Something is wrong with my back. Not sure what is up

DammitJanet

My back has been giving me more and more trouble the past couple of months...maybe last two really badly but it has gotten to the point in the last two weeks that I cant even stand up at the sink or stove for even 2 or 3 minutes attempting to wash dishes or cook before I am in excruciating pain and bending over grasping the counter and trying to just rush to wash a couple of plates or something and then waddle to the sofa and sit down. I can hardly do anything.

I got up this morning to find that even walking out to get some drink was awful. It felt like something was just twisting a burning knife in my back. It didnt even take me attempting to cook to hurt...just opening the fridge and pour my soda hurt. I grabbed the soda bottle and brought it in the room with me, took my morning pain medications and put the heating pad on it and laid back down. I told Billy he is going to have to do the kitchen and do the meals until I can figure out what is going on...I simply cant.

Now I dont feel too bad if I am laying down or even sitting propped up in bed. Even sitting up for a little while in bed isnt too awful but putting any weight on my legs is bad. I do have to get up to use the bathroom every so often but it hurts.

I am not sure who I need to call to get an xray or a CT scan but Im gonna call my pain doctor tomorrow and ask them. I think I need one or the other to see if I have slipped a disc or pinched a nerve or even if I have fractured something in there.

I dont want to just increase pain medications because that isnt going to help. I dont think we could medicate this away. I would have to be so stoned I wouldnt be able to stand anyway...lol.

pepperidge

As someone who is suffering small time with back issues I sympathisize. My mom has spinal stenosis and can't stand for more than a few minutes--not sure how it was diagnosis'ed. Good luck, i have more appreciation of just how awful it can be.

T

TeDo

My mom developed bulging discs that were pushing on a nerve. She had to have an MRI to diagnose it. Her general practitioner ordered the test.

Sorry you are hurting. Have you ever had back problems before? I have developed arthritis in my back recently from an accident years ago. Damp weather makes mine flare up.

L

Liahona

I hope the doctors are able to find what is wrong and get you back on the road to recovery soon.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Does not sound fun at all. Back pain is horrid. And no, doesn't sound like this will necessarily be medicated away, besides, it's a good idea to know the cause anyway.

Hmm not sure which doctor would be your best bet. But if pain doctor can't help he ought to be able to tell you who can.

H

HaoZi

Is it more muscle pain or does it feel like nerve pain? If your insurance covers chiropractic care that might be a way to start finding out what's wrong.

DammitJanet

I have degenerative joint disease in every other large joint and was told I had spondylitis in my back about 4 years ago but all that means is arthritis of the back...so yeah...I dont doubt I have that. My main issue is this is getting worse faster than I think is normal for me. And I cant live with it. The way this thing is happening, I dont think I will stay out of a chair long at all. And I dont want to go into one full time.

InsaneCdn

Janet - don't jump to conclusions.
First, try the stuff that has no downside... like a really good podiatrist.

Never had a real foot work-over?
It works... miracles, sometimes - especially if the problem is a knotted muscle or a pinched nerve.
The downside... it either works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you're out a few $$. NO other side-effects.

If that fails, you're left choosing between chiro and medical...

LittleDudesMom

Insane has a good point talking about a podiatrist - the proper shoes can make all the difference - especially with those of us that carry extra weight. The right shoe, with the right support, can truly make a difference with our feet, knees, hips and back.

I hope what you are experiencing is not a degenerative issue.

Sharon

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
You sound like I did when I had a bulging disc and few years ago. That disc flares up occasionally, but most often can be relieved with chiro care. I swear by it and highly recommend it - just to see. And ice is usually the recommended initial treatment.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Jody

Janet,
Scholls has a great insert that has really helped me. I have arthritis in my back also and I know it's not fun at all. I am able to go to work and I can get around fine, but standing to do dishes and cook is unbearable. I do much better when I am walking and not standing. I use my kitchen chair to cook and I also use it to do the dishes. The job gets done. I gather all of my things that I need to the kitchen table, prepare it and then cook it sitting down. Anyway back to the Scholl's, it is made for people with knee and back arthritis. It cost about 10.00. I cannot believe the difference that it has made in me when I walk. Also and this is certainly not a cure for arthritis, but it will help with the achiness of fibromyalgia and arthritis. Limit soda to one can or two a day. Something with the high level of high fructose corn syrup. I drank a two liter everyday, regular soda, because the artificial sweeteners really hurt me even more. I noticed a big change in my pain, a week after I stopped drinking it. My Rheumatologists suggested it might work, and it did.
I still drink a soda here and there but I switched to tea. I had to larn to drink it without sweeteners or sugar. Yuck, but I have gotten a little used to it. Dr. Weil has an anti inflammatory diet, not really a diet, but it tells you what foods to eat to help with inflammation. I have been incorporating those into my diet everyday, and it is really helping me.

Is it as hard to walk as it is to stand? I feel so bad for you, back pain is terrible. Doesn't sound like these suggestions would help you with what's going on now, but maybe they would help you on a daily basis. Hang in there and let us know what you find out!!!!!

How about an orthapedic dr? They can look at an MRI or x-ray and know what's wrong. I'm thinking you don't need a long waiting time for an appointment, anytime we dealt with broken bones we were in the next day. They may even say to come right over because of your pain level.

