what does this mean?

peg2

Hi,
Having serious issues with my 17+ year old son. I was looking back through a previous diagnosis in 2004 and one of them was bipolar disorder, rule out-mixed? What does that mean?
He seems to be deteriorating now and although he wouldn't go anywhere for an evaluation. now I am thinking he might have to go to the hospital for a screening as he has been out of control.
Just wanted to know what it meant.
Thanks,

Janna

Peg,

My son has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified as an outrule on his Axis. Basically, that means he has some of the symptoms, they think he has it, but they aren't 100% sure. So the docs are watching it, and treating him as he has it. I'm not sure of the actual technical meaning of the outrule, but if it's on there, I'm sure it's at least a consideration.

And actually, his Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified (Autism) has been confirmed over time. So although at one time it was an outrule, it's now just Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.

Hope that makes sense.

SnowAngel

My son was a rule out mood disorder at one time.The Dr. said she didn't want to diagnose him as bipolar just yet because once they are diagnosed it is hard to change.If you can keep a journal of his mood changes and behavior,this could help your Dr make a final decision.