So frustrated....anemia resistant to treatment

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I was diagnosis'd with pernicious anemia back in February. I've had weekly B12 injections since that day.

I rec'd a call from my doctor yesterday - not only has my B12 level not improved, it's gone down. My doctor is frustrated, I'm frustrated. My doctor is searching for further answers.

In the meantime, I'm to start twice weekly injections here at home.

I'm so tired of being tired; of the crushing fatigue that causes me to get done only what needs to be done versus what I'd like to accomplish.

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of anemia that is so resistant to treatment?

crazymama30

I have heard of many who have it, but never anyone who was so resistant to treatment.

The fatigue is awful.

Have you done any research to find out if there is anything you can do to help your body absorb B12 better and more efficiently?

That must be very hard to deal with.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ask your doctor about doing a bone marrow tap to get to the root of the problem. It's not a pleasant test, but over quickly. Since blood is made in the bone marrow, the tap will give a view of the manufacturing process that can't be gotten on peripheral blood draws.

F

flutterbee

Linda,

This really sucks. I don't know anything about the anemia, so I can't help that way, but I do know about the crushing fatigue. I lived with it daily til I had my arteries opened a few weeks ago. I was told I had chronic fatigue syndrome (turned out to be heart disease) and would just have to learn how to deal with it and I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.

I hope you and your doctor are able to find some answers soon. The fatigue makes it so hard to function and wears on your spirit.

This may not relate at all, but it's worth a shot. When I was pregnant with easy child, I was anemic and my body wasn't absorbing the iron. My doctor told me to take it with vitamin c, as vitamin c helps the body absorb iron. It worked. As you're taking B12 it's probably completely different, but I know that sometimes we get to a point where we're willing to entertain just about anything.