In the meantime don't do one thing that's going to cause you pain. Don't do the dishes. Keep the soda nearby, or have Billy help you. If he's there, let him wait on you for now.

BusynMember

I thought maybe I could help...I have osteoporosis...and do get back pain. If this were me, I'd probably go have it checked out to see what is going on. Why suffer if maybe there is something they can do with PT or something else?

I hope you feel better soon.

DammitJanet

Let me answer questions or suggestions as they came in...lol. Have been to the podiatrist several years ago but could probably use going back. He suggested some really good shoes and I do get the types he suggested most of the time. I have to have a shoe that supports the fact that I tend to walk over on my sides of my feet so I get good tennis shoes. Either sketchers or saucony. That last one may not be spelled right. I need the wide toe box and the good reinforced heel. To hell with fashion for most things...lol.

About the soda, I know some people say that makes a difference but I have never found it made any difference with me. I do drink diet and I tried going two months without it or maybe it was three, cant remember....and it made no difference. This problem is constant. My pain issues have been ongoing since my car accident in 97. The arthritis started in my knees in my 20s but the fibro started after the car accident. There have been times over the years where I have had some relief and I could walk okay but since approximately 2005, my ortho has had my on walking/standing restrictions of no more than 20 mins at a time.

I cannot do chiro because of my back...we tried it twice and the last time the chiro said they wouldnt touch me again. First one really hurt me after a car accident.

I do have an excellent orthopedic doctor but until I am ready for surgery I dont know that there is anything he can do for me. Though he may be the one who has to do the look see at me about this...I have to call someone to see if he is the one who has order the scans. Main issue here is that the only scans I will do is regular Xrays or CT scan. I refuse to do a MRI. Unless they completely sedate me using twilight sedation like versed. I wont go in with xanax or valium. Have tried it that way before and they dont make enough valium to get me in that machine...lol. I am seriously phobic.

Main problem I have is no one is going to help me. Tony is gone all day and Billy cant stick his nose out of his bedroom long enough when he is home to do anything except fix himself something to eat. He simply ignores anything in the kitchen. I guess he doesnt see all the koi on the counters and dishes that need to be done. I asked him last night to clean up and all we had last night was hot dogs and french fries but this morning I go out and my kitchen is in shambles. It certainly didnt get that way from hot dogs and french fries!

Im calling the doctor to see who I need to call. Hoping it wont be too long. I cant go anywhere today because the cable guy is coming.

InsaneCdn

Note to Billy -
There's lots of people in this world that actually have to do some work around the place because their Mom has a health problem.
I lived that way until I left home... In my case, Mom was able to cook and do laundry from her wheelchair - and nothing else.
From the time I turned 16... I did ALL the cleaning, plus ALL the grocery shopping - bought it, and put it all away.
If your Mom could she would. She can't.
SO ITS YOUR TURN.
Run a vacuum. Wash the dishes. Do laundry.
<smile> when you do it.
Because... your MOM will <smile> back!

From a former difficult child whose Mom had severe RA.

(Janet - you're allowed to PRINT this and give it to Billy)

LittleDudesMom

Janet,

you know I love you, but you need to have Billy step up to the plate here. There is no reason why he can't spend 30 minutes each day picking up around the place. The cleaning up after himself should be a given. I think you need to put your foot down on this one. Living with the back pain is rough enough - living in a house where your grown son can't lift a finger to help out is ridiculous!

Now, I totally understand that there are a lot of folks who just "don't see mess" like others. But getting the dishes washed, dried (or in the dishwasher), put away and the counters wiped down and trash taken out are small things he can do in no time but HUGE for your pain management. If this is not something that he has ever done regularly, sit down in the kitchen with him and give him gentle direction for a week. That's what I did with difficult child when I was suffering with my pinched nerve (which is 80% better). He eventually caught on and I learned to not expect it my way but appreciate the help I got! Now, he has no excuse not to help out because he knows how :rollingpin:

Please Janet, appeal to Billy in the way you feel is best. I wish I were closer geographically to help out......

Sharon

H

HaoZi

Before you go for surgery, my stepmom has degenerative disc disease. She couldn't even lay down to sleep, she had to sleep in the recliner. Hardly went anywhere at all because the pain was so bad. Every person I know who has gone in for back surgery has come out worse. SM found a great acupuncturist that does in-home visits. Within six months she doing tai chi, taking her art classes, back to being a very active grandma.

I'm not sure how one finds a great acupuncturist like the wonderful lady she found, there's plenty that aren't that great at it, but it might be something to consider trying before you jump into surgery if they tell you that's your only/final option.

DammitJanet

I am insisting Billy step up to the plate or he can find somewhere else to live. I refuse to live in a house where two other people live and I am in pain and yet I am expected to get up and do work. No way. I told them they arent sure what is wrong with me but they dont want me up more than a few minutes at a time or I could seriously damage my back and lose my legs completely. They did tell me to stay down and increase my pain medications and they are trying to find me a quicker appointment time. If I get any worse to head to the ER. Of course, the first words out of Billys mouth tonite was, your up, you must be feeling better. No I was up getting drink and taking a piece of trash to the trashcan. I did put dishes in the sink and tell him he had a choice, wash them tonite or do it tomorrow before he goes to work tomorrow. Then figure out what is for dinner tomorrow night.