site slow to load

Sunlight

anyone else having this trouble? I have been to other sites, no problem. this site takes so long to load I cannot respond to too many people as it takes forever. sometimes I have to reload it a few times! do we need to weed it down a bit? how about our own personal PMs? I know I have a lot in there and am deleting several to make more room..lol

Lothlorien

I'm not having a problem. Occasionaly if the server is quite busy, the site will be slow. Try restarting your computer. If it continues after that, maybe defragmenting your computer and deleting all the extra temporary files on your easy child may help

Steely

I have been having the same problem Janet. And I have DSL, so it does not make sense, but it does seem like the last 2 weeks it has gotten worse. Hmmmmm...............

meowbunny

Mine's off and on, especially in the past few weeks. Doesn't matter what time of day or night, just is slow sometimes and other times not. When slow, I just go elsewhere and come back in about 30 minutes and usually is okay. If not, I assume there is a site problem and check back in a few hours.

Sunlight

I have DSL, clean out my temp files and cookies once a week or more, and did a defrag. still slow. wish it were faster as I truly like to read and respond more to posts, but only have limited time...like we all do..lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well.... I'm glad it's not just me. :whew:

I've been having trouble with the site taking an awful long time to load for quite awhile. And I have DSL for pete's sake. Now here's a weird trick I've found helps sometimes.... I go off to another site, then come back in. Don't know why it would have any affect, but it does seem to help.

husband taught me how to go up to My Tools on the screen and empty cookies and such. Sometimes it helps, but not always.

That's why there is alot of time I don't answer much. It takes forever for posts to load, and even longer for the replies to go thru.

F

flutterbee

I have that problem, too, but I have just assumed it's because I use Firefox. If the page is slow to load, I just click on the Stop button and then Refresh. Sometimes I have to do that a few times. Occasionally, I'll close the browser and start over and that seems to help. There have been a couple of times that it wouldn't load at all and I had to wait a bit then come back. It's only with this site, though. I don't have that problem with any other sites.

Steely

Is this something a moderator can adjust within this site's programming? I hate to just complain if there is something we can do to solve the problem. I wonder, if at times, the site is getting too many hits, and that is why it is slow only sometimes. I think there is something you can do about that, by re-structuring the internal site to handle more volume, but I just don't know what it is. What can be done?

Nancy

I'm not having any problem with this site, however my dsl seems to be running very slow and some sites take forever to load. I think it's my dsl provider.

Nancy

R

runawaybunny

I appreciate that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention. It's very important that the site load quickly so this kind of information is helpful. Sometimes delays are caused by the computers relaying the site in the path from our server in Atlanta to your local isp and then to your computer. That kind of delay is out of our control. Sometimes delays are something to do with our site configuration, software or server, that we can usually improve.

I'm in Southern California and use cable internet and this site usually loads fine for me. Since there are so many of you experiencing delays I'm going to assume that the site could use a little tweaking and make a couple of changes to the forum configuration.

If this continues to be an issue please don't hesitate to let me know by either posting in this thread or by private message.

Thank you for your help.

Cheryl

F

flutterbee

Cheryl -

Either you've already made those changes or the server heard us talking :wink: because I just logged on and this site has never loaded so fast! Zip, zip, zip right through!

Of course, now the board jinx will take over and make me a liar. :rofl:

wakeupcall

Guess what? Me, too! BUT, my computer has been slooooow for about two weeks. I also have cable dsl, so it shouldn't be that way. I was beginning to wonder if the heat had something to do with it. My husband blames me for everything, so guess it's MY fault the computers are so slow and often won't connect at all. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with this site. I think there's something else going on......in my opinion.

Misery loves company.....and a computer not working is misery!

DammitJanet

Well I wouldnt know if something was slow or not considering I am still on DIAL UP!!!

Down here in the boonies they still havent managed to drag the cable or dsl lines out to my part of the deep south...lol.

donna723

I'm still on dial-up too. It's sometimes slow but my only alternative right now is to get it on the satellite, which costs a fortune! I'll just have to put up with it being slow. I'm not in that much of a hurry anyway!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
At work we have a T1 line and at home I have a cable hook up. It is slower at work, but I thought we were having server trouble until I noticed it was only CD. Hmmm. At home it's fine.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

You can also get DSL via satellite dish, which is what mine is. I stopped with cable completely when we kept losing it all of the time. :rolleyes: My tv and internet is now thru satellite. No where near the problems we were having with cable around here.

But if you want to do satellite make sure to do it while the trees around you still have all their leaves. Easiest way to get the proper allignment of the dish. easy child didn't listen to me and got hers installed in dec. In the spring she couldn't get a decent signal for the life of her. (her dish was blocked by trees full of leaves) So had to have them come back out in the late spring to redo it for her.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm cable and haven't had any problems. It is most likely either the server you are connecting to, or just a busy day on the net. :smile:

If your computer is just plain slow everywhere...that's another story.