One of those nights

L

Liahona

Its been one of those nights. I know everyone here knows what I mean. So worried about your child that you can't get to sleep. Keep going over and over all the things you should've done, could've done, what might probably happen. Just can't get my brain/emotions to settle and its driving sleep from me. What do you all do to get to sleep?

T

TeDo

It is soooo hard to just shut the brain off sometimes. I'm sorry you had a long, rough night. Something that I only realized about a year ago that helps get me to shut it off is to.......no laughing now......very slowly THINK - sing the song "Hush little baby". I sing it slow enough that I have to concentrate on the words that come next. Believe it or not, it works. I have no idea where this came from or how it got started. I just know that for the last several months, whenever my mind won't stop, I do that and it works. I know, I'm weird but hey, you asked.

keista

My sympathies to you. I've never found a successfull solution. I've tried the deep breathing thing, but as soon as I start drifiting off to sleep, the breathing goes back to regular and all the stress seems to flood back to my consciousness and I'm wide awake again. :(

I watch brainless TV. Reruns that I know inside and out. Great old movies that I can recite. This way you have something else to occupy your mind, but it's not so stimulating as to keep you up if your body decides to let you sleep. And although you may not get to sleep, at least you are resting. Oh, it's far from a great solution, but it's my best one.

L

Liahona

I also watch stuff on netflix, but I've been trying to get to bed earlier. It isn't working. Last night not even movies helped. Next time I'll try the slow nursery songs.

InsaneCdn

When I'm wound up to start with... I really have to watch caffeine after lunch (yes, the impact lasts that long), and I make sure to get a good physical workout (treadmill, exercise bike, whatever your activity of choice is) about 2 hours before bedtime. Sometimes, I get a better sleep in the recliner than in bed - if I'm not sleeping, I switch locations.

lovelyboy

Jip....we had our second night in a run! What sometimes helps me is to be forgiving towards myself.....i realized in the past, when I try to talk to difficult child about the previous day...he will often say he doesnt even remember what its about! Because they dont always realize the impact their behaviour has on others they dont even give it a second thought! Stop feeling guilty....the impact might not have been so hard on him because of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) they sometimes dont even read half of the meaning we feel or hidden messages into it!
What does keep me awake sometimes is the worries of what else can I do? And the fear of what if this will get worse!?
Believe me.....I know exactly what you are going through tonight! Thats why I am chatting on the forum and not sleeping!

pasajes4

My best friend always tells me to let go and let God handle it. I am trying. After looking in the mirror I dug a picture up from 5 years ago, right before things had gotten so bad with my difficult child, I have aged 20 years in that time. Lack of sleep constant worry and all I have to show for it is my ugly mug. It sure did not make the situation with difficult child better. Due in part to the fact that he does not "get" how he effects others.

DammitJanet

I have finally found something that helps me get to sleep when I simply cant. Pogo. Now it cant be just any game on pogo...it has to be a slots game because then all Im doing is hitting the button. I dont have to think. Never fails I will find myself the next morning with the laptop on my stomach, my leg hanging off the bed, the mouse over to one side and an unlit cigarette in the ashtray. Oh....and some empty cookie wrappers...lmao.

L

Liahona

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to try them sometime. Tonight though I'm exhausted. Been up with Elsie since 4am. She is sick. Hopefully she'll let me sleep.