Protecting info from getting online

klmno

I was reading a magazine yesterday while difficult child was in with his therapist and came across a suggestion. Since it isn't uncommon anymore for people to post stuff online about others, including the online bullying comments that kids post about each other sometimes, the suggestion was to create a google alert for your own name (or name of your kids) so that you are made aware as soon as someone posts something. Then, you can check and see if it's negative or just info you don't want online. It said if that happened, you could then contact the site where it was posted and have the comment/info removed, or call police.

klmno

Well, I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to do it, HA! I see how to create a News alert on google, but if anyone knows how to do an alert that covers everything on the web, please post it for me.

I did a search on my own name and found EVERY post that I'd submitted ona forum where I used my own name. It's an alumni site that no one would go to if they weren't looking for alumni, but if they did a search for my name, they find a lot. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

trinityroyal

It's true. I used to post on a forum relating to my work. If you google my name all of those posts come up, including professional credentials, my e-mail address and company affiliation at the time, and the like.

Fortunately it was all work-related and professional, but golly! Everything you post on the internet really can stick around for a long time.

I will ask husband if he knows how to set up a Google Alert. He knows how to use most of the stuff out of Google Labs so chances are good.

If I can get instructions out of him, I will post them.

Trinity