Sometimes, it's easy to forget...

tiredmommy

that Duckie is a difficult child. And then it's plainly apparent at other times. :rolleyes:

So Duckie had a choreography rehearsal this evening for the play she's in. She was placed with a group of kids "playing" in snow while a few adults are singing "Sleigh Ride". Both adults were blocked to "startle" the kids when they reached the line "At the fireplace while we watch the chestnuts pop."

Poor Duckie! She was one of the kids with her back to the adults and couldn't help but anticipate the startle at the word "pop". She was cringing and completely giving it away. Luckily, the choreographer took my advice and moved Duckie to a different position once I explained that it would not get any better by opening night than what she was seeing tonight. :winks:

Glad you were there to talk to the choreographer. I agree - I think lots of times when others see our difficult children acting so "typical" for their ages, it is so easy for them to forget that our difficult children sometimes need a few small accomodations (can't spell this am, lol...) made in order for them to do their best. This was definitely the case with difficult child 1 when he was in Little League.

Anyway, I know Duckie is going to be a star on opening night!!! SFR

tiredmommy

Thanks for the response SFR. I think she was a little embarrassed but I didn't want it to go on. It's really amazing how Duckie's comparatively minor sensory problems can caused her problems.

Hi TM,

Just Duckie's luck to be one of the startled kids. I think there's a lot of kids who wouldn't want to be "startled." Lots of adults too. I think I would be one of the cringing ones along with Duckie.

Gives me something to think about as an adult, like saying "Raise your hand if you want to be startled" if I was blocking this play.

Of course I'm not blocking any plays in the near future :~)

But I am "blocking" family life in this house.

Thanks for your post. Good you were there for Duckie.

Jo

tiredmommy

Thanks, Jo. I wouldn't like to be startled either.

I just got home from school with Duckie, she's been staying late on Wednesdays for Art Club. All the other kids had their pieces except Duckie and one other girl.... because they were chosen to represent the fall art club in the district art show next March. :thumbsup:

B

brendan

That is awesome! I know what you mean about our difficult children acting normal! There are times B is playing with easy child's friends (because he has no friends...:( ) and everyone is getting along. And I think, "Is this all in my head??? Is he really normal and I have exaggerated?" LOL