what are you reading now?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I have two books going:smug:

"Made in the USA", by Billie Letts (fiction)

&

"Fresh Brewed Life" by Nicole Johnson (inspirational)

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Right now the one I am reading that is next to me Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough. I have a biography I am ready and it isn't going so well.

beth

Lothlorien

I'm listening to The Other Boleyn Girl on audiobooks. I'm about halfway through it. It's good.

I just finished Lord John and the Private Matter and I'm waiting for the other two Lord John books from the library. Then I'm going to listen to Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Hmmm I have to say a few months ago I read "Peter Pan in Scarlette" it had been given to my son, but was too hard for him, I could not put it down, I really enjoyed it alot, is was well written in a very enchanted manor.

trinityroyal

I just finished Something Rotten, which is the fourth in a series by Jasper Fforde.
The others are:
- The Eyre Affair
- Lost in a Good Book
- The Well of Lost Plots

If you like absurd, slightly magic-realist off-kilter British humour, you'll enjoy these. Otherwise, you might find them painful. I lent the first one to my next-door neighbour who just HATED it.

Your mileage may vary, but I loved all of them.

Trinity

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just finished Whatever Makes you Happy by Lisa Grundwald (pretty good).

Currently reading Matrimony by Joshua Henkin (a little better than pretty good).

I have lined up next You Had me at Goodbye by Tracey Bateman (supposed to be a decent summer read) and

The Reluctant Suitor by Kathleen Woodiwiss (used to read her in my early 20's - very spicy old romances. I figured it was time to read some trash for my vacation)!;)

witzend

Just finished "The Four Agreements" by Miguel Ruiz, I'm in the middle of "The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee" by Hans Van Gulik, and I'm starting "Fearless Fourteen" by Janet Evanovich.

muttmeister

I've been reading the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler and the Goldie the Caterer books by Diane Mott Davidson. I've also read several by A.J. Cronin lately (The Keys to the Kingdom, The Citadel, The Judas Tree, etc,). Friday I read The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski....not exactly a fun book but an important one. The latest Robert Crais book (Chasing Darkness) is next in my to be read pile and right now I'm in the middle of rereading David Copperfield. I know I must have read it in high school but I'd forgotten about it and it is really terrific. I guess some classics are classics for a reason.

KTMom91

I just finished "The Time Traveler's Wife", from my last Salvation Army/Goodwill book search, and I got "The Last Lecture" on Saturday, but haven't started it yet.

Steely

I am reading Awakening Your Inner Self by Eckhart Tolle. Great, insightful, interesting read. I would highly suggest it.

SRL

Our library has a great summer reading program that has adults reading kids books so that's what I'm doing. You have to hit various genres, award nominees, etc. so it always is fun to get out of my usual shoes for awhile.

I just finished listening to Ender's Game.

I didn't love The Time Traveler's Wife but I know a lot of people did. One time travel book I did enjoy is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad you started this thread because this summer I have been looking for books to read. Right now I'm rereading the 5th Harry Potter book, I finished rereading the 4th a couple of weeks ago. They're good but I need something new to read.

"138 Superb Crossword Puzzles - All Themed - All Levels!"

This is my latest thing. I used to do the Chicago Tribune puzzle every day years ago. Lately wife has been bit by the crossword bug and got me back into it.

Estherfromjerusalem

I'm in the middle of two books at the moment: "A Past in Hiding" by Mark Roseman, and "The Lost" by Daniel Mendelsohn. Both are personal Holocaust histories, one of a survivor, and the other about a family that didn't survive. Holocaust literature is what interests me these days, when I get a chance to read, which isn't often.

Love, Esther

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well call me crazy, but two nights ago I was up very late and looking through our bookcase and found "Helter Skelter" -- the retelling of the Manson events and trials. It's disturbing and riveting and I find myself reading a little more each night (no wonder I can't sleep!) I was a young child living in L.A. county at the time of the murders, and I've been to many of the areas where the events took place, but unaware of their connection, so it is also a bit of a peek at my own past.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
"No Woman, No Cry: My life with Bob Marley" by Rita Marley, and "Full House: The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin" by Stephen Jay Gould

Estherfromjerusalem

Believe it or not, my difficult child just picked up the last (seventh) Harry Potter book that I had bought for him when it came out. (He is between jobs at the moment, has an interview next Sunday.) He read for two days solid, and finished it this evening. He is such a strange boy, never still for a moment, until he gets hooked on a book (doesn't happen very often). I find it really encouraging that he does this. It means that when he is motivated, he has powers of concentration. Who knows, maybe one day . . .!

Love, Esther

B

butterflydreams

I just finished reading "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. I saw it at the bookstore back in April and it had intrigued me. It is really fascinating with a story set in 19th century China and follows a girl's journey through life including having her feet bound.

Christy

muttmeister

I just got back from shopping at Sam's and I picked up Audition by Barbara Walters. Sounds interesting.

Esther - I mentioned Jerzy Kosinski's "The Painted Bird." I'm thinking you may have already read it but, if not, you'd probably be interested.