What constitutes change of placement?

slsh

member since 1999
I know this is a *really* dumb question to be asking at this late date, but here goes...

If thank you was supposed to be in a HS class at off grounds Residential Treatment Center (RTC) school, then was moved to jr. high class, then moved to ongrounds school, then back to jr. high class, and now back to HS class... do all these moves constitute changes in placement (all were for greater than 10 days)? Meaning like perhaps a bothersome old IEP mtg should have been held prior to each move (heck, even a phone call would've been nice)?

To clarify on the school - it's a therapeutic school serving community and Residential Treatment Center (RTC), run by Residential Treatment Center (RTC), that holds both jr high and HS classes, segregated by gender and by status (Residential Treatment Center (RTC) kids are not in class with- kids from the community). The ongrounds school is pretty much a catch all for the kids who are too unstable to attend off grounds.

Once a change of placement occurs, the count gets reset as far as 10 days per school year, right?

Thanks, ladies... my brain is atrophying (only 6 more years, max, of Special Education!!! Yippee!!!).

Lizz

Hi....

An answer to your easy question first....

The 10 day rule ( I am assuming that you mean for suspensions) applies to the school year, regardless of placement. So no, the 10 days are not restarted. If a student has been suspended for 9 days and then is placed in a therapeutic day school, he has one more day available for suspension WITHOUT holding a hearing/meeting to discuss relatability and the need to change placement.

Now.....regarding change in placement. Change in placement referes to the level of services and restrictiveness in placement. Not the physical location.

So, unless you son received a change in the level of services (less therapy, fewer school hours, classes with in the regular ed enviornment vs solely sped teachers, etc) or restictiveness of placement----more or less time spent among his non-handicapped peers---the change may be considered a lateral move. A lateral move, particularly within the same program, would not require an IEP meeting.

Students may change therapeutic day schools, for better fit, different types of therapy, etc. and enter into the new program with the IEP in tact, or with small changes made. This would not necessarily be considered a change in placement. IN most cases the meetings held are to go over policy differences, sign paperwork, etc.

I hope that this answers your question. However, don't forget that you can request an IEP meeting at any time to review your child's program, make changes, request additional services, etc. You simply need to do so in writing and hold your school personnel to your local timelines.

Lizz