What do you do to...

tiredmommy

take care of you? Having one or more difficult children in the family isn't easy and we all need strategies to not be overcome by stress. So, I'm curious, what do you do?:confused:

KTMom91

Pedicure. Had one today. Complete with foot and calf massage. I have bright red toes and they look so cute!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
A massage sounds good. Dunno about a pedicure as I've never had one and never wear open toed shoes/sandals. I know some other people on the board find mani/pedicures to be very relaxing, plus enjoy how their nails look afterwards.

tiredmommy

I have to admit... I can't tolerate pedicures or foot massages. I'm just too ticklish and I'm miserable throughout!

crazymama30

Excercise. Sometimes I go to the gym, sometimes I go take the dogs for walk in the woods. ALONE! I also listen to my music and play computer games, I check out from my life for awhile.

KJsMama

Usually read or watch tv. Lately I've gotten into Facebook. I opened an account last year sometime but didn't do anything with it and then recently got an email from a high school friend that wanted to be my "friend". Well, ok, whatever and then BOOM all these people from high school were coming at me to be my "friend". Truthfully, some of them were not my friends in high school for a reason but I just couldn't reject them - way too sad. :peaceful: It has been fun to look at everyone's photos and see how much they've all changed. It's keeping me busy, for now.

Oh how I wish exercise did it for me - I'd be super skinny by now!;)

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ride and shoot when I can.

Cleaning helps, too.

I also take a walk or go lay in the tanning bed. I know, bad for you, but something about that 20 minutes that I allow myself to lay in the warm sun just "works".

And lately, I haven't done squat, and it shows....

DammitJanet

I play on here with you guys! I listen to music on youtube now. I watch tv.

I am beginning to learn to make jewelry. Something I am just being taught to do and that I am going to teach Keyana. Gonna be something for us girls to do together...lol. Very simple stuff right now of course.

KTMom91

Jewelry making sounds like so much fun! I've seen the beads at Michaels, but don't even know where to start. Let me know how Keyana likes it; that may be something Maddie and I can do in a few years.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Just shutting out life for 15 min to an hour makes a world of difference in my attitude. A silent walk in the woods with the dogs, or a short nap or exercise all help me to refocus. Life is tough sometimes but life with a difficult child requires a plan to reduce stress on a regular basis.
I enjoy date night. I don't even think about children at that time. The fact they are in their 20's helps tremendously but husband and I have always tried to squeeze some time in for each other. It does a lot for recharging my batteries.

busywend

When in the dark days, I did nothing for myself. I am a single mom and was struggling financially at that time. Especially with all the added costs for therapist, medications, etc. Now and then I would go out with the girls & I did have every other weekend free when she went to dad's. But, I really did not recharge at all. I was always on edge and worried even when she was not with me.

It was later that I realized just how important taking some time for yourself really is. Massages, pediures, manicures, etc. all cost money - which I am fortunate to be able to do now, but only once in a while. It is just different when they are older. I wish I knew more when it was really bad.

unsure

Now that the nicer weather is here...I walk! I walk on my lunch hour and again when I get home in the evening. I also do yoga from time to time, but seem to have trouble sticking with it...I do better outdoors with exercise.

In the colder months, I take hot baths with relaxing music and light a few candles, I read books and I also make wooden decorations...my husband cuts them out and I paint them.

In the warmer months I spend as much time outdoors as possible. I LOVE gardening so that's where most of my stress relief comes from...be it planting, picking or weeding. Mowing grass...I perfer to use a hand mower then riding mower so I get my exercise at the same time (we have 2 acres of grass - 12 acres total). I walk in the woods and spend time with our animals...it amazes me how comforting they can be. :)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I spend hours playing the piano. I create art; just the process of painting a watercolor is all consuming & takes my mind off everything.

The same with playing piano. Now that spring is here & the snow has melted I can safely head out walking; already planning my garden.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Latest craze is FarmVille on facebook. Also lots of artsy-craftsy stuff, go to my friends' places. Or have them here. And baking bread, too....