Was I wrong for pulling difficult child out of high school when she was 16?

HeadlightsMom

GuideMe & TearyEyed -- Were you at our house during all those years of getting out of bed battles? :) We lived same. Gentle (massaging back, soft alarm, music), hard (clanging pans, dumping water), etc. Nothing worked. Expelled from every school, didn't finish 10th grade. Used to blame myself. But, having tried everything (and we enlisted professional help for ideas), I concluded that most likely nothing would work. And I finally let it go. Letting go did not come easily nor quickly. But it did come blissfully. I "feel" you both and you are supported!

Pasajas4 -- When their Drama Tornado revs up, the only answer left is to disconnect. Sounds like you did a great job of disconnecting. Hard to do, but shows a strong sense of self. Way to stand strong in your own identity!

TearyEyed

HeadlightsMom,

Ha Ha! Isnt it amazing how all of our stories here are so similar! That what makes the support everyone here offers so wonderful. We understand because we have been through the exact same thing. I dont know what I would do without all of the advice, wisdom and support I have gotten from all the amazing people here:)

HeadlightsMom

Teary-Eyed -- Just read your "signature" bio. Your difficult child sounds identical to mine with only 2 additions: My son is now 24 and also has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) diagnosis. He is currently refusing to talk to us at all. In some ways that hurts. Yet, as we all know, in other ways that helps. I just saw a social media comment on his page that he is married (as of last week). He likes to talk a good game. I seriously doubt he's married. Although, perhaps... One never knows. But this is how I know it's been a long road.... I'm not even gonna ask him.

Lastly, I loved your reply! Wish I'd found this website years ago. But, hey, better late than never! :)

honeybuggy

omg this thread is so funny. well, sort of. my daughter has the nerve to complain that i didn't "make her" major in something useful like pre-medication. i pulled her out of an ivy league school after her first year because i was paying through the nose ... but she was snorting white powder up her nose. She still blames me for not letting her finish. Mind you, she was admitted to a very prestigious university in the UK that would have given her a BA in three years and a third the cost, which I could have easily paid for at the time, but she didn't want to do that. So she came back stateside, and after the year at the Ivy she spent a few years in NYC trying different things and then finally decided to get a BFA in theater. She did so, and now is angry at me that I didn't "make" her do something practical like pre-medication. The nerve...

I love that.... why didn't you make me..
Don't they know that if we could make them do the things we wanted a lot of us would not have a difficult child at all.LOL