Question of the day...

Pink Elephant

SomeWhereOutThere, got me thinking about this one thanks to her Guilty Pleasures post! Thank you, SWOT! :)

- Did you babysit when they were younger?

- Remember how much you got paid (per hour)?

- Did you babysit during the day or evening (or both)?

- Remember how cribs used to have the railing that lowered?

- What kind of diapers did you have to change when you babysat? Cloth or disposable (or both)?

- Did you spank?

- How old were you when you started babysitting?

- How old were you when you quit babysitting?

- What sorts of things did you buy with your babysitting money?

Pink Elephant

LOL! Silly me, I forgot to answer my own questions!

- Did you babysit when they were younger? Yes, lots!

- Remember how much you got paid (per hour)? Sure do, .25 to .50 cents per hour, no matter how many kids I was sitting!

- Did you babysit during the day or evening (or both)? Both, though I did a LOT of evening babysitting.

- Remember how cribs used to have the railing that lowered? You bet! Used old-fashioned drop-down railing cribs with my own children!

- What kind of diapers did you have to change when you babysat? Cloth or disposable (or both)? Both, though I remember changing cloth diapers with rubber pants the most.

- Did you spank? Yuppers!

- How old were you when you started babysitting? Eleven, though I helped care for baby siblings long before that.

- How old were you when you quit babysitting? In my twenties, though I still babysat nieces and nephews, even after having kids of my own.

- What sorts of things did you buy with your babysitting money? Movies, drive-ins, clothing, cigarettes.

AppleCori

I babysat some when I was a teen, but I preferred throwing newspapers and mowing lawns (started at about age 12).

I never got to spend the money because I would try to save it by hiding it in my room and my step-brothers would always find it and take it. I finally got a bank account and saved for my first car at 16.

I never spanked my kids or anyone else's.

Always used disposable diapers.

I have babysat friend's kids occasionally through the years, and hope to have some grandkids to babysit occasionally, some day.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Yes

Depended upon if it was family or not $1.75 for family and $2.50 before midnight and $3.50

Mostly evening. I remember being driven home by a lot of drunk people. Some day and weekends also

And the capacity for a head to get stuck in the rails.

- What kind of diapers did you have to changewhen you babysat? Cloth or disposable (or both)?

Both

- Did you spank?
Never but the parents sure did

14 got a part time Job at McDonlads.

Absolute crap. Junk food, cloths, Tiger Beat magazines, my first LP Rod Stewart. Movies and a 10 speed bike!

Pink Elephant

Littleboylost. You are right about little ones occasionally getting their heads caught between the bars! Loved using the old vinyl bumper pads in the crib for that one reason!

Pink Elephant

I babysat some when I was a teen, but I preferred throwing newspapers and mowing lawns (started at about age 12).

I never got to spend the money because I would try to save it by hiding it in my room and my step-brothers would always find it and take it. I finally got a bank account and saved for my first car at 16.

I never spanked my kids or anyone else's.

Always used disposable diapers.

I have babysat friend's kids occasionally through the years, and hope to have some grandkids to babysit occasionally, some day.
Saving for your first car using babysitting money is so awesome! Good on you!

Pink Elephant

Yes

Depended upon if it was family or not $1.75 for family and $2.50 before midnight and $3.50

Mostly evening. I remember being driven home by a lot of drunk people. Some day and weekends also

And the capacity for a head to get stuck in the rails.

- What kind of diapers did you have to changewhen you babysat? Cloth or disposable (or both)?

Both

- Did you spank?
Never but the parents sure did

14 got a part time Job at McDonlads.

Absolute crap. Junk food, cloths, Tiger Beat magazines, my first LP Rod Stewart. Movies and a 10 speed bike!
Drunk driving was so prevalent back in the day. So happy those days are over.

Lil

I never babysat. Well, I guess I did ONE time for a toddler for a few hours and I was so freaked out that I called my mom. I was about 17.

My son was the first baby I EVER had to take care of! The nurse at the hospital had to teach me how to change him. I was 31.

BusynMember

I didnt babysit, but can address drunk driving today. The days are not over. I work at a restaurant with mostly millenials. Cant count how many have gotten DUIs. Two have been to jail and had to drive back to jail after work. One young girl had the police looking for her at work. She stole a bottle of liquor and I heard she is now in jail too, although for stealing, not for drunk driving.

Wisconsin is pathetically soft on drunk driving. Drinking is a way
of life here. It isnt just kids.

I can check in on diapers and spanking for my own kids, with my first kid forty years ago. Paper diapers. I do not spank my own or other kids. I was yelled at and called humiliating names by my mother, but not spanked as a child and tried very hard not to yell at my kids nor namecall.When one of my very prosperous sons, Goneboy, started babysitting at 12 he demanded $5.00 an hour on Saturday nights and often got more. He was very mature and the kids loved him. He was in great demand.He saved his money starting very young. He is now a millionaire with his own company.

I think when I was a teen friends who did babysit got a quarter or so an hour. Times change.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

LOL, Lil, about calling your mom!

I once was babysitting for a large family and one of the younger ones was acting up really bad, so I made a few threats to call my mom, and after he ignored my warnings, I actually followed through with my call to my mom explaining the situation (we lived right across the alley from where I was babysitting), and my mom stomped over and once at the house, she promptly gave the unruly child a good old-fashioned proper spanking, then told him, act up again and I hear about it, I'll be over to give you another spanking twice as bad.

I was younger and new to babysitting at the time, so wasn't comfortable with giving a spanking, but had the same thing happened when I was in my later teen years, I would have administered the spanking myself.

Pink Elephant

I didnt babysit, but can address drunk driving today. The days are not over. I work at a restaurant with mostly millenials. Cant count how many have gotten DUIs. Two have been to jail and had to drive back to jail after work. One young girl had the police looking for her at work. She stole a bottle of liquor and I heard she is now in jail too, althoigh for stealing, not for drunk driving.

Wisconsin is pathetically soft on drunk driving. Drinking is a way
of life here. It isnt just kids.
Wow, that's all I can say. And here I thought stern laws existed everywhere Re:.

BusynMember

No, in Wisconsin people still have their licenses after multiple DUIs. Liquor is huge business in Wisconsin.

Old Hand, you spank another parents child now and you will be in trouble. But I am shocked your mom spanked someone elses child even back in the day. I never allowed anyone to touch my kids. Where did you live? I never heard of people spanking other peoples kids. I grew up in Chicago area.

Pink Elephant

SomeWhereOutThere. Spanking way back when was so acceptable, and I even remember a few mothers giving me 100% permission to give a spank their children if they needed it.

The spanking my mom did on that child would have happened around the early to mid 70's.

We're in Canada and reside in a smaller community, but when my kids were little, I had one babysitter I gave permission to, to spank my kids if they needed it, and she followed through a few times. I was okay with it. I think my middle son was the only one that was ever spanked by her, and he was in diapers at the time, so I imagine the babysitter would have just spanked him through his big fat diapers.

In our family we all took turns babysitting for one another, and all of us spanked in our homes (our own kids), and it was accepted among all of us moms that spanking was par for the course when we were babysitting each others kids. If someone needed a spanking, they got one.

BusynMember

Interesting, Old Hand. Thank you for sharing. The only spanking I heard about in the 70s was kids eho were in Catholic schools. I heard stories about some very feisty nuns welding some very quick weapons (rulers)...lol.

Pink Elephant

Interesting, Old Hand. Thank you for sharing. The only spanking I heard about in the 70s was kids eho were in Catholic schools. I heard stories about some very feisty nuns welding some very quick weapons (rulers)...lol.
Yes, I, too, have read and heard about the spankings that took place in Catholic Schools. Beatings, more exactly.