Question about SpEd file

flutterby

Fly away!
Am I allowed to get copies of information that I may want that are in my daughter's SpEd file at the school? I don't think I need the entire copy filed, but maybe. Can I do that, too?

smallworld

In the interest of timeliness, you may need to offer to copy it yourself at the school if the file is extensive, but you are entitled to every piece of paper in your daughter's file.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would go in and ask for it and copy it right then and there. If they have notice then you own't know if they have taken anything out or added anything. I know of cases where things were added, removed or both. In some cases I know of teachers and administrators who wrote documents and backdated them and added them to cover things up. I know because I am a teacher's kid and blended well into the background as a kid. Not my parents doing it, but argueing against it or whie meeting one of them at the bar/restaurant after work on a friday and hearing other teachers talk/brag about fixing things or sticking it to that little so and so. I also spent a LOT of time in schools a s a kid running around on weekends and after school when many people didn't know I was there. When schools are quiet with no students the ventilation system carries a lot of voices a long way.

It does NOT happen in every school and I believe that most people in schools would be horrified at even the thought, much less the action. But there are bad seeds. I have also heard my father in law and stepMIL talk about times when they had to deal with teachers who did that kind of thing, or got students working as aides in the office to "help" them. So I know it happens in a lot of schools. Computer documents make it harder in some ways to hide this, but paper documents will always have some vulnerability.

That is why I generally do my best to wait for the documents then, offering to copy it myself to save them time and effort. If that isn't allowed I at least read through it and make a list of all the documents (discipline report dated MM-daughter-YYYY for talking back, IEP dated MM-daughter-YYY, X pages long. Note about mom calling about bullying episode etc...) That way I can look at what they give me and ask why this isn't here and why that is. I haven't needed it yet, and I try my best to be discreet about taking the notes so I don't seem to openly say I don't trust them. I just would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I am NOT NOT NOT trying to say that all schools have dishonest employees, or all school employees are dishonest, or anything of the kind. I truly am not because i do not believe that. i believe most are honest and have excellent intentions. I just don't feel I can take chances with my kids' rights esp if we have a less than cooperative working relationship iwth the school. I am probably a bit more jaded than many after having had the teacher alter Wiz iep in 6th gr and forge my signature and initials.

I hope you get the file with no surprises and no problems. I also hope they start providing what she needs and stop messing around.

susiestar

Roll With It
You don't just want her sp ed file. You want her entire file. Our sp ed teachers have files in their rooms or offices where they keep the files to show compliance with various regs. The office has another file with discipline stuff, etc... Be sure to ask for all files, whether in main office, sp ed office, or teacher's room/office. I just noticed that.

flutterby

Fly away!
I did go in and request to view it on Thursday, and was told I had to make an appointment so that someone could sit with me for confidentiality purposes. Whatever.

In any case, I found out today that the "reports" that the SpEd director claimed she had, aren't really reports at all, but just notes she had taken during IEP meetings and "recollections" of conversations during said meetings. And, of course, denial that she said there were "reports". I think she should run for office. She has the politician double speak going for her.

whatamess

It is very common for school officials and teachers to take their own 'personal' notes about children and the unspoken rule is that if they are not shared with colleagues then they are the property of the note-taker. Often people use these notes as their own reference if they are called to due process. It stinks. I attend weekly meetings with my difficult child's teacher and two other school personnel who take copious notes that I will never see.

flutterby

Fly away!
If they don't make it part of the file, then they can't claim it as a basis for determining placement, services, or anything else. So, they can take all the notes they want.

I wanted to see the file because the SpEd Director was referring to "reports" that I knew didn't exist (she later insisted she didn't say "reports", but she did and more than once). When I spoke to her yesterday she told me it was from her notes and "recollections" of conversations. When she told me of the conversation she was recalling, I informed her of the rest of the conversation that had taken place, thus she had taken what she remembered out of context.

Sorry, but you can't make placement decisions based on "recollections" of conversations.

I sincerely doubt at this point that I'll go to due process. I have serious battle fatigue. If we can't resolve this, I'll file a complaint with the state and pull difficult child out and homeschool. She's in the 10th grade. It's just not worth it anymore. As it is, this entire school year to date has been a bust.