The tools we give them ...

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I wanted to share this tidbit I got from my psychiatrist, who I saw this morning. She has also been Youngest's and Oldest's psychiatrist, at various times, and knows my whole dramatic life story.

I was talking about Oldest's latest spiral. I told her the latest episodes had really worn me out, and discouraged me.

She said, "You've got to accept that you have done everything possible to help Oldest. You raised her, took care of her physical health issues and her mental health issues as best you could, and you taught her and gave her the tools to take care of herself. The problem is, Oldest says 'I don't want THOSE tools! Give me the tools I WANT!' "

That cracked me up. She is SO right! difficult children to a "t" !!!! I just had to share it here.

I love that woman. Even in a 15 minute medication-check session, she can make me feel better.

susiestar

Roll With It
That is a very good take on the situation. Sadly, until they accept the tools we ahve given them they will continue to be unhappy. But we don't have to be!

Glad you have a great psychiatrist.

So true! What a great analogy.

(I tried to think up some kind of crack about the sharpest tools in the shed, but I drew a blank, so you can now breathe a sigh of relief).

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm sorry I'm late coming to this thread, but I absolutely love the psychiatrist's insight. WOW! I guess the trick to this is somehow making them think the tools we give them are also the tools they want. :)

Suz