What I'm learning in class.....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You think the Ham operator thing shocked you?? You should've seen easy child's face when I told her! (she'd like to do this in the near future when she gets the room) OH, no.......better.......husband when he walked in on me on the radio at someone's house just chatting away. :rofl:

Personally? I think any one person has TONS more skills than they ever even consider giving themselves credit for.....or even sometimes realize they have.

To be fair..........I nearly fell over when I discovered that husband could've easily made a very good living as a tailor. Even his hand stitching was amazing.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Truer words Hound - We all have mad skillz.........Somehow picturing husband as a tailor is not that weird. DF used to make leather goods and chaps for the bikers and his sewing was awesome. His cooking is really good too. HE hates to mow the lawn and work outside in the yard -and it relaxes me. Go figure. Me and my little tractor. But then again - I like to run heavy equipment and play in the dirt probably more than anything I know next to driving trucks....and he likes to ride Hogs. AND you and I both love to draw and paint. But you're not getting me ANYWHERE NEAR someone with a needle. (I bow to the master) blech. (gets handiwipe) lol.

DammitJanet

Star the two apps I have on my phone are called Police Scanner and Scanner Radio.

Someone just fell out the back of someones house...10-37

witzend

Star, the base salary on 911 operators in Oregon wasn't that good either, but this guy who made all of the money took all of the extra shifts. Time and a half for over time. Double time on holidays.

DammitJanet

What is defenestrated? I was trying to type one line of what I was hearing come over the scanner as I was listening to it. I could hear the operator sending out the units to addresses, units calling back in, back and forth...such things as that. I can hear all sorts of cities. I can hear her county fire, rescue, ems. I can hear everything in Horry county such as all the police calls. All the police in Chicago.

It depends on the place if I can hear the cops or not but all the time I can hear fire and ems but normally if ems and fire goes out, a cops goes too.

witzend

I love this word and can never pass up an opportunity to use it.

de·fen·es·trate

[dee-fen-uh-streyt]

verb (used with object), de·fen·es·trat·ed, de·fen·es·trat·ing.

to throw (a person or thing) out of a window.

donna723

So if "DEfenestrate"means to throw someone out a window, does "fenestrate" mean to put them back in the window?

trinityroyal

Donna, strangely enough, to "fenestrate" means to pierce with window-like openings. So, to make a window, rather than to put something in a window. For some reason, this calls to mind some of the teenagers I've seen with gauged ears.

buddy

While I have not ever been in that kind of pressure cooker job....I have had some pressured moments academically and what got me through? Every single one of those people in there IS like you...they are not geniuses. They learned it by just doing their best. I assume, given it is life/death stuff that you get on the job support esp. while a rookie? YOU CAN DO THIS. The question will be if you like it. I think of the few times I've had to call 911 and it really does make a difference who you get. For Q stuff I seem to get great people (so far)....on the road emergencies...well once I got someone who told me I couldn't be where I was (in the middle of a busy highway where there was almost no shoulder....I was so scared)...and when I asked her what I was supposed to do about my car that just blew and stopped, she didn't know but I sure as heck better move the car! HUH??? Luckily the patrol car that came helped and was great.

witzend

More on defenestration:

The term was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year 1618. The word comes from the Latin de- (down or away from) and fenestra (window or opening). Likewise, it can also refer to the condition of being thrown out of a window, as in The Defenestration of Ermintrude Inch.

The act of defenestration connotes the forcible or peremptory removal of an adversary, and the term is sometimes used in just that sense; it also suggests breaking the windows in the process (de- also means removal). Although defenestrations can be fatal due to the height of the window through which a person is thrown or throws oneself or due to lacerations from broken glass, the act of defenestration need not carry the intent or result of death.

The term originates from two incidents in history, both occurring in Prague. In 1419, seven town officials were thrown from the Town Hall, precipitating the Hussite War. In 1618, two Imperial governors and their secretary were tossed from Prague Castle, sparking the Thirty Years War. These incidents, particularly in 1618, were referred to as the Defenestrations of Prague and gave rise to the term and the concept.

I was first intrigued by this word when we were watching a program and someone jumped out of a 2nd floor window to get away from someone else. One of the characters said "He defenestrated himself!" I had to look it up!

busywend

OMG - I can NOT wait to use the word defenestrate!!!! WAHOO!!! I might throw something out the window just so I can use it! LOL!

InsaneCdn

This board is insane. I mean crazy. I mean... wait, let me go grab the Thesaurus. Oops, kid has it at school.
Only on THIS board.
Seriously!

I'm amazed at the quantity of trivia that we learn DAILY...

Does make for a nice diversion from difficult child-life. <grin>

Lothlorien

Star...my husband was a 911/dispatcher. He did it for a small town, but the 911 calls would come in from all over. The calls would be rerouted if the main line in that town was too busy. He had to know the areas surrounding his town to discern where the caller was calling from. Things are much different now. He did this 15 years ago, before the technology took off. You must be working for a much bigger city.

The job definitely sounds like the perfect job for you. I know you are going to do really well. I still can't wait to read some of your stories! Ha!

trinityroyal

Star, it sounds to me like this job is perfect for you.

Now, as to learning all the stuff, you mention that you're a kinaesthetic learner. So, you can't just look at (i.e. read) the material, which is great for visual learners, or listen to the material, which is great for auditory learners. You have to find a way to make the learning physical so that you can develop muscle memory of the material and get it firmly lodged in your brain.

A question for you:

When you have to remember something, do you:
a) write it down
b) repeat it to yourself until you remember it
c) some other method that I can't come up with off the top of my head.

Whatever technique works best for you there, can be adapted to help you learn this overwhelming amount of material for your job. Whether it's taking copious notes (or even transcribing the whole text book in your handwriting), or reading it all out loud to yourself (which is different from listening to a recording of someone else's voice saying the same thing that you would be saying), or some other thing, there are ways for this to work.

I'm also a kinaesthetic learner, and I find that note-taking, reading aloud, and setting stuff to music so I can sing it to myself as I go about my day are the three methods that work best for me when I have to remember a boatload of information that just won't stick.

Hope this helps just a little bit.
Trinity

DammitJanet

Trin....that is what I found I had to do too. Now I am (or was) a fairly smart person but when I hit college it was much harder than HS. And I wanted that 4.0 average. Anything else just wasnt going to do so I set out to figure a way to retain everything and I did. I first read the chapters and I highlighted all the important parts, then I went back and I made my own notes of those, which were written in my own handwriting, then I would read them out loud to myself on a tape recorder and listen to them over and over again. I would have people quiz me..either when we did study groups or I would have Tony quiz me from notes I made. By the time a quiz or test was coming, I knew the material by heart. I know how to study. This is why when I tried to go back to school in 05 it was harder for me because I cant do the handwriting as well. My handwriting is harder for me to do anymore and I cant do it as fast or as easily. I can type but that doesnt make it stick as well. The act of actually putting pen or pencil to paper is better.

DDD

Starbie, just want you to know I'm following your post and have the ultimate confidence that you will save many lives.
Hugs. DDD