Update on Diva

slsh

member since 1999
Good news, bad news.

No porosis on bone scan (actually hugely good news there).

SPECT scan showed increased uptake at T5 of questionable significance, meaning probably nothing.

So we went for MRI of lumbar spine last week.

Bad news - L4-L5 disk bulge with- cyst, possibly secondary to inflammation (not likely tumor or lesion). Right paracentral disk protrusion at L5-S1 with compression of L5 nerve root. Ding ding ding ding ding... and we have a winner folks. This is what's causing her pain. So we're off to a neurosurgeon now. Praying that conservative, i.e. nonsurgical treatment, is an option.

As far as the kyphosis, she's apparently right on the cusp of it being clincially significant. My concern is progression because of her build, and apparently ortho shares my concern. So we return to him once we figure out what to do with- her lumbar spine.

I'm just *sick* about this. She's such an active kid - it's going to really blow a lot her plans (okay, all of her plans) for this spring and summer. Blech...........

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad y'all were able to figure out what the pain source was.

Yeah, her plans are kaput, but... Her life, not so much.

Gentle :hugs: for her and you, too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Aww (((hugs))) for you both. Stinks about her plans. But at least they've got the cause nailed down and can hopefully treat it successfully. It will be worth it if they can.

buddy

I hope they can find a non surgical approach too, no fun for kids especially to have to go through that. Poor kid. I know you feel sad for her, it is really a bummer, but I am so glad you have some answers. HUGS to you both.....

InsaneCdn

I'm just *sick* about this. She's such an active kid - it's going to really blow a lot her plans (okay, all of her plans) for this spring and summer. Blech...........
Time to start looking at alternative plans.
The summer will be a good time to try out things that she hasn't had time to be interested in.

I had no interest in photography until I got laid up (badly damaged knee) for 6 months.
I'm no pro... but I got good enough to take some shots that my siblings don't like...