Where do you check computer "memory"??

DDD

One of my work computers messaged that the memory was running low. I'd like to see "how low" if it's easy to check. DDD

buddy

did it say all memory (RAM) or virtual memory? I am no computer wiz but I have a computer that does that too, if it is virtual I will try to guide you but others may be better

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Right click on the START key and box will appear - scroll up to "Explore", highlight that and click. A box will appear.

In this box, right click on your "C:" drive and then scroll down the the "Properties" and highlight and click that.

A box will pop up and that will give you all the stats on your computer, i.e., version and memory, etc.

DDD

Well...I couldn't do it your way H&R but I ended up somewhere ?? that said:
Total Physical Memory 2.048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.09 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

I have no idea what that means, lol, but available memory sounds good. Maybe? DDD

DDD

The supplemental computer (which is a slave to the Master, by the way) says:
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 62.9 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00
Available Virtual Memory 1.96

Now that doesn't sound so honky dorry. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Many programs anymore, especially anything with graphics, are super memory hogs!!! Even when they're closed. Microsoft Office Clipboard is awful, too, if you do a lot of copy-paste.

First thing to to: shut down. Then turn it back on - this clears working memory. If that doesn't help, under System Tools (Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools), run Disk Defragmenter...

DDD

Wow! Believe it or not I know how to do a disc cleanup and a defrag. Amazing! Thanks. DDD

DammitJanet

You can get Advanced System Care (the free one) and use it weekly to do all the clean up and defragging stuff. I have the pro version but I had the free version for over a year. I love it.

keista

The physical memory is your hard drive. where you store pics and stuff. I think the alert you got was for virtual memory or RAM, and the alert can pop up at random times depending on what programs you are using or even how many windows you have open. Generally should not be a problem.

If you get this often, then you'll need to upgrade your computer because it's to old for your current purposes.

DDD

Keista it is old. Seems fitting, lol. The message just popped up again and said something like "your virtual memory is low and the system is doing ???". We'll see if it closes soon. Thanks. DDD

keista

Have you installed any new programs lately? Or started using a program you haven't used in a while? And is this the primary computer or the supplemental, or both?

keista

I just had son take a look at what you had posted with physical and virtual memory. I have been corrected. The physical memory they are talking about there is your RAM, and the virtual memory is 'provided' by your hard drive. Son's exact words were, "Holy *poop* that's an old machine!"

Is it still popping up? what are you doing when it comes up? What OS are you running?

Here's a link that tells you how to "fix" it. http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix_too_little_virtual_memory_in_windows.html

InsaneCdn

Gotta agree with Keista's son... although I wouldn't have used that exact language...

Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB = not nearly enough for most modern expectations.

Depending on which physical computer you have, it may be possible to double your RAM without putting too many $$ into it... depends on exactly "how old" the old machine is. (Tech explanation... the version of the Intel chip or equivalent determines how much RAM can be accessed, along with a million other things - lots of computers in the old days had a chip that would handle 512 mb RAM but shipped with 256 mb Ram - the extra memory was an "option" - and RAM at that point was expensive)

Just for comparison, the machine I'm on right this minute is my newest one... at it has 4 GB RAM... 1024 MB = 1 GB ... so my machine has something like 16x the memory of yours... and MINE runs out of memory sometimes. This one is a laptop with limited room... desktops are coming now with 8GB+ of RAM.

In reality, the only reason RAM becomes a problem is:
1) if you're doing a lot of stuff with graphics - because graphics are majorly RAM intensive, or
2) if you're doing a lot of stuff on the internet - because the internet is overloaded with extraneous stuff of all sorts.

If RAM is too low, system spends a lot of time "swapping" stuff from RAM to hard-drive and back - and not enough time doing "real work". There are checks built into the system, and when things take too long, the computer tries to take corrective action.

Hope that makes a TINY bit of sense.

Glossary:
GB = gigabytes = 1000 MB
MB = megabytes = 1000 KB
KB = kilobytes = 1000 bytes.

A bite can be used for lots of things, and what it can represent depends on how big it is. For many many years, a easy child "byte" was 8 "bits", and for comparison, represented one character (numbers are a whole different logic, as are machine instructions). Now, a "byte" can be 8, 16, 32, or 64 bits.

keista

The good news is that for basic applications, you can get a 'decent' machine for $200-$300. Since you just need the machine, and not the monitor or keyboard and such, a good upgrade is easily doable.

by the way Even if your current machine can accept a RAM upgrade, I think it would be really hard to find the correct old smaller RAM and ultimately not worth the time or even small investment it would take.

Make this machine last until Black Friday then find a replacement deal.

DDD

Thanks. Fortunately I have a capable computer guy. Guess I'll give him a call next week. by the way, the slave computer is almost never used for internet and 90% of the time is used just for business invoicing...and games husband plays. Weird.
DDD