update on rat

jbrain

Hi,
I just talked to Emily and she says Mike, the boyfriend, whose rat it was in the first place, will take the rat. I asked if he had a place for it and she said yes. I told her I was worried about him leaving the rat again and she said she would tell him that if he is going to leave to call her and she will come get the rat. I told her if that happens she can call me to help. Man, if I am this worried over a rat what will happen if she ever has a kid?!

My husband will deliver the rat tomorrow. Emily says she is working several jobs now but since I wouldn't believe her there was no point in telling me about them. I just let that one lie.

Okay, going to try to go practice my singing--I have rehearsal tomorrow night and haven't been able to concentrate all day--we perform in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Jane

hearthope

Did the two of them get another place and just leave the rat at the old place? And the boyfriend, the one that left him for three weeks alone, wants him back?

jbrain

Hi Hearthope,
I have no idea if the 2 of them are living together now but yes, the boyfriend is the one who bought the rat in the first place and left him.

I was feeding the rat a couple of hours ago and then tried to pet him and he bit me--it really hurt. I had been reconsidering giving him back to the boyfriend but now I don't feel so bad. He really needs to be tamed again (if he ever was). I did tell Emily I will help with rat rescue in the future if needed so they don't need to just abandon him.

I really hope this is the last I will hear of the rat once he goes to his "dad"--I mean, I feel sorry for it but I really don't want to keep him. I'm a cat person, not a rat person!

Jane

ScentofCedar

Well, there's another wonderful parenting experience I bet you never thought you would have!

:rofl:

Good for you for taking the dang rat, though. Poor little thing. Is he a white rat, at least?

And what sort of singer are you, Jane?

How very cool.

Barbara

jbrain

Hi Barbara,
the rat is mostly white with some black--he is really kind of cute but I hate his long ugly tail. I feel sorry for him, will be glad to see him go but probably will be worrying about him.

I sing with a vocal group called "Mostly Motown." We are all just people who love to sing and love the music from the motown era. We perform twice a year and the show has lots of skits and songs. One of the skits is pitting the "good girls" against the "bad girls" (I am a bad girl, will wear black leather mini skirt, leather jacket, etc.). I get to sing "Wild Thing" so that should be fun. It is a good diversion--really nice, fun people and I get to be just me--not a wife, mother, but just me.

I'll let you know if the rat actually gets delivered today!

Jane

mom_in_training

Lol!! upallnight, Stay tuned for the update, Yes Rats can be pets.... My difficult child had 3 a while back and yes some do bite (Ouch!!!) The rat bit Jane, I would hope that she would not need a tetnus shot although it did cross my mind when I first read her post on getting bit.

hearthope

Poor rat ~ you should never bite the hand that feeds you

~makes you wonder if maybe he bit someone else and that is why he got left behind?

mom_in_training

Lol!! I am not a rat expert but did learn that when my difficult child had her three rats that they need to be handled often and given TLC otherwise they will start getting a lil skittish and will bite. I have had birds, Parrots large and small and cockateils since I was a teen and I know if you don't handle them often they too will get mean and bite the hand that feeds them. Gee, I hope it all worked out and that you were able to reunite this lil guy back with his owner.

jbrain

Hi,
well, the rat is now going to live with us (sigh). I could not get a straight answer out of Emily as to whether the boyfriend really wanted the rat back and when I could deliver him. She can be so evasive. Molly did want the rat so I picked her up from the hospital psychiatric ward, we went to her therapy session with her therapist and then went to the pet store to get a nice cage and accessories. I had to run to my Mostly Motown rehearsal so my husband got to set up the cage and get the rat into it. When I came home all was done.

I did ask Emily if the rat had been tame once (thought I remembered that) and she said he had but that lately he was "getting mean" and biting. Well, my guess is that they tired of him and weren't really paying any attention to him anymore. We will try to socialize him and maybe he'll be nice again.

Molly renamed him--we all hated his name that the stupid boyfriend gave him--Judas. Molly is now calling him "Bunny" because he looks like a bunny to her...okay...

I can now close this chapter with Emily. I am kind of hoping the boyfriend really does want him back and I get to say "no way." Now all I have to do is remind Emily of some dr. appts. I am sure she will not go (I will not take time off work to take her, she could take a bus) but I will inform her of them. She says she is working 2 jobs, hope she is so she has money since she will not get any more from us. I will be happy to have a more "casual" relationship with her. As long as I don't have to know what she is really doing I think we can manage. As long as we aren't providing her with anything she can do whatever she wants, it doesn't really matter. I will be glad to stick my head in the sand!

Karen, I don't like his tail either!

--Jane

mom_in_training

Awww, Bunny is a cute name. Sorry that it did not work out with the boyfriend taking the rat back.... But you know he is in better hands with you anyway, At least you know that he will never be abandoned again. How sad that people will do that to their pets.