered. Women couldn't vote until 70 years ago. Blacks were slaves, then legally segregated. It was illegal to date out of your race. The Depression was horrible. The world wars we're horrific. Hitler was a monster who almost took over the world. Came very close. Six millionmJews were killed for being Jewish. The Klan was once active. in third world countries, staying alive another day is a struggle. Children die. Gays and lesbians had to fight for equality and we're told they were abominations. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think the world is MUCH better with all that being history and we still have far to go.

I can't see, if we are including everybody and not just white Christian's, how anyone can think things are worse now. I don't like talking politics but saying the world is MUCH MORE screwed up now is political too. I have Jewish ancestors likely killed in the war and I have black kids whose ancesters were probably segregated and slaves before that. My son is gay. Today he can marry. The learning disabled like myself get help in school these days. Back in the good old days teachers called me stupid and lazy in front of my peers. That can't happen today without serious reprecussions to the teacher. To me, these issues are more important than whether some older adults think cell phones are ruining our kids.

I feel a strong urge to remind people who talk about the state of the world that it is much better now for so many, if not half or most. I know nobody here is being malicious in any way! I just am defending my family. And others who had a very hard time in the past. I am always thinking about the underdog. That is who I am:)

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

The world has always been screwed up. As I pointed out before, somebody always suffered. Women couldn't vote until 70 years ago. Blacks were slaves, then legally segregated. It was illegal to date out of your race. The Depression was horrible. The world wars we're horrific. Hitler was a monster who almost took over the world. Came very close. Six millionmJews were killed for being Jewish. The Klan was once active. in third world countries, staying alive another day is a struggle. Children die. Gays and lesbians had to fight for equality and we're told they were abominations. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think the world is MUCH better with all that being history and we still have far to go.

I can't see, if we are including everybody and not just white Christian's, how anyone can think things are worse now. I don't like talking politics but saying the world is MUCH MORE screwed up now is political too. I have Jewish ancestors likely killed in the war and I have black kids whose ancesters were probably segregated and slaves before that. My son is gay. Today he can marry. The learning disabled like myself get help in school these days. Back in the good old days teachers called me stupid and lazy in front of my peers. That can't happen today without serious reprecussions to the teacher. To me, these issues are more important than whether some older adults think cell phones are ruining our kids.

I feel a strong urge to remind people who talk about the state of the world that it is much better now for so many, if not half or most. I know nobody here is being malicious in any way! I just am defending my family. And others who had a very hard time in the past. I am always thinking about the underdog. That is who I am:)
SOT. We know people with grown children in their 40's, children who they spend tens of thousands on so they could achieve a formal education, and those very same children (now adults) are living in the basement of their home, because they are unable to find high enough paying jobs that will afford them the opportunity to feed themselves while at the same time, keep a roof over their heads.

In the 60's and 70's, you could quit the job you were working today, and hire on at a new job tomorrow, and if at the end of tomorrow you didn't like the new job you were working, there was another new job waiting for you the next day.

Today, pensions, after putting in along working career are no more, and the retirement age here in Canada has now crept up to the age of 70.

Make no mistake, our world has progressed favourably since the 30's and 40's, but by no means am I going to tout what a great place our world is, because the younger generation, without the financial backing of well-to-do parents, is going to see very little in the way of a lifestyle that a generation before is enjoying and will enjoy.

Twenty or more years ago we (in our country) still had a middle class. Today, the middle class is gone. You either have a source of income that offers a life of living, or you don't, there is no in-between no more.

Our government spends billions of nonsense things, yet we still have a percentage of people who are homeless. When I see that I have nothing good to say in regards to how our world has progressed.

BusynMember

That's fine.

I just see things very differently. And my own kid's prove to me that one can get a good job even without paying 40k for college. Its about going into a field where people are needed rather than plain liberal arts or teaching (overcrowded) or believing there is a manufacturing job out there. There is not. We are not well to do. But my oldest makes six figures without college, my daughter is going to start a nice paying government job with a two year degree, my other daughter made decent money as a pastry chef with a two year degree and my autistic son has a job, housing and good services.

I always include all races, disabilities and sexual orientations when I assess if I feel things have become better or worse. I can not to see the world at least in the U.S. as worse. I just don't see it like that at all. I see progress, acceptance and, yes, opportunity for more people...the learning disabled, those with worse disabilities, like autism, those of various minorities who suffered once and still do but not as much. This matters to me very much. This acceptance makes me feel very optimistic about the future. Right now I am living life with no regrets that things have changed. I see the changes as mostly quite good. I am loving life!! Now. In 2018!!

The government always wasted money and what is nonsense is to one is worthwhile to somebody else (shrug). That isn't new, it's gone on since the start of the country and I don't fret over it. I personally cringe inside at Trump, although some like him, but I don't think he or any one person can ruin the country. I don't watch the news. Apologies to those who like Trump.

Agree to disagree :)

Last edited: