So the phone rings....UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by mrscatinthehat, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. mrscatinthehat

    mrscatinthehat Seussical

    and I looked at the caller id. It was gfg2s Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

    Oh why did I answer it. :hammer: I know because I am a glutton for punishment. :hammer:

    difficult child 2 got his hair cut tonight. (OK the only good thing all night) When he got back he refused his night time medications. :grrr: We haven't heard about that in a while.

    Next he was in his room with his toothbrush that he made into a point on the end (like a shiv). :smile: :rolleyes: He kept threatening the staff. Then they discovered he had a razor blade(again!!!!!!!!!). He broke it up and when staff went for it he swallowed the pieces. Alas this is not the first swallowing incident. This is not the first contraband. :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

    They said in their letter that they have taken this time to get to know him why don't they know he will do these things. :hammer: :hammer:

    Then this woman asks if I want a call tonight when they get back from the hospital or in the morning. :rolleyes: Good grief call me tonight please because sleep isn't happening again. I try to tell myself he is in a safe place but these days I feel like I am lying to myself.

    Called husband to let him know and he told me he had been thinking he was having a good day. I told him to stop thinking that. :rolleyes:

  2. neednewtechnique

    neednewtechnique New Member

    Swallowed pieces of a razor blade? Definitely NOT waiting until morning for a phone call!! I can't beleive they even had to ASK!!!
  3. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Wow! He sounds totally out-of-control and a danger to himself and others.

    Hope that they call soon with an A-Okay. Worrisome, but at least they were able to intervene in a crisis.
  4. timer lady

    timer lady Queen of Hearts

    Ahh, Beth. How devastating that difficult child is so out of control. I hope the hospital that treats your difficult child will call you & give you the scoop on his treatment.

    I'd also hope that difficult child would be hospitalized for stabilization before returning to Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Or is that too hopeful?

    Beth, I hope you are able to rest a little tonight. Keep us updated.

  5. flutterbee

    flutterbee Guest


    I'm so sorry this happened. I'm with Linda...I hope they hospitalize him to get him stabilized.

  6. mrscatinthehat

    mrscatinthehat Seussical

    Well not one but two hospitals later husband and I are getting ready to go to bed.

    Got the call from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) staff that endoscopic surgery was needed. The staff also said psychiatric nurse wasn't going to evaluation him. :smile: :hammer: And that they planned to discharge him back to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) right after surgery.

    I immediately got on the phone to the hospital knowing that geting there would take 45 minutes. I got bopped around to its not our responsibility for a bit. Then the nurse from surgery got on with me and I said why is it if he is trying to kill himself and harm others is he not being evaluated. Anyone else would have a minimum 72 hour hold to monitor them. She said she would call her nursing supervisor and find out what was going on. I told her to call on cell as we would be on our way.

    We get there and the DR greets me with so will you be going with him to University Hospital. My first thought is what went wrong with surgery and why didn't they call. Then I see difficult child 2 in a recovery bed so then I am really confused. Dr then explains that the ward is full in this hospital but that he called and he can be evalled at the other. Ok sure its 2 in the morning we can go another hour farther from home for our wonderful gem of a child. :hammer: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

    We get to this hospital and somehow even though we left first the ambulance beat us there. We did some back ground with difficult child and he talked to the dr in their er without us (he kept trying to get rid of us :rolleyes:) Then he was taken up to the unit there and we did the intake and gave more info. (Yet again he is trying to get rid of us.)

    The person that did our intake here was super. She asked what we hoped would happen with his stay with them. I said I would like a total re evaluation of where he is etc. I told her my suspicions and she said that from what she already saw that I sounded like I might be right. :faint: :faint: :bravo: Someone that listened.

    She then gave us the paper that said what his team is made up of. Holy CATS Child psychiatric, Social Worker, Psychologist, like four different therapy specialties, an aid to keep his school work up and US. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :dance:

    This is one of those times things might turn out to be a blessing in disgise.

    I even called to get our DHS offices permission to sign the paperwork (as we both have decision making powers I didn't want to mess things up). The on call person got her wake up at 5 in the morning and had no problem with it.

    Well husband is already snoring and I am about to join him. I hope they wait a bit before the psychiatrist calls. But if they don't at least I know they will be getting on the ball with things.

    :warrior: :warrior: :warrior: :warrior:

  7. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    :frown: OH WOW..........what a night! I am SO glad that you were able to have him evaluated though. Very good.

    Please keep us posted on his progress, and I am SO sorry that you are going through all of this.
  8. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    :smile: Is he ok? What type of recovery is he headed for? Is he in pain?

    Good to know you will get the evaluation and help you feel more comfortable.