Pray for me... taking 2.5 difficult child's skiing/snowboarding tomorrow!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Our district has a furlough day tomorrow, so we're hitting the slopes. The kids have never done this before. The extent of their snow experience is sledding maybe once a year.

I haven't skiied in about 16 or 17 years -- I was never that great -- managed intermediate runs okay, but that's it. If I do it at all tomorrow, I'll be sticking to the bunny slopes this time around -- soooo out of shape, not going to push it.

The boys want to try snowboarding (of course) and easy child's not sure what she wants to do yet. The resort has a reasonable package that includes two lessons, the lift ticket and equipment rental.

We had rain twice since Friday, so there's a light dusting of snow on their 4-6 foot base. I expect it won't be very busy there at all since it's a weekday.

Wish us luck! I hope everybody behaves and has fun -- they've all been snippy lately, and there's nothing worse than snarky kids that don't appreciate a special outing.

Fran

Former desparate mom
gvc, my boys started skiing at an early age. Me, not so much. I was a few weeks shy of 40 but I wanted to give it a try.
Ski/snowboard lessons are a must for anyone who comes with us who hasn't done it. People think you get up to the top and just slide down. It's crazy.
difficult child wanted to snowboard. He isn't a little guy but he stuck to it. Lots of falling on his butt. Both my boys are pretty good.

I was, 2 yrs ago an intermediate blue skier and don't have any aspirations of going any further but I'm happy. We are taking the young nephews in a few weeks for their first attempt. Ski school for them and a refresher course for me. I'm excited.

Hope your kids enjoy it as much as we did. It's a great way for teens to burn off steam, be somewhat daring and wild and have fun.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH HOW EXCITING!!!!!! First you'll shoot down the hill.......then you'll scream "GET OUT OF THE WAY" then you'll go bum over tea kettle shouting "OH Star..I really hate when you are correct." and land in one of those positions only seen in a KamaSutra book, :redface: then some BIG,TALL, BURLEY, rescue guy will come dig you out of the snow (face first you are) and put you on a St. Bernard pulled sled and haul you back to the edge of the Bunny Hill where they will put you in a waiting ambulance and cart you off to General Hospital to an awaiting Raoul who will kiss, kiss, kiss all your boo-boos and comfort you, wait on you hand and foot, bring you hot-chocolate with Baileys, cut up your meat, massage your feet.....and rain flower petals down on you while he slowly plays Classical guitar in the corner.....

and YOU thought I would make it ALL bad....pft. hahah.....OH and the kids? Yeah - well they all turn out to be spotted by Olympic hopeful coaches, get scholarships to college, finish top of their class, go on to the 2016 Winter Games and get hooked up with mega-million sports deals.

The End.
(no chickens were harmed in the making of this dream)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Fran, TM, they LOVED the snowboarding!

Star, I sat and yapped with two other parents from our town who were up there with their kids today. It was chaotic getting everyone signed up for their lesson and equipment and then directed where to go next -- so it was good I just hovered to make sure they knew what to do. Next time, I think I'll probably be able to join in since they'll know the drill. But the dream sequence you painted WAS lovely! :D

easy child started to dig in her heels saying she didn't want to do anything when we first pulled in the parking lot. That's because all she could see were some black diamond runs -- I think it freaked her out a little. I assured her that she would NOT be going anywhere near slopes like that, and that it would mostly be flat for her. So she gave in, but then when she found out that because of her age she'd have to stay with her kids academy group ALL day, she started to pout. But THEN, there were two or three girls her age who joined the class, and she relaxed and eventually had a great time. This kid is SO predictable with her anxiety.

The boys did well in their class -- except for one time when difficult child 2 wandered off and tried to go off a jump in the middle of class. Sorta got yelled at by the instructor, which then put him off a bit. Whatever. It's nice to have OTHER people be in charge of your kids once in a while. At the end of the class, I think the instructor finally realized difficult child 2 had some "issues" and he was trying to be extra patient with him. He said both boys were actually at more of an intermediate level and did very well for the first day. That's what happens when you're young and in good shape!

Everyone is exhausted. Including me. Who knew standing around in the cold and talking all day could be such a workout! :tongue:

But one thing is for certain, I REALLY want to be able to keep up with them the next time we go, so I've got some work to do. Time to start walking my hills again...

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! I can see you slosshing and swooshing by next year.....What's that other word? Slolem? (sp) WHERE IS THAT SPELLING DOO DAD I REQUESTED? hrumph. lol.