social security questions

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Farmwife, Jan 10, 2010.

  1. Farmwife

    Farmwife Member

    I don't like assistance in general but am concerned it may become a need at some point. Was hoping for some of your experiences and insights.

    difficult child is on the cusp of a bi polar diagnosis. We have been flirting with the idea with a "wait and see" mood disorder diagnosis. I have my doubts about if/when he may outgrow his difficult stage. There are some learning disabilities, nothing major just enough to keep him from thriving in school but not bad enough for Special Education. He is an intelligent kid, high functioning but otherwise he is a disaster, lacks logic and impulse control. He doesn't socilaize, needs hygiene cues etc. etc.

    I can see that real adult responsibilities are going to be a long term issue. I know he is young but he is emotionally immature and just not prepared to deal with being on his own or working a "normal" job in the time frame most young adults are.

    I don't know if he qualifies for ssi as he is. My biggest worry is his adult life and ability to care for himself. I know social security is structured in two ways kids and workers who paid in get a livable stipend SSD(?), then workers who have not payed enough in get a much smaller amount SSI (?)
    (please pardon my crude understanding)

    IF I sign difficult child up now it is assumed he is disabled and his check will be a livable amount as he becomes a semi independant adult.

    IF I wait to see and he bounces from one brief job to another (typical bi polar behavior) he will possibly not get stable or established enough to pay in enough to get SSD vs. SSI. Sadly, due to the nature of his particular issues he may shoot himself in the foot if he tries to get started and falls short.

    It's almost as if he is better off being classified as disabled now so he can be considered disabled already as an adult. I'm worried that a shoddy work history before becoming recorded as fully disabled as an adult will change his worker status and therefore long term social security income. (decrease)

    I'm almost 100% certain he won't make it as an adult without help. I want to support and encourage him to try but it may complicate things for him down the line.

    I'm just worried about his future and how he will survive after I can no longer be there for him.

  2. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Social Security Disability is a complex situation. The only way your son would qualify for SSDI with the larger amount of money is if he is considered disabled before the age of 22 and at least one of his parents is receiving SSDI. Now he can receive SSI before the age of 22 and if one of his parents starts receiving SSDI at some point there after, he will change to SSDI. The payment amount may or may not be a whole lot more though.

    This situation arose in my family. My son was receiving SSI from an early age. I ended up on SSDI in 2007 but it was back dated to 2003. That made my son eligible for SSDI as a child who was eligible as disabled before the age of 22 who has a parent on SSDI. He ended up getting both SSDI and SSI because his SSDI wasnt enough to knock him off SSI. Obviously not a whole lot of money but then again, I dont get a whole lot of money. I barely get more than the SSI amount myself. I think I get around 100 dollars more a month for which I am thankful, dont get me wrong.

    Disability is a complex thing and you really need to talk to Social Security about this whole mess.