What comforts do you have in your life?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Not just stress relief for difficult child/family related things, but just for life in general. I have a thing that I do and have always done, and I'm just curious if anyone else does/has something similar or if I'm alone in my weirdness. :hammer:

Ever since I was a baby I've had this thing with the satin on blankets. I run it through my fingers and sometimes behind my ears when I'm laying down. It's a bit :bag: but it's my thing. I also fully admit to being a satin snob. It has to be a particular kind/texture and to get the full effect, it has to be cool and not warm. I even have two lengths that came off of a blanket we have. husband keeps asking why I don't throw them away (silly man, he knows I'm a satin addict!) and I just give him "the look". My mom and step dad even gave me a length of satin for Christmas one year after one of their blankets disentigrated.

Does anyone else have any "comforts" like this or am I the only odd duck?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Blankets in general are my comfort. Probably the best gift I've ever received is last year my daughter made me the softest blanket ever. I don't even sleep in my regular bedding anymore...just my blankie. :thumb:

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hadn't really ever thought about it - :bag: I dont' really have anything that is comforting. When I'm upset I clean. But I would hate to say that Pinesol is a comfort.

DammitJanet

Well...I used to have a "pinkie" that was my baby blanket but I lost it when my boys were little. That blanket went everywhere with me until Jamie took it to daycare with him and they lost it.

Jamie was my blanket baby. He had his "suckie" until he left for bootcamp and his girlfriend at the time stole it...lmao.

We tried to find one to replace it but never could find one that suited him.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My best comfort is to take a long hot shower and go over my body head to toe, shave, the whole bit, slather on my favorite lavender-vanilla lotion when I get out, put on my favorite soft comfy strechy jammie pants and t-shirt, and then wrap up in my favorite, most softest I've ever felt in my life blanket. Then snuggle on my couch, which is the bestest, comfyest, lofty, and biggest couch I have ever had - it practically eats you. It helps if H has made a fire in the fireplace. That is my favorite comfort.

For every day comfort, I like wine. Oh, and someone else to make dinner. And someone else to clean up.

For 'coping' I do try to cope in a healthy way, but I cannot say that's always the case.

difficult child was a satin baby also. I remember her dad took away her blankey when she was around 4/5 and I had to whip one up. Thankfully I had a half finished afghan I never finished and I tore up an old costume that was made of the good silky stuff and sewed it all together to make difficult child a new blankey. It saved us all a long sleepless night! I was forever replacing the good silky part with new stuff for difficult child. One time she forgot it at her aunt's house and I had to give her a pair of my silky undies! Haha. That was wierd.

F

flutterbee

difficult child did the blankie thing, but she was a bit of a snob, too. Her blankie was her crib comforter and she would pull up the top layer and rub it between her thumb and forefinger. She wore holes in it.

I rock myself. Not in a rocking chair, but wherever I'm sitting. I don't even know I'm doing it most of the time. In fact, I was doing it when I read this post. LOL :bag:

DDD

I have a throw blanket that easy child/difficult child was given at the Rehab hospital almost two years ago. When he went through those terrible weeks of not know who was trying to hurt him or molest
him because he was in Depends etc....the three things he knew brought comfort were his Mama, his Grandad holding his
hand and "my blue blanket".
With all the insanity of the legal system this year, I have
found comfort with the same blanket. Laughingly he
told me last week "Mama, when I DO get home again I better NOT
find out that MY blue blanket is anywhere but in MY room waiting
for ME!" :smile: DDD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... When I'm upset I clean. </div></div>

Me too! Or do yard work. Anything that keeps my body busy and doesn't require a lot of concentration, but enough to keep my mind from spinning too fast. Got into an argument with wife the other night and ended up vacuuming the living room, folding laundry and dusting the light fixtures.

Sometimes I wonder if wife doesn't get me mad on purpose.

I bet your home is sparkly bright all the time.

Marguerite

difficult child 3's 'thing' is towelling. He was born in midsummer, we have no air conditioning. Even the hospital - no air conditioning. So with the post-pregnancy late in life hormones wreaking havoc, I walked around dripping with sweat, so I carried a cloth nappy, or hand towel. Because he fed so much, I would lie him on his side to sleep, with the towel I had been using tucked underneath his cheek to catch 'overflows'. My towel was catching not only my sweat but also my overflow of milk; I would hold it on the side not currently being drained, to avoid drenching my clothes. While he slept with towel no 1, I was then walking around with towel no 2. When he got up from his nap, towel no 1 went in the wash. By the end of 24 hours, there would be three hand towels in the wash (maybe more). Sometimes I would rinse them out and leave them to dry (took half an hour, in the summer heat).

So difficult child 3, from his earliest moments, was getting used to the combined smell of my sweat and milk plus the feel of the towelling. I created a monster! Wherever we went through his early years, he had to have a towel handy. We carried one in the car which he would fold as a cushion, if he wanted to sleep. He would hold it as well as put his face against it. He's not as obsessed as he was, but he still likes towelling.

As for me, what do I do? Gardening, especially pottering around my herbs. Cooking sometimes, making pot pourri which includes some aromatherapy blending from pure essential oils, and doing Sudoku.

Marg