This is so bad

rosie30

Hi,

I am mother to a 1 year old baby boy. Something has been bothering me from some time. I was having a chat with my friend the other day, and she was telling me about the danger in every product that we use these days. She told me about one of her friend, whose baby got some allergies and serious illness because of baby powder that she used.

Now this has put me into worry because even I use baby powder for my child, and I use it everyday. Now, how do we trust the companies? They sell baby products, but still they are not ethical?

In the article, it is said that prolonged use of talcum powder among women can cause ovarian cancer. It is also mentioned that it can cause harm to the lungs of the babies. My God, how do we trust any brands theses days, especially when we use them on babies. Has anyone heard of this news yet ??? I think we should limit the use of powders for babies, but what other options are available?

BusynMember

My daughter only uses organic food and natural products on my granddaughter. It costs more and they aren't rich but they feel it is worth it. She doesn't trust immunizations either, but that's another yet similar issue

My grand is two years old and healthy, incredibly smart and precocious and over the 100% percentile in height.

There is no way to 100% protect youir child. Most if us survived baby powder. But my daughter only uses butt paste.

Lil

Corn starch is an excellent alternative to baby powders that contain talc. Check the labels. I bet some powders have no talc at all and it is the talc that apparently has been linked to cancer.

Though I have to wonder, why is it generations of women haven't got cancer when all our mother's used the stuff?

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
We used butt paste...great if your child is prone to rash. I believe it's natural.

AppleCori

Hi and welcome, Rosie.

I second (or third or fourth) the use of Butt Paste for diaper rashes. I used it for my daughter when she was a baby.

I even bought some recently, in case I needed it for my colonoscopy prep. Didn't end up needing it, luckily! I believe it was cheaper than the other brands, too.

Do you have other kids, or is this your first?

Apple

Crayola13

I never worried about baby powder, but until our son was 9, I didn't let him have a lot of food that had artificial ingredients. I didn't always insist on organic--I just don't like artificial ingredients. Now that he's older, I don't worry about it as much.

Nomad

Staff member
My daughter in law uses almost all organic products and foods for our young grandson.
I would hesitate to use baby powder, especially for a girl.
I've heard the butt paste is very good...very funny name!