Type of testing and psychologist


New Member

I just found this forum and am wondering if anyone can recommend the type of testing my daughter needs. My health insurance does not cover this testing, and I am a single parent so I need to get answers as cost-effectively as possible.

My daughter is 13. She has always been sensitive, but it has increased markedly as she gets older. She is very abusive and controlling to both her (much) younger sister and me. Lots of name calling, hitting her younger sister, very easily frustrated, constantly upset/lying/sneaking/throwing things/slamming doors, highly belligerent and entitled, very anxious with many different tics through the years, grades are high As and then drop to because (the amount of time and how motivated she is at the particular time seem to direct how she performs academically), difficulty maintaining friendships, constant ailments when she has to do things (even things she supposedly wants to do like play on sports teams), etc. The family therapist we have been seeing believes she has ODD and ADHD. A teacher just wrote to me today about her grades and the teacher's feedback does seem to point to ADHD, if not something else.

I am in the process of having my younger daughter tested, who does clearly have dyslexia and ADHD. My younger daughter's testing seems to be straightforward educational testing. I have found a psychologist who can do this testing. He is as cost-effective as I will find, and I have called around to several university clinics.

For my older daughter, I'm wondering what is the best use of my financial resources. While I found a psychologist to do the testing for my younger daughter, I'm wondering if my older daughter's problems - given they have been going on for 5 years with no sign of abating - go beyond standard educational testing and she needs neuropsychologist testing. If so, I'm assuming that I need to find a neuropsychologist to do that, and I wonder what questions I should ask to find the right person as well as what tests she should take in order to fully evaluate her issues and determine what, if anything, can be done.

Thank you.


Well-Known Member
You have no insurance? Qualify for Medicaid? The tics could mean something like Tourettes. I'm you need more than a therapist or school testing to figure it out. We used Medicaid and we're covered for almost everything.


New Member
I have insurance, but am self-employed so it is a high deductible ($10K) plan. I meant tics like picking, nail biting, hair twirling, etc.

I'm trying to figure out if a licensed psychologist will be appropriate, or do I need to find a neuropsychologist.


Well-Known Member
Sometimes, children will qualify for Medicaid based on their needs and issues. We were able to get Medicaid secondary to our BCBS.

Also, even with insurance, they wouldn't approve other testing by a neuropsychologist until the school did a battery of IQ tests.

You might Google Medicaid waiver for your state.



Well-Known Member
I would start by requesting an IEP evaluation from your daughter's school. These tests will give you a starting point, and depending on the results, may give her a diagnosis that will qualify her for additional resources. And an IEP, if she qualifies, will provide her with additional support at school which may prove beneficial for her.

While a neuropsychologist might be the gold standard to reach for, an academic psychologist, along with a clinical psychologist and psychiatrist to address any underlying mental illness, will give you a good initial picture of her situation and should get you started on interventions and treatments. The onset of puberty may be sending her hormones into overdrive, causing her behaviors to escalate.

I also wanted to add that unless it is your personal preference to pay out of pocket for a private academic psychological evaluation for either of your daughters, the school system is obliged to perform these services at no cost to you as part of an IEP evaluation. Based on your description it sounds like this is appropriate for both of your girls. Hope this helps.
Last edited:


Well-Known Member
I did tcare for the professionals pro ided by school. We did have Medicaid. A u I ersity clinicwill normally accept it, are usually exceptional and have neuropsychologists. My autistic son was covered a d a neuropsychologist h was the first person whodiagnosed him correctly. I shudder to think how things GS would have turned out with the wrong diagnosis. The school called it ADHD which was wrong and the ADHD medications made him worse. A psychiatrist said bipolar. That was worse. The way a neuropsychologist test (at least ours) was ten hours of thorough testing in every area of function, not just listening g to me recite symptoms or listening to my son struggling to explain.

The school stopped trying g to deal y services on ether neuropsychologist sent his report and recomendations. He got taken off all medications .

At 24 he isonhisown and doing g great. Good luck.