shellyd67

Hey Jules, I don't know if you remember me. We used to chat quite often but I have been absent for a while myself.

Also, not because things are great but I just haven't had the energy. My difficult child is 13 now and is a lot like your son.

We just finished another psychiatrist evaluation in July and then we saw a NeuroPharmacologist (sp?) anyhow, difficult child never did well on stimulants or medications such as straterra, etc.

We played and are still playing the medication-go-round. Interestingly enough, the Neuropharmacologist suggested we try difficult child on Wellbutrin. He said so much success in Canada. He explainied that Wellbutrin brings clarity and with clarity an ADHD kid will focus better and therefore everything else will fall into place. I of course did as much research as I could and like every other medication we have tried it a waiting game to see how things go.

I may be my imagination but he seems way more even keeled and cooperative.

I know how hard all this junk is and I feel for you.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Hi Shelly! Of course I remember you!! :)

How is the Wellbutrin working out? We had a really rough night tonight. I have contemplated taking him off Concerta so many times but then we miss one day and it's awful. It's just not great with it either.

Take care! It was nice seeing your post!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Simplify your life. Provide the most structured, most predictable, most routine environment you can come up with. Do NOT give him a string of choices. Most of the time NO choice, or yes/no choice, but with due consideration for where he is at. If he hates veggies, you don't make eating veggies a no-choice option (trust me, it doesn't work). But find a healthy breakfast he will eat and enjoy, and he can have that every single doggone morning. To make life easier, do the same for the rest of you (not the same breakfast as he has, necessarily, but the same thing every day)
Bedtime, and bedtime routines, and getting up in the morning, and meal times... predictable. If there are certain treats that happen weekly such as a special meal, make it the same meal on the same day, either every week or every month. Reduce the number of toys. Restrict or remove electronics (for everyone, if this is going to be done, or it doesn't work). Seriously reduce the number of "outings". It sounds brutal, but it's kind of like an elimination diet. Take everything out, then add things back one at a time... it helps in figuring out where the real problems are.

If he's anywhere close to on the spectrum, then he probably has sensory processing issues, which you won't see or understand but which generate HUGE overload, and often trigger problems.

IC - I love your post! We do most of these things anyway (same cereal every morning, very few outings, same routine in the mornings) - but he still fights getting ready for school, fights taking showers, fights going somewhere - even if it's somewhere he wants to go, hates school and doesn't want to go but can't tell me what specifically he hates, hates when it rains, hates when it's sunny, etc. Like someone in another post said he will get upset if I say for example his gma is going to be here around x time and then if she is later than that time he thinks I lied to him.

I also noticed he doesn't recognize people when we are watching a show. He will ask who someone is and I will tell him then on another scene he will ask me again or think it's someone totally different. I also asked him if a certain kid was in his class this year and he told me yes. Then I said I don't think so because he was in a different line and then he 'remembers' he actually isn't in his class. I remember last year him not being able to tell me who was in his class. Also there is a new PE teacher this year and he referred to the teacher as Mr So-n-so (from last year) and my 1st grader said no he is not at our school anymore now it's Mr. H. difficult child seemed very confused and he had just spent time in PE right before this conversation.

He doesn't like when I ask a lot of questions, he always answers I don't know, and he hates talking unless it's prompted by him. He hates bugs and doesn't like being outside much. He is super scared of bees - but likes being hit by paintballs or airsoft guns. Big things don't hurt him but small things do. He is not bothered by tags and dresses messy (underwear or shorts twisted band or sideways, shirts backwards, hard tying shoes, breaks pencil led, sits hard on chairs sometimes breaking them. Rode a bike on/before schedule. Can ride a unicycle. Played sports (although not a natural). Social problems. Bossy. Controlling. Doesn't usually share or consider others feelings. Selfish. Wont do things for himself. Makes little brother go get stuff for him. Demanding. Swears a lot!! Will not STOP when told to over and over.

OK I didn't mean to write a book - it just kept coming. I think it's time for some better evaluations (maybe Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)'s, Occupational Therapist (OT)/Sensory. A neuropych would be good but I have never been able to convince his pediatrician and that is all we are seeing right now.

I have been saying we need to simplify our surroundings and purge about 80% of the "stuff" we have. Too much clutter, too much stuff..... it's overwhelming even to me. difficult child always loved when we vacation because we stay in a condo that is very simple and has very few things. I like that too. We need to minimize.