Therapists specialities

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Liahona, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    Another thread got me thinking, how do you know before hand what a therapists specialty is? I haven't met one that will tell me 'oh, I don't deal with your child's problems let me send to this other therapist instead.' difficult child 1 has some huge issues and no one I've met is willing to admit he is out of their league. (But we have had a few I've fired that he could manipulate to the moon and back.)

    So how do you find one that deals mostly with molestation, or Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), or abuse, or autism, or .... (insert any of our kids diagnosis.) I'm finding this comes into play mostly with husband. He won't go to therapy because most therapist here have no idea how to reach an adult with autism. It'd also be nice to get difficult child 1 in with a therapist that can help him work through the abuse.
  2. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Almost all are general therapists.

    If the child (or adult) was sexually abused, find a pediatrician that also specializes in sexually abused kids. If you can't find one, call a domestic abuse or rape center and ask for a referral. I'm sure they have names.

    You do not want to take your sexually abused child to just any old therapist.

    The same would go for, say, autism. Call your closest Austism Society and ask them who works well with autistic people. There are many who have no idea that you can't have "typical" therapy with an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) child and get results. You need one who has had a lot of experience with spectrum kids.

    ADHD? Try CHADD and ask them. They will know.

    Whatever the specifric problem is, call an organization that specializes in dealing with those types of children (or adults) and ask for referrals. That is how I find these types of professionals.

    Good luck :)
  3. keista

    keista New Member

    I so feel your pain! The last therapists we saw assured me that they'd be able to manage all three kids. The woman for my girls and the man for my son. Well, the only successful match was the woman for DD2 and DD2 has the fewest issues of us all.

    This woman was absolutely unable to reach DD2 in any way. Yea, turns out she does have Asperger's, but not knowing that didn't stop the first therapist we worked with. And although the guy seemed familiar with Asperger's, he didn't say or suggest anything that I hadn't already said or suggested to son, so the only benefit there was independent adult confirmation that mom is not an idiot. :)

    Good luck. I'm on a therapist hiatus at the moment. Hoping our insurance case nurse can find someone appropriate for DD1 to work with since she needs the most help at the moment.
  4. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    That is a great idea MidWestMom! The next time husband agrees to therapy (willingness comes and goes) I'm going to call them.
  5. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Good therapists are as hard as hens teeth to find. For abuse you can check with domestic abuse or rape counseling services.

    You can also check with your insurance carrier. I have had less than stellar luck with that.
  6. buddy

    buddy New Member

    I ask the specific therapist to call for "a few questions " before I even let q meet them. I straight up tell them it's hard for q to change so let me know now if you think x, y z issues are too hard for you. Sometimes the receptionists can on the qt tell you which therapist she sees work with kids who are like mine.
    I also ask the therapists where they've worked before and with what kinds of diagnosis. Most therapists do develop areas of expertise even if licensed to practice generally. I would not take a voice therapy case beyond something basic because I haven't done that for 20 years. No one can honestly know about every issue and really do justice in all areas. Docs and therapists may be OK at alot but I'd rather be great in certain areas. I'd rather truly be able to make a difference.
    So I think it's good to ask when the last time they worked with the issue you need help with ( ...or the diagnosis. or age or whatever you need your case an adult with asperger's). I got Q's therapist this way and she really does do well with talking abt his issues but using Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) teaching and visual supports etc. The style is so different. Very direct and use of a schedule etc. They also do social games and practice.

    My son's pediatric clinic lists areas of interest along side of their specialty certificates. That would be helpful everywhere.

    Good luck !:D
  7. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Your welcome, hon :) This is how I always find therapists, if there are specific issues. I find it very helpful.
    Good luck :)