Want to see if this is the Forum I need... Camps

DavidWH

I first before I post want to ensure I am at the right type of place.
My Son is a resident of a wilderness camp for boys

I am having major issues with him being there (most my own)

They offer no real private support or ways to talk to other parents

Is this the type of site to do this?

meowbunny

Many of us have sent our kids to various places -- camps, RTCs, boarding schools -- the whole 9 yards. So, yes, this is a good place for comfort and support. We do understand how you feel -- the guilt, the loneliness, wondering if you're doing the right thing, all of it.

Welcome. When you have time, do create a profile listing any Dxes your son has, medications he is taking, etc. Also, read the FAQs to learn our abbreviations.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
David

Welcome to the board. :flower:

It sounds to me like you're in the right place. I'm glad you found us. This is a wonderful place for support from parents who have been there done that and who really care about each other.

Hugs

goldenguru

Hi David and welcome.

We sent our daughter to a program for 16 months. On the other side of the country. It nearly killed me - so I understand your 'major issues in having him there'.

Tell us a little bit more about your son and his story. Tell us about your family.

I would have a really, really big problem with a program that didn't offer parental support. I would also have a problem with them not allowing you to talk to other parents who have kids in the same program. BIG RED FLAGS in my humble opinion.

By contrast, when I first sent our daughter, I talked to staff almost daily. Some days when I was really struggling with our decision, they talked to me several times a day. They were wonderfully supportive. Further more, we got regularly scheduled calls from her case worker to update on therapeutic, academic, and community progress.

Have you done your homework about this place? Are you confident of it's efficacy and have you checked the credentials of the staff? What are their restraint policies? How did you hear about them? Did you use an educational consultant?

Lots of questions - I'm sorry